Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

ok, so did you come for the money only??

ok, so did you come for the money only??

Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

UK PM 81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ok, so did you come for the money only??

Folks,

I just wanted to gather opinion….

If it wasn’t for the money (and how much you can save), would you actually have left the UK?

Anyone have any regrets?

What drove you out of the UK – crappy weather, lack of opportunity, poor work/lifestyle, or just change of scenery?

* Question is probably more relevant now that we are in a recession.

Cheers,
F
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ok, so did you come for the money only??

Must be a policeman or a tax inspector !!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coffindodger
Must be a policeman or a tax inspector !!

I can promise you I aint either!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK PM 81
Folks,

I just wanted to gather opinion….

If it wasn’t for the money (and how much you can save), would you actually have left the UK?

Anyone have any regrets?

What drove you out of the UK – crappy weather, lack of opportunity, poor work/lifestyle, or just change of scenery?

* Question is probably more relevant now that we are in a recession.

Cheers,
F
If you're asking people in, say, Dubai, you'll get a very different answer from the one you'll get from people in, say, Saudi.

In Dubai, people assume "No income tax" means "I'm rich, and I'm going to flaunt it". People who go to Saudi are more careful - by definition, as it's a much more restrictive lifestyle, so saving is seen as a greater incentive for toughing it out.

Leaving Dubai to go home with bigger debts than you came out with? Stupid, but all too common. Leaving Saudi with more debt? Unheard of.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:44 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Like all BEs - one of the three Ms: Missionary, Mercenary or Misfit...most probably fit in with the middle one !
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Dean
If you're asking people in, say, Dubai, you'll get a very different answer from the one you'll get from people in, say, Saudi.

In Dubai, people assume "No income tax" means "I'm rich, and I'm going to flaunt it". People who go to Saudi are more careful - by definition, as it's a much more restrictive lifestyle, so saving is seen as a greater incentive for toughing it out.

Leaving Dubai to go home with bigger debts than you came out with? Stupid, but all too common. Leaving Saudi with more debt? Unheard of.

Dean,

Fairly play to all those that can save.
I may be heading to Dubai shortly so I would be interested in responses from those who are in Dubai (should have stated that in my original post ).
I agree, there isnt much to do in KSA so saving is a given.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=The Dean;8619676]

Leaving Dubai to go home with bigger debts than you came out with? Stupid, ....for everything else theres MasterCard

Other credit cards are available!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

If it wasn't for the money I'd be on the next plane home! ( tax and savings)

I left the Uk as I was self employed and having a nightmare getting money out of my clients ( I'm still owed a few thousand for work I did over 12 months ago), work was getting harder to find and my day rate had come down. I was offered this job on a platter and decided it would be a good idea to sit the rest of the recession out (I was working predominantly as a stylist which would be counted as marketing which is one of the areas people cut back on first). I don't regret my decision, I've just paid off all my credit cards so even if I leave here with no savings in the bank I would have cleared all my debt in a short space of time, however I am planning on saving a house deposit whilst here so I can buy a little place in London when I go back which I would really struggle to do living there.

When I'm having a really bad day all that gets me through is the thought of going to look at flats in London knowing I'll be able to buy it and have my own little home! So yes completely here for hard cash!

PS I'm in Dubai
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kittycat1
If it wasn't for the money I'd be on the next plane home! ( tax and savings)

I left the Uk as I was self employed and having a nightmare getting money out of my clients ( I'm still owed a few thousand for work I did over 12 months ago), work was getting harder to find and my day rate had come down. I was offered this job on a platter and decided it would be a good idea to sit the rest of the recession out (I was working predominantly as a stylist which would be counted as marketing which is one of the areas people cut back on first). I don't regret my decision, I've just paid off all my credit cards so even if I leave here with no savings in the bank I would have cleared all my debt in a short space of time, however I am planning on saving a house deposit whilst here so I can buy a little place in London when I go back which I would really struggle to do living there.

When I'm having a really bad day all that gets me through is the thought of going to look at flats in London knowing I'll be able to buy it and have my own little home! So yes completely here for hard cash!

PS I'm in Dubai

Sounds good Kitty Kat - an honest answer based on purely money!

Buying a house/flat mortgage free is a very appealing thought.
If I make the move it will only be for the money, if the numbers add up then I will go. Obviously there is other considerations as part of the due diligence procedure.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK PM 81

If I make the move it will only be for the money, if the numbers add up then I will go. Obviously there is other considerations as part of the due diligence procedure.

Cheers.
.... yes, but you're going to Dubai, so you have to obey the rules:

1 - you MUST buy a car during the first week
2 - you must buy a jet ski during the second week
3 - you must borrow more money than you can afford to repay (you don't need to buy anything, but you must incur some big debts)
4 - you must move into a far bigger place than you lived in at home
5 - blah blah etc etc...............
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Dean
.... yes, but you're going to Dubai, so you have to obey the rules:

1 - you MUST buy a car during the first week
2 - you must buy a jet ski during the second week
3 - you must borrow more money than you can afford to repay (you don't need to buy anything, but you must incur some big debts)
4 - you must move into a far bigger place than you lived in at home
5 - blah blah etc etc...............
People came out to Dubai thinking the streets were paved with gold and they could continue living on credit. Obviously when things caught up, well you saw what happened. Expats leaving their keys in their cars and grabbing the next available flight home! No sympathy for those people.

I think its important to be frugile with your money. If you are heading out then you should have a certain target in your mind that you want to walk away with.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

I've spent 13 years as an expat in various parts of the Middle East and West Africa, and I've had some great experiences that really do push the money into second place. I mean it!

Yes, I've saved a fair amount, in fact practically all my earnings have gone straight into the bank/property as I am generally 'feather bedded' and am somewhat frugal by nature.

If I lost it all tomorrow - c'est la guerre - I've done some fantastic things and made some great friends along the way.

Everyone's got their reasons for being an expat - find that reason and you have your man/women. For me, it was a failed romance (long forgotten) and the thought of say 2 years away. However, those 2 years have expanded, and I could never really see myself working in the UK again.

...off for a run down Jeddah corniche now....
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
Like all BEs - one of the three Ms: Missionary, Mercenary or Misfit...most probably fit in with the middle one !
Well, I have just taken a significant pay cut (but probably still more than the UK ). Totally optional from my pespective - I work here as I like the challenge. The UK is too dull for what I do.

I guess, I'm a bit Missionary and Misfit... (that said, I came here initally for the money)

Last edited by Millhouse; Jun 8th 2010 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mortgage free!! I wish- should be able to save a 20% deposit though!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:22 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Money and adventure. Plus professional opportunities as well. I work in the design profession (landscape architecture if you must know) and working in Dubai during the boom offered a talented designer amazing opportunities to work on very cutting edge projects, leapfrog up the hierarchy and pocket money as well.

The boom's gone bust and those projects have largely disappeared or are finishing up, but life is still ticking along nicely for me. I have good friends, a job that is (amazingly so given the circumstances) stable enough and an excellent income.

I saved quite a bit while still having a pleasant life, and I intend to hold on out here for a few more years to come up with a hefty down payment on a decent pad in the UK. Not London, but somewhere in the southwest. A cottage with a few acres not too far from Bath or Winchester or Taunton. Then again if I marry while out here, I might stay even a few more years to start piling up funds for the dreaded school fees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.