Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ok job offer in......

Ok job offer in......

Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:45 pm
noobie

Mummyv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ok job offer in......

Without going into too much detail.. Job offer in Riyadh with villa in compound, car, utilities, medical, and schooling for two children, two flights a year home for family, £45k per annum. Hubby starting out there in early October, I will join him once iquama sorted.... 4 months ish on.
Questions:
1. Is this enough to live on over there and still have a good holiday a year?

2. Anything else we should be asking for?

3. Apart from organising our house for rental market, what else could I do in preparation?

4. What should I start stocking up on to ship out there? Marmite?

As you may be able to tell its a bit overwhelming at the mo!
Any advice greatly accepted.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Fugative is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ok job offer in......

Hi
Im in Jeddah but if ya gonna get 45k after housing and schooling + rest think you will be well ok.

Get prepared for the wait away from your hubby, the 1st 3 months are hardest, Riyahd is a little harder than rest of Saudi, but im sure if you take the adventure youll like it!

Good Luck!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

I don't do marmite so cannot comment on that, but everything else is available here- i can only think of books - you can expect to have a lot of time for reading. I have colleague who has been here in Riyadh with his wife for 27 years- refuses to go anywhere else in the ME because in all other ME countries you have to spend money.

My wife arrives today - it has taken me 8 months to get her out here and she will no doubt give me a long list of things that I should have told her to bring. I will let you know
Old Aug 16th 2010, 7:21 am
noobie

That's brilliant, thanks!
Old Aug 16th 2010, 8:33 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

GBP45K per annum is about SAR21,500 per month at current rates. Are you sure that's right?
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:03 pm
noobie

Just rechecking.................
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Marmite is in the supermarket at SR 21.5 a jar.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 5:53 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
GBP45K per annum is about SAR21,500 per month at current rates. Are you sure that's right?
LH - That's not too shabby if all of this is also also paid paid by employer, which is what the OP would imply....

Originally Posted by Mummyv
Job offer in Riyadh with villa in compound, car, utilities, medical, and schooling for two children, two flights a year home for family
I think most people will do ok with 21k SAR a month for what will pretty much just amount to just food shopping and entertainment....

Last edited by Welivehere; Aug 16th 2010 at 5:55 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

1. Is this enough to live on over there and still have a good holiday a year?

It is enough to live on and to have a couple of good holidays a year.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 10:58 am
noobie

Ok, the above as correct 260K SAR per annum.... Now it that really enough to live life and have holidays? Oh and for moi non working?
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:46 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, the above as correct 260K SAR per annum.... Now it that really enough to live life and have holidays? Oh and for moi non working?
If you don't have to pay for car, house and schooling (if you have kids) then yes it should be. Think about it for a second. That works out as about £4K a month to spend on..well, nothing in Riyadh!

Would I personally do it? No. Not just because of the money but because Riyadh is one of the few places in the world I will not consider living. Of course if you paid me £20K a month I may choose to ignore my principles for a year or two...
Old Aug 25th 2010, 5:00 pm
noobie

I ask with an openmind, why wouldnt you go to Riyadh? Not that you'll put me off, I'm up for an adventure!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 5:09 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I ask with an openmind, why wouldnt you go to Riyadh? Not that you'll put me off, I'm up for an adventure!
Two reasons mainly;

1. 400km to freedom
2. Much stricter than Khobar

I work in Saudi and live in Bahrain which makes life easier in many ways. You'll see what I mean the first time you go on a weekend trip to Bahrain.

My intention wasn't to put you off by the way. By all means I know plenty of people who love Saudi (and Riyadh), but I'm just not that keen. I wish you good luck, and like you say keep an open mind...