Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Oil prices? Impact?

Oil prices? Impact?

Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold
Default Oil prices? Impact?

So as you have seen, oil is down to $80 a barrel.

Production is going down as well, particularly in Qatar and Saudi.

Is there any talk in the region about what will that mean for expats, the economy and even social peace?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 12:24 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oil prices? Impact?

Originally Posted by NewCaledonia
So as you have seen, oil is down to $80 a barrel.

Production is going down as well, particularly in Qatar and Saudi.

Is there any talk in the region about what will that mean for expats, the economy and even social peace?
Dunno, but with instability in various quarters its got to be worth buying at that price.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

DubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura aboutDubInRiyadh has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Dunno, but with instability in various quarters its got to be worth buying at that price.
Took your advise and filled the car up with petrol this morning
Old Nov 17th 2014, 6:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DubInRiyadh
Took your advise and filled the car up with petrol this morning
Old Nov 27th 2014, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

At $69 once OPEC didn't get an agreement... now is up again.

It was at $105 back in July.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 3:55 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

General speculation is that OPEC has decided to let the price slide in order to counter growing US and Russian production.

US producers of shale oil need a price of about $70 per barrel to be profitable.

Russian production needs a price of about $50 per barrel to be profitable.

OPEC needs a price of $12 per barrel to be profitable.

Impact? short term: we all pay lower prices. long-term: if this continues, the US oil boom will subside, and they'll be buying Middle eastern oil again. Russia may go bankrupt.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 27th 2014 at 4:33 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Gobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond reputeGobobo has a reputation beyond repute

Impact on us? Well, petrol is cheaper than water so none there. ME countries have billions in cash in reserve and trillions in oil in reserve, so none there.

I agree, Russia, shale, deep water and fracking will suffer.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 10:43 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from Saudi, majority of ME countries need >100 to balance their budgets
Some such as Oman will be in big doo doo. They are talking about charging 2% tax on expat remittances to get more money.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 1:51 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Some such as Oman will be in big doo doo. They are talking about charging 2% tax on expat remittances to get more money.
Agreed. The costs cited in the post further above don't take into account the budgets which those countries have set. However, if Iran gets its shit together and strikes a deal with the West, and (probably a bit further in the future) if Iraq stabilises and production gets going there, they'll be a lot more oil on the market. But that's a couple of year off, I fear.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

I am surprised about this.

I assumed Qatar and UAE have more diversified economies, and way smaller local populations, so they would cope better than Saudi.

btw since I think u live in Oman, have u read this? What do you think?

UK's key Gulf ally Oman faces catastrophe from Opec oil price war - Telegraph
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 5:58 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

I assumed Qatar and UAE have more diversified economies, and way smaller local populations, so they would cope better than Saudi.
Dubai's airports account for 28% of the GDP and employ over 100,000 people. That is forecast to grow considerably.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 1:48 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised about this.

btw since I think u live in Oman, have u read this? What do you think?

UK's key Gulf ally Oman faces catastrophe from Opec oil price war - Telegraph
The article is too optimistic. The budget needs 110/bbl, and EOR oil costs more than 30/bbl to produce.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 1:52 pm
womble

18 months ago, the states were more honest

Abu Dhabi break-even for oil at $95, says Merrill Lynch report | The National
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Very interesting indeed.

It is almost funny that in the right side (Editor's Pick) I just saw this:

UAE expats priced out of their lives | The National

It just doesn't add up to me mixed with the oil prices.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 3:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

This was quite a good article:

BBC