Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Offshore Dubai and UK Tax??????

Offshore Dubai and UK Tax??????

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all
Default Re: Offshore Dubai and UK Tax??????

Originally Posted by RyanC
Im sure i said that 'i believe it may lead to it'
Only personal opinion
It is a balancing game played by the HMRC - of course they want us all to pay tax in the UK and they need to make it difficult for us not to. On the other hand if they make it any more difficult then we will not remit any money back to UK and we will all go and live in Thailand.

For most of us the new rules, which were intended to add clarity and definition but have been purposely F***d up by the HMRC, will have no affect. If you have a contract of employment lasting a full tax year and you spend no more than 90 days in the UK you will be non resident.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
It is a balancing game played by the HMRC - of course they want us all to pay tax in the UK and they need to make it difficult for us not to. On the other hand if they make it any more difficult then we will not remit any money back to UK and we will all go and live in Thailand.

For most of us the new rules, which were intended to add clarity and definition but have been purposely F***d up by the HMRC, will have no affect. If you have a contract of employment lasting a full tax year and you spend no more than 90 days in the UK you will be non resident.
That is no longer true for everyone for 2013/14 onwards. I have posted the relevant info on that issue. If you have three 'ties' and spend 90 days in the UK in the tax year you will be treated as resident and this liable for income tax.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Meow
That is no longer true for everyone for 2013/14 onwards. I have posted the relevant info on that issue. If you have three 'ties' and spend 90 days in the UK in the tax year you will be treated as resident and this liable for income tax.
I understand that the HMRC guidance proposes that the automatic test for non residence (third test) will be that if you are overseas on a contract of employment for a full tax year, do not spend more than 91 days in uk and do not work in uk for more than 30 days in a tax year then you are automatically non resident. If the automatic test is met then the connection ties are not relevant. So for most of us the situation is unchanged. But the finance bill is still in the mixer so we will have to wait and see.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
There are a lot of tax evasion questions popping up lately.

I'm thinking of putting up a how to commit fraud or rob a bank thread - let's see the thoughts of people on those subjects.

N.
I have been considering the options for giving up the expat life and boosting my retirement income (no matter how long I spend as an expat - 35 years so far) I will never have enough to retire. So I think I now need to follow up the other options.

I can see fraud as being a bit of a pain in the neck too much effort and too long to get a decent return. The bank robbing option however appeals, I would just want to do a one off and get a reasonable return. Any advice on location and remitting the proceeds back to UK tax free ?.