Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Offshore Dubai and UK Tax??????

Offshore Dubai and UK Tax??????

Old Feb 18th 2013, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

david999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Offshore Dubai and UK Tax??????

Hmmm, this is all very confusing, they never make it simple!!
So according to Meows link, does that mean if you own a house in the UK you are considered 'resident'?

Regards
David
Old Feb 18th 2013, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you are working abroad and stay out of the UK for most of the tax year.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by david999
So according to Meows link, does that mean if you own a house in the UK you are considered 'resident'?

Regards
David
nope.... depends on how long you have lived abroad how many days you step foot on uk soil etc etc.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:55 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
David
Nope, the key concession is to leave the UK to work on a full time employment contract for at least a full tax year, and limit your visits to the UK. See HMRC6 Section 8.5. The rules might change in April, but this concession still applies.

That's my take on things anyway, but here's what the experts say:

HMRC

Pinsent Masons

KPMG

[J]

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Feb 18th 2013 at 3:00 am.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:34 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of tax evasion questions popping up lately.

I'm thinking of putting up a how to commit fraud or rob a bank thread - let's see the thoughts of people on those subjects.

N.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:11 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
David
No. Read it properly. Owning a house to which you have access is a 'connecting factor' only.

I think it is quite simple as you fall one of several categories and the number of days permitted in the UK to be considered UK non-resident for tax purposes is quite clear. The tables are on the link for anyone to use.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
There are a lot of tax evasion questions popping up lately.

I'm thinking of putting up a how to commit fraud or rob a bank thread - let's see the thoughts of people on those subjects.

N.
bit of a difference not wanting to pay Uk tax when you dont even live there mate.

Last edited by StublueKPL; Feb 23rd 2013 at 9:14 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hey steady on, nothing illegal about not paying UK tax if you're not in the country, I wasn't asking about tax avoidance after all!!
I just don't fully understand all the ins and outs of the tax system, to me it isn't that simple.

David

Last edited by david999; Feb 23rd 2013 at 11:46 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 11:54 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hey steady on, nothing illegal about not paying UK tax if you're not in the country, I wasn't asking about tax avoidance after all!!
I just don't fully understand all the ins and outs of the tax system, to me it isn't that simple.

David
Well actually, it could be illegal, as simply not being in the country doesn't mean you are automatically non-resident for tax purposes.

You may also like to note that tax avoidance is the legal exploitation of the tax system using sanctioned rules; whereas tax evasion is an attempt to evade the payment of taxes due by illegal means.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Sorry Meow, I had meant to say non resident rather than just out of the country.....and I always get the terms avoidance and evasion mixed up!!
Glad you're here to keep me on the straight and narrow.
But as long as Her Majesty's tax people are happy, then I'm happy.

Regards
David
Old Feb 24th 2013, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that they are planning on getting a lot stricter regards dependents etc back home. I believe eventually you may not even be allowed to own property in the uk and be classed as a non-resident
Old Feb 24th 2013, 6:41 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by RyanC
I know that they are planning on getting a lot stricter regards dependents etc back home. I believe eventually you may not even be allowed to own property in the uk and be classed as a non-resident
That's not true. Some scaremongering there and I presume you haven't read the link I directed people to that has the facts. Yes the rules are changing and if you have a home in the UK available for your use that is a 'connnecting factor' which could lead to the number of days you may spend in the UK being reduced if you wish to retain non-residency status.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
That's not true. Some scaremongering there and I presume you haven't read the link I directed people to that has the facts. Yes the rules are changing and if you have a home in the UK available for your use that is a 'connnecting factor' which could lead to the number of days you may spend in the UK being reduced if you wish to retain non-residency status.
Im sure i said that 'i believe it may lead to it'
Only personal opinion
Old Feb 24th 2013, 8:25 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by RyanC
Im sure i said that 'i believe it may lead to it'
Only personal opinion
And my comments are factual.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Meow
And my comments are factual.
Oh Ryan, sorry mate but that's 1-0 to Meow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.