Offshore Banking Advise

Offshore Banking Advise

Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:17 pm
Banned

J0nah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Offshore Banking Advise

Originally Posted by mdb2009
Hi and Help,

I am to start a new job / life in Saudi next month coming from the UK, for the time being my wife and family will back in Blightly, and therefore I need to send money to the UK to pay for mortgage and bills. I would also want to put money into an account that my wife can access easily. (I know I'm Brave / trusting)

Do you have any advise on offshore banking, working off the princple that I will start with nothing.... no £25000 nest egg to open offshore accounts with I'm affraid!!

Cheers,

OBTW can't go near RBS,........
If your wife will be living in the UK then surely it is best/easiest/most convenient for her to open a UK based bank account, I'm sure there are plenty of options of who you can use, and due to the amounts involved tax on interest is largely irrelevant - and your wife is UK Res anyway so unable to claim non residency!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

Norm- I saw that as well- is a bit steep.

- not concerned about the savings interest- offshore for me primarily for ease of inexpensive access during holidays or, should something happen to me, to tide things over.

Who do you use?

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Lloyds charge you around 7 or 8 quid a month just for having the account regardless of how much you use it...also they generally require silly amounts of paperwork for expats if you're not an existing account holder. You'd better opening an account that only charges you as you use it and provides a debit card if you are using it as your main current account.

N
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:01 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
Norm- I saw that as well- is a bit steep.

- not concerned about the savings interest- offshore for me primarily for ease of inexpensive access during holidays or, should something happen to me, to tide things over.

Who do you use?
I use Standard Bank...I also broker them as I'm an IFA and they are good and have more of a personal touch than most of the highstreet banks. If you need more info feel free to PM me.

N.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Location: Bouncing between Manama Bahrain and Kissonerga, Paphos
ArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really niceArranLass is just really nice

I use Standard Bank...I also broker them as I'm an IFA and they are good and have more of a personal touch than most of the highstreet banks. If you need more info feel free to PM me.

N.
Standard Bank have a deal with a very large firm of offshore financial advisors, the majority of whom have no qualifications. Standard Banks application form is given to every person who joins the company. So be wary, although you aren't going to get a great rate on any offshore current account.

Speak to the senior management in your company, they will have experience of offshore banks and may there may be benefits to banking with the same bank as your employer. More importantly, get your bank in the UK to send you an R85 form if you haven't filled one in already and send it back, it won't make any difference if you moved recently. This will stop your UK account being taxed at source. Then you have time to save enough to open an account with the bank of your choice.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:20 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
I'm getting about 2.5% on a UK based 7 day notice account. You also get better protection if things go wrong compared with offshore.

However, you have to pay UK tax on the interest earned in these accounts, regardless of your residency status.

Regarding your last point, that is not quite correct. You can apply for interest to be paid gross (with most deposit taker) and provided you are UK non-resident for tax purposes, you will not be liable for tax on UK income below your personal allowance.

-
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:23 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArranLass
Standard Bank have a deal with a very large firm of offshore financial advisors, the majority of whom have no qualifications. Standard Banks application form is given to every person who joins the company. So be wary, although you aren't going to get a great rate on any offshore current account.

Speak to the senior management in your company, they will have experience of offshore banks and may there may be benefits to banking with the same bank as your employer. More importantly, get your bank in the UK to send you an R85 form if you haven't filled one in already and send it back, it won't make any difference if you moved recently. This will stop your UK account being taxed at source. Then you have time to save enough to open an account with the bank of your choice.
Of course, bank accounts are not a regulated area of financial services.

Senior management in all companies have experience of offshore banks? Since when? Funny that so many senior managers are my clients and prefer to get advice from a qualified and experienced adviser.

-
Old Jun 15th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
Regarding your last point, that is not quite correct. You can apply for interest to be paid gross (with most deposit taker) and provided you are UK non-resident for tax purposes, you will not be liable for tax on UK income below your personal allowance.

-
You are quite correct.

So in such circumstances where is the benefit of off-shore accounts as compared with UK based accounts!!
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:10 pm
Bored liberal

You are quite correct.

So in such circumstances where is the benefit of off-shore accounts as compared with UK based accounts!!
Depends on the amount invested as your personal allowance is just £6,475. There is also a tax issue for many people in remitting capital (as opposed to income) to the UK.

In additional not all UK acounts are available to non-residents and quite a few deposit takers will not pay gross interest.

-
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:16 pm
Banned

You are quite correct.

Probably Standard Chartered paying a $50/$100 introducer fee to an IFA

my wife and family will back in Blightly.....working off the princple that I will start with nothing How much tax do you pay on zero income from savings???
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:28 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by J0nah
Probably Standard Chartered paying a $50/$100 introducer fee to an IFA

my wife and family will back in Blightly.....working off the princple that I will start with nothing How much tax do you pay on zero income from savings???

Some people have money. Just because you don't and there are fewer benefits, doesn't mean that offshore accounts aren't suitable for other people.

Now why not tell us about something you do know about. What's the best way to flip a burger?

-
Old Jun 15th 2009, 12:38 pm
Banned

Some people have money. Just because you don't and there are fewer benefits, doesn't mean that offshore accounts aren't suitable for other people.

Now why not tell us about something you do know about. What's the best way to flip a burger?

-
Dunno, cooking is womens work
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:32 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArranLass
Standard Bank aren't the only bank who will accept new accounts from unqualified advisors...all I know is that I use them myself and it works for me and a number of my clients seem quite happy with them so why the need to be wary? It's a current account in a well regulated market, not an investment...and a LOT safer than keeping your liquid assets in a UAE account

N.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:34 pm

-

N.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:51 pm
Banned

Standard Bank aren't the only bank who will accept new accounts from unqualified advisors...all I know is that I use them myself and it works for me and a number of my clients seem quite happy with them so why the need to be wary? It's a current account in a well regulated market, not an investment...and a LOT safer than keeping your liquid assets in a UAE account

N.
account in a well regulated market, not an investmen Tell that to those with accounts at Kaupthing Singer Friedlander IOM
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:15 pm