Reload this Page >

offer in AD - need advice on package and other questions

offer in AD - need advice on package and other questions

Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:19 am
Just Joined

angiechia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default offer in AD - need advice on package and other questions

Hello

My husband has been offered a job in AD on a family package (2 adults, 2 children), with the followig:
* basic 25k/mth
* education 21k/yr/child (my girls are 9 and 13 yrs old)
* housing/transport 18k/mth
*annual return trip to home country for all
* medical ins for all
* life ins for himself

Is this a good package for us to live comfortably?

I did a search online for international schools, and found that most have fees ranging from 35k/yr to even 60k/yr. Am I right about this? Fees there seems rather high.

Are there any good schools that you can recommend? It would be ideal if the two girls can be in the same school, since they will likely be in primary and secondary levels respectively. I am open to any kind of curriculum - British, IB ..

What about housing? Reading through some posts on this forum, places like Mangrove, Al Raha keeps popping up. I suppose these are prime locations? Are there any schools nearby these areas?

What is KCA? I seem to see that quite often also, but can't find anything in searches online.

I am not familiar with the geography of AD, so it's rather hard for me to link places to where they actually are on the google map.

This question may sound funny - but where should I start? Look for a school first? then find a house nearby? or vice versa? or some other approach?

Speaking of houses - I am also quite confused. Are town houses the same as villas? Prices of a 2-bedroom villa varies so much too, from 50k/yr to 300k/yr. This is due to the location? Also,are house rentals there furnished?

sorry for all that questions, and many thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: offer in AD - need advice on package and other questions

To start with the employer has to offer medical cover to your whole family by law, not just to your husband. This for people on AD visas only.

I'd say the accommodation allowance is far to small as rents are still very high in AD. You won't get anything doe AED 50K a year. More like AED 250k+ for a villa I think. Posters based in AD will have a better idea of rents though.

-
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:13 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

250k is what you want to ask for to cover housing.

35 - 60 for school is correct, is the 21k meant to cover both kids?

With what you've quoted you would be spending most of the salary on school, housing, and transportation.

I'm looking into these things right now as we are moving to AD from Al Ain in a few months.

Not a terrible package to start negotiations with probably.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Hi Aikman

the 21k is for per child per yr, so we will be getting 42k/yr, which is still insufficient considering the high fees there, I guess.

thanks for the point about insurance, Meow. Is there anything else he should be asking/clarifying with the company before signing?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:14 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

What bugs me is that companies know how much the fee's are at any reputable school, so why even bother offering a lot lower.

Nobody is going to jeopardize their childrens education but putting them in a sub standard school

Same for housing...they know how much a 3 bed villa/apartment is...

I'd gauge the quality of this company on the standards that they deem acceptable to an employee and his/her family.

In this case...shit
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:05 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
What bugs me is that companies know how much the fee's are at any reputable school, so why even bother offering a lot lower.

Nobody is going to jeopardize their childrens education but putting them in a sub standard school

Same for housing...they know how much a 3 bed villa/apartment is...

I'd gauge the quality of this company on the standards that they deem acceptable to an employee and his/her family.

In this case...shit
yes they are trying it on and it is amazing how many people don't bother to do any research before they get here, at least this poster is getting things sorted out before moving, IF they do move.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I think its a pretty reasonable package all things considered. Bearing in mind the company could save thousands by recruiting a single person, I think AED42K for schooling is generous. My company pays zilch.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:12 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Personally I think its a pretty reasonable package all things considered. Bearing in mind the company could save thousands by recruiting a single person, I think AED42K for schooling is generous. My company pays zilch.
And what renowned british ciriculum school is your child at?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Lionheart

I do not agree with you. for someone hired on a single package, the company will have to provide more home trips, so the money saved on these trips are just being transferred to that for kids' education. Also, for one on a single package, there is a higher chance that he may call it a day, due to loneliness, homesickness or whatever. Someone on a family will be more likely to stay on for the entirety of the contract. This saves the company plenty of $ to advertise and time lost to recruit and train new staff. JMO
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Can I also check on annual leave, home leave etc. What is the standard practice (number of days) in companies in AD?

What about gratuity? one month for one year?

does anyone have any advice/recommendation with regards to school and housing, please?

Can anyone direct me to some websites for property rental and second car dealers?

Thank you for your time!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:39 pm
banned

Originally Posted by angiechia
Lionheart

I do not agree with you. for someone hired on a single package, the company will have to provide more home trips, so the money saved on these trips are just being transferred to that for kids' education. Also, for one on a single package, there is a higher chance that he may call it a day, due to loneliness, homesickness or whatever. Someone on a family will be more likely to stay on for the entirety of the contract. This saves the company plenty of $ to advertise and time lost to recruit and train new staff. JMO
I disagree with that, more than likely it is family's who quit due to wife or kids not settling...single status tends to get more work done (less distractions)

Just my opinion as a manager of both family and singley's on rotation
Old Nov 17th 2009, 12:55 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I disagree with that, more than likely it is family's who quit due to wife or kids not settling...single status tends to get more work done (less distractions)

Just my opinion as a manager of both family and singley's on rotation
That last line is down right racist.....

Ohh...

Sorry....

Misread 'singleys'.....
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:03 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiechia
Lionheart

the company does not have to provide more home trips, if he was on a single status he would be given one return air fare a year. You are way out of pocket on rent and schooling as it is. I would give it a miss or renegotiate.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Ha ha commander

very interesting view, indeed. From our perspective, since we are going to disrupt whatever the children (and we) are doing to uproot, we will want to and put in our best to stay on and complete the job. It is really alot of trouble relocating - housing, furnishing, school, friends, lifestyle changes etc. If we terminate it midway and return, I dare not imagine.

ps. may i ask what is a majlis? Is it some kind of small room?

thanks
Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Just wondering, are there really any schools whose fees are 21k/yr? I only checked on a few schools, but not all. I was not sure if those I checked were the more costly ones? I'm just wondering why the company would offer only 21k/child, unless it is a standard practice that companies pay part of the school fees and we the other part?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.