Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Obtaining International Drivers Licence in UAE

Obtaining International Drivers Licence in UAE

Old Nov 25th 2011, 1:44 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Obtaining International Drivers Licence in UAE

We are returning for Easter to UK from Dubai.

I have just booked hire car in UK from manchester Airport. The conditions state that I must present either UK drivers licence or International Drivers Licence.

I have realised my UK licence is at home in UK, so need to get an International Licence to be able to drive the hire car away.

Anybody know how/where/if I can do this in Dubai and how much it might cost

Thanks
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

winter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to allwinter is a name known to all
Default Re: Obtaining International Drivers Licence in UAE

I was in the UK, in July, hired a car, I used my UAE licence, no problem. Maybe things have changed.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:11 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter
I was in the UK, in July, hired a car, I used my UAE licence, no problem. Maybe things have changed.
I was wondering that too. I have contacted their enquiries to check

Thanks
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
We are returning for Easter to UK from Dubai.

I have just booked hire car in UK from manchester Airport. The conditions state that I must present either UK drivers licence or International Drivers Licence.

I have realised my UK licence is at home in UK, so need to get an International Licence to be able to drive the hire car away.

Anybody know how/where/if I can do this in Dubai and how much it might cost

Thanks
in abu dhabi you can get them from aaa so assuming the same thing in dubai
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by winter
no you can use your uae licence, in fact if you are hiring in the uk you shouldnt be using your uk licence anyways, as you are a non resident
Old Nov 25th 2011, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it only cost something like 50 or 100 dhs.

look here for information in dubai

http://www.aaauae.com/membership.html
Old Nov 25th 2011, 7:28 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
no you can use your uae licence, in fact if you are hiring in the uk you shouldnt be using your uk licence anyways, as you are a non resident
So, what is the case if you still own a property in the UK to which your UK driving licence is registered? And you are also registered as a non UK resident? Does the fact that you are non-resident cancel your UK driving licence despite the fact that you still own property there?

Doesn't apply to us, don't own property in UK anyway. Just interested to know if anybody knows the answer as we know quite a few people in that situation.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 5:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hnd
So, what is the case if you still own a property in the UK to which your UK driving licence is registered? And you are also registered as a non UK resident? Does the fact that you are non-resident cancel your UK driving licence despite the fact that you still own property there?

Doesn't apply to us, don't own property in UK anyway. Just interested to know if anybody knows the answer as we know quite a few people in that situation.
this has been mentioned a lot. yes if you do own a property in uk but you are non resident you cannot use your uk licence as if you were to have an accident the insurance policies "usually" only apply to uk residents so to be safe use your uae driving licence. once you go back to live in uk and become resident then you legally can start to use your uk licence etc again