British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Obtaining Child Places in Dubai Schools... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/obtaining-child-places-dubai-schools-526970/)

ScotsExpat Apr 5th 2008 8:54 am

Obtaining Child Places in Dubai Schools...

Can anyone give me the inside scoop as to whether there is a 'shortcut' to getting kids into a school over here...

I have contacted JPS, DBS and Wellington and all have simply advised me that there is a waiting list and that they will know better once the new term starts...

Now, I am over here already, waiting to find out which school my kids are going to before deciding where to find a villa and get them over..

I am pretty sure there are people on that list who either havent arrived over yet or are simply hedging bets while waiting on an offer etc...

Is there anything I can say or do to queue jump???

IndieG Apr 5th 2008 9:04 am

Re: Obtaining Child Places in Dubai Schools...

Put them on the wait-list. Very transient place - so lots of kids leaving/joining schools - happens even in the middle of a term.

How old are your kids?

ScotsExpat Apr 5th 2008 9:08 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 6162308)
Put them on the wait-list. Very transient place - so lots of kids leaving/joining schools - happens even in the middle of a term.

How old are your kids?

9 and 7......

Blue Cat Apr 5th 2008 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6162320)
9 and 7......

there are places to be had just depends which school you want them in at the end of the day. I advise that you register with all the ones you like and then wait and see which ones get back to you offering you places.

ScotsExpat Apr 6th 2008 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6163439)
there are places to be had just depends which school you want them in at the end of the day. I advise that you register with all the ones you like and then wait and see which ones get back to you offering you places.

An easier way to do this may be to find out which schools run buses to and from our preferred location for a house (Springs/Meadows etc..)..

Is there anyone in that area that knows which schools do arrange transport from that area??

Madam Medusa Apr 6th 2008 8:14 am

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat (Post 6165947)
An easier way to do this may be to find out which schools run buses to and from our preferred location for a house (Springs/Meadows etc..)..

Is there anyone in that area that knows which schools do arrange transport from that area??

i think most schools have transport...did you look at horizon, they only go to 11 so may not be ideal, but it's a great school (sure IG will support me on that) and a feeder for some of the really good secondary schools...

MM, xx

ScotsExpat Apr 6th 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6166078)
i think most schools have transport...did you look at horizon, they only go to 11 so may not be ideal, but it's a great school (sure IG will support me on that) and a feeder for some of the really good secondary schools...

MM, xx

Ta, MM.. Will send the details to OH and let her have a look...

Blue Cat Apr 7th 2008 7:46 am

Try DBS, Dubai British School it is on the Springs so you might hit lucky and end up living close enough to drive there! I don't have any experience of the school other than some friends who have children there. Is the Mrs not gonna drive then!