British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   NQT Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/nqt-dubai-570989/)

guest 5678 Nov 3rd 2008 8:46 pm

NQT Dubai

Hi guys,

I qualified as an NQT in July and am desperate to find a primary teaching post in Dubai as soon as possible. I have registered with several agencies, some discounting my prospects due to my lack of experience but others saying I might have a chance. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Could anybody suggest anything more I can do? I check as many sites as I can find each day. It has also been rather frustrating as some recruitment consultants do not return my calls or answer my emails.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give me! Feel free to send me a private message. Thanks so much.

Hello.Kitty Nov 4th 2008 1:39 pm

Re: NQT Dubai

Originally Posted by guest 5678 (Post 6936926)
Hi guys,

I qualified as an NQT in July and am desperate to find a primary teaching post in Dubai as soon as possible. I have registered with several agencies, some discounting my prospects due to my lack of experience but others saying I might have a chance. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Could anybody suggest anything more I can do? I check as many sites as I can find each day. It has also been rather frustrating as some recruitment consultants do not return my calls or answer my emails.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone could give me! Feel free to send me a private message. Thanks so much.

hehe - I first read your thread title as "NOT Dubai"!... hmm, anyway...

It may be worth contacting schools directly, seeing as they are all private. I have no knowledge of the schools or schooling system out here, but if my local nursery is anything to go by, they like to have native english speakers lead the class, with untrained (well, no teaching qualifications...) assistants as support.

I don't know if lots of teachers are trying to come over from the uk or not, but depending on that, your current lack of experience may be overlooked.

Good luck!

Oh, and recruitment consultants the world over can be a bit funny like that - never take it personally!

guest 5678 Nov 4th 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks so much Kitty!

I'll keep at it. My theory/hope is that with all the expat schools out there, they can't find vastly experienced teachers for every post - surely not everyone can relocate so easily?!

And cheers for confimring that recruitment consultants aren't always reliable! I've left numerous messages for one and still not got a reply! Annoying as they had contacted me last week with a promising lead.

Thanks again.

Hello.Kitty Nov 4th 2008 4:48 pm

yeah, I get them phoning me up like they're some long-lost buddy asking what I'm up to and when I say "maternity leave" they wind up the conversation pretty sharpish!

Be aware that the schools here can follow various curriculums - UK, USA, etc... - so find out who does what before you contact them!