Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Now Disneyland comes to Dubai...

Now Disneyland comes to Dubai...

Old May 14th 2005, 5:50 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Now Disneyland comes to Dubai...

I came across this article and I thought it would make for an interesting read....

News Wire Agency Services

Dubai, United Arab Emirates (May 12, 2005) -- Dubai-based master planning agency Nakheel (DSE: NKHL) is secretly in talks with the Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DSNY) to build their fourth overseas theme park resort in the emirate of Dubai.

Plans call for a fourth Palm Island, of which Nakheel has already built one, with two under construction in varying phases, to house this one-of-a-kind Disney park -- globally acclaimed around the world.

<snip-c/p and all that>

Last edited by Bob; May 14th 2005 at 3:34 pm. Reason: copyright issues
Old May 14th 2005, 6:29 am
W10

Default Re: Now Disneyland comes to Dubai...

Which wire was this on Face? A joke surely?

Isn't Nakheel building Dubailand as well? Why would they want to build and fund what would probably be a direct and more succesful competitor?

Old May 14th 2005, 7:21 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by W10

Isn't Nakheel building Dubailand as well? Why would they want to build and fund what would probably be a direct and more succesful competitor?
Came across the article on another website... seems reliable enough, but as the article states, it is still in the discussion/planning stages, still interesting though.

Who knows if its true or not, most of the projects they announce are hard to believe anyway.
Old May 14th 2005, 8:03 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by W10

hmmmmmm............ I hould have known better than to trust a yank....

just got a confession out of the bloke that broke this story....

tis all made up! :angry: Said he did it for a laugh to see what sort of a reaction he would get out of people living in Dubai. Idiot!

Sorry folks.
Old May 14th 2005, 8:09 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
hmmmmmm............ I hould have known better than to trust a yank....

just got a confession out of the bloke that broke this story....

tis all made up! :angry: Said he did it for a laugh to see what sort of a reaction he would get out of people living in Dubai. Idiot!

Sorry folks.

Ah I'm sad now - I love Mickey Mouse
Old May 14th 2005, 8:13 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Fairydust

Ah I'm sad now - I love Mickey Mouse
I was disappointed as well..... he is an absolute fool for making up something like this.
Old May 14th 2005, 8:14 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

I was disappointed as well..... he is an absolute fool for making up something like this.

Funny I noticed there is no disney stores or warner bros. here - wonder why that is
Old May 14th 2005, 8:19 am
The Oracle

Funny I noticed there is no disney stores or warner bros. here - wonder why that is
There used to be a huge Warner Brothers store at CC. It was right by Cinestar Cinemas, opposite Costas Coffee. Dunno why they closed it down.

I am sure there will be one at one of the new malls.
Old May 14th 2005, 9:52 am
W10

Funny I noticed there is no disney stores here - wonder why that is
Michael Eisner perhaps?

Ironic considering Walt was rumoured to be a Nazi sympathiser.

Old May 14th 2005, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud ofshoushou has much to be proud of

Dubai in Disneyland!!!!
That was my idea
Old May 14th 2005, 10:01 am
W10

Sorry folks.
Well to be fair Face...most of Dubai's projects are ridiculous and even we all laugh at them.

I think most of the architects that have been working on Dubai projects over the past 15 years need to be shot. Just take a drive up SZR for a prime example on how not to design a building.

Old May 14th 2005, 11:33 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by W10
Well to be fair Face...most of Dubai's projects are ridiculous and even we all laugh at them.

I think most of the architects that have been working on Dubai projects over the past 15 years need to be shot. Just take a drive up SZR for a prime example on how not to design a building.

errrrrrrrmmmmmm....... I suppose so, but not all of the skyscrapers down SZR are badly designed, there are some very nice ones as well.
Old May 14th 2005, 12:36 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

i wonder who would walking around in the summer in 'dubai disneyland'???
Old May 14th 2005, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

errrrrrrrmmmmmm....... I suppose so, but not all of the skyscrapers down SZR are badly designed, there are some very nice ones as well.
True - my Dad's an architect and he thinks Emirates Towers are awesome. He also reckons the Burj Al Arab is one of a rare breed of buildings that looks far better from the outside than the inside and I can't say I disagree with him.
Old May 14th 2005, 1:42 pm
W10

Emirates Towers are beautiful, DIFC is stunning as well, the Shangi-la is a lovely building.

So that's three out of about 50 plus skyscrapers on SZR?

The Burj is a head***** from the inside. Especially if you look down at the lobby from the health spa. I think it was designed to look surreal, like a colourful vortex or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.