British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   For Nov: Black Beauty (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/nov-black-beauty-273889/)

joseph.creative Dec 27th 2004 8:07 am

For Nov: Black Beauty

Black Beauty... horse, camel or human?

Black Beauty was the only book written by Anna Sewell, although its continued popularity among children, particularly girls, has justified that effort. Sewell was, remarkably, paid only twenty pounds for the book and it was published three months before her death, in 1877. However, its immediate success gave her great pleasure and she died in the knowledge that the book had indeed encouraged people to treat animals less cruelly. It is the autobiography of a horse, the ‘Black Beauty’ of the title, who narrates it. Through various owners who ask different tasks of Black Beauty, he grows and has numerous adventures. He goes from being a riding and carriage horse through being a mistreated town cab horse to eventual happiness in a secure home. Notably, the animal keeps strength and good temper throughout his suffering and the story was extremely influential as pro-animal propaganda but it is also an extremely exciting and moving children’s story.

kittykaboodle Dec 27th 2004 8:18 am

Re: For Nov: Black Beauty

Originally Posted by joseph.creative

Black Beauty was the only book written by Anna Sewell, although its continued popularity among children, particularly girls, has justified that effort. Sewell was, remarkably, paid only twenty pounds for the book and it was published three months before her death, in 1877. However, its immediate success gave her great pleasure and she died in the knowledge that the book had indeed encouraged people to treat animals less cruelly. It is the autobiography of a horse, the ‘Black Beauty’ of the title, who narrates it. Through various owners who ask different tasks of Black Beauty, he grows and has numerous adventures. He goes from being a riding and carriage horse through being a mistreated town cab horse to eventual happiness in a secure home. Notably, the animal keeps strength and good temper throughout his suffering and the story was extremely influential as pro-animal propaganda but it is also an extremely exciting and moving children’s story.

If I may add further to this piece of trivia, Anna Sewell lived in Great Yarmouth(as did Kitty have the misfortune too!)where she wrote Black Beauty!

Kitty :)

Malteser Dec 27th 2004 8:33 am

Originally Posted by kittykaboodle
If I may add further to this piece of trivia, Anna Sewell lived in Great Yarmouth(as did Kitty have the misfortune too!)where she wrote Black Beauty!

Kitty :)

Wow some smart ppl in here eh!!!!

Thnx for info xxxxxxxx

Crying Freeman Dec 27th 2004 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Malteser
Wow some smart ppl in here eh!!!!

Thnx for info xxxxxxxx

Nah its called Google :p

Malteser Dec 27th 2004 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Crying Freeman
Nah its called Google :p

Aahhh thanks CF, there I was thinkin JC was a smartass hehe. Kidding I am sure he is. Smartass in crutches, hope ure feelin bit better today :)

Truth Speak Dec 27th 2004 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Malteser
Aahhh thanks CF, there I was thinkin JC was a smartass hehe. Kidding I am sure he is. Smartass in crutches, hope ure feelin bit better today :)

Joe is just bored and pissed off....he then likes taking the p..s out of people.... get well soon Joe, & Smiiiillllleeee

novita77 Dec 27th 2004 9:54 am

Joe, thanks for the information. Can imagine u must be dead bored in ur hometown at the moment.

I do hope u get well soon....

Jellybean Dec 27th 2004 11:54 am

ahhhh brings back many childhood memories :D

joseph.creative Dec 27th 2004 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Jellybean
ahhhh brings back many childhood memories :D

so Jools use to mistreat horses as a child.... interesting.... but scary....

joseph.creative Dec 27th 2004 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
Joe is just bored and pissed off....he then likes taking the p..s out of people.... get well soon Joe, & Smiiiillllleeee

actually am fine and quite happy.... the freezing temps and not being able to walk properly and the hangover today may have something to do with it!

i never take the pXXs but then nor do u! lol

Jellybean Dec 27th 2004 12:03 pm

so Jools use to mistreat horses as a child.... interesting.... but scary....

Wahey i'm quite handy with a horse whip JC :D

joseph.creative Dec 27th 2004 12:06 pm

will buy u a camel whip for ur 41st.

Jammy_Dodgers Dec 27th 2004 12:07 pm

You've been spending too much time with Sophie..! :D

Jellybean Dec 27th 2004 12:11 pm