Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is this normal here?

Is this normal here?

Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all
Default Is this normal here?

I was in my hotel room today where we have been living for the past 4 months when there was a knock on the door. My 3 year old decided that he wanted to open it and, as I thought it was the cleaner returning to finish the job he started, I let him. I was really shocked to see a young woman standing there dressed in her abaya (her face was not covered) who began jabbering away to my son. When I got to the door I suddenly realised what was happening - she was begging! I was totally shocked, we are on the 12th floor with a couple of security guards in the foyer downstairs. I told her that I didn't have any cash and then she started asking me for food. I pretended I couldn't understand what she was saying before saying goodbye and shutting the door. The thing is, I sort of feel bad about turning her away. I have no problem giving homeless, hungry people money/food, etc. but I really don't think they should be knocking on my door. Is this normal here? Anyway, my 10 year old decided that she couldn't be that poor as she had a bag with sequins on it!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:19 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this normal here?

Originally Posted by cherrypie1
I was in my hotel room today where we have been living for the past 4 months when there was a knock on the door. My 3 year old decided that he wanted to open it and, as I thought it was the cleaner returning to finish the job he started, I let him. I was really shocked to see a young woman standing there dressed in her abaya (her face was not covered) who began jabbering away to my son. When I got to the door I suddenly realised what was happening - she was begging! I was totally shocked, we are on the 12th floor with a couple of security guards in the foyer downstairs. I told her that I didn't have any cash and then she started asking me for food. I pretended I couldn't understand what she was saying before saying goodbye and shutting the door. The thing is, I sort of feel bad about turning her away. I have no problem giving homeless, hungry people money/food, etc. but I really don't think they should be knocking on my door. Is this normal here? Anyway, my 10 year old decided that she couldn't be that poor as she had a bag with sequins on it!
I wouldn't have been to happy to be honest, saying that, some bloke in a dish dash and a nice clean car pulled up next to me, told me he was from saudi and had no money and could I give him some for petrol, seemed really odd,

I gave him 10 dirhams and wandered off, odd eh?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Wow...In a matter of minutes she was able to turn your 3 year old into a 10 year old...
This is not normal anywhere...
I mean, I've seen some Africans multiply money, but this??? Amazingly amazing!!!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I wouldn't have been to happy to be honest, saying that, some bloke in a dish dash and a nice clean car pulled up next to me, told me he was from saudi and had no money and could I give him some for petrol, seemed really odd,

I would never believe them if they tell me they're from Saudi, hence they tell me that they're from Oman...But I still tell them I have seen them another place yesterday and gave them money...They do a Houdini...
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:29 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

no...it's not normal
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

cherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to allcherrypie1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Confucius
Wow...In a matter of minutes she was able to turn your 3 year old into a 10 year old...
This is not normal anywhere...
I mean, I've seen some Africans multiply money, but this??? Amazingly amazing!!!
If she comes back I'm gonna get her to turn water into wine.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If she comes back I'm gonna get her to turn water into wine.
I wouldn't believe that even if I saw it with my own eyes...
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

yes it does happen, more so around public holidays and ramadan, they did crack down on it a little while back, but its pretty norm here (at certain times moreso)
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:55 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy

similar incident but he pulled up in white bmw with wife and 3 kids and said he had no petrol and money to get back!
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:56 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
yes it does happen, more so around public holidays and ramadan, they did crack down on it a little while back, but its pretty norm here (at certain times moreso)
oh...I was wrong then...it's pretty norm here
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rowell
similar incident but he pulled up in white bmw with wife and 3 kids and said he had no petrol and money to get back!
The thing is that not only arabs who do this...
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
Oh defo normal, especially as u say during ramadan end eid.

I even had one guy on the street come up to me and remove a dressing/bandage and show me his very ugly cut, and then asked me for money, like I would pay him for making me want to throw up, ewe disgusting
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by annacarna
Oh defo normal, especially as u say during ramadan end eid.

I even had one guy on the street come up to me and remove a dressing/bandage and show me his very ugly cut, and then asked me for money, like I would pay him for making me want to throw up, ewe disgusting
I thought you had more sympathy towards fellow men...
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
I thought you had more sympathy towards fellow men...
I would have given him money, no probs, but the cut was just toooo much for even me 3azizi
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by annacarna
I would have given him money, no probs, but the cut was just toooo much for even me 3azizi
All the more reason to help a fellow man out...
But then again, I'm a softie...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.