Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Non-resident hiring car in Riyadh

Non-resident hiring car in Riyadh

Old Sep 7th 2018, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Non-resident hiring car in Riyadh

I quite regularly go to Riyadh on business (with a 2 year multi-entry visa), and generally in the past have always hired a car to get about (I quite often have 3 or 4 meetings per day in different offices about the city, so having a car is more convenient than taxis). I am a UAE resident. When I mentioned this recently to someone else who is also a regular visitor, he very strongly advised against this - the logic was that if, as a non-resident, I get involved in an accident the police will confiscate my passport till all is resolved, which could take weeks. Anyone know if this passport confiscation is still the case - particularly for residents of other GCC countries (after all, I am led to believe that speeding fines etc do get shared across the GCC)?
Old Sep 7th 2018, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Don63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Non-resident hiring car in Riyadh

Not in my experience. Been doing this 4 years - in this time 1 accident (my fault) but no injuries, not a problem just showed UAE Drivers license to NAJM Officer (not police) + visa. Also, stopped few times on road blocks - again referral to drivers license. Have also had a few speeding fines where the car hire company is advised who pay the fine and claim it off the offender (driver).