Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A non-driver in Abu Dhabi, El Ain or Al Gharbiya. Is it possible?

A non-driver in Abu Dhabi, El Ain or Al Gharbiya. Is it possible?

Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:24 pm
Agadir

agadir is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A non-driver in Abu Dhabi, El Ain or Al Gharbiya. Is it possible?

Hello Everyone,

I'm a Brit. who is moving to AD to teach at a public school in August.

I don't drive and I've been told that some of the teaching locations are quite remote, and there is little chance of getting a taxi. So, my questions are these:

Is there a public transport system in AD that visits the surrounding towns/villages?
Can I make an agreement with a cab driver to drop and pick up on a daily/weekly basis?
Are there school buses to and in the surrounding neighbourhoods of AD?
What are my chances of moving freely and independently in place such as Abu Dhabi city, El Ain and Al Gharbiya?
Is it possible to exist without a car in AD?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:14 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A non-driver in Abu Dhabi, El Ain or Al Gharbiya. Is it possible?

Is there a public transport system in AD that visits the surrounding towns/villages? You'll need to be more specific. Villages? This isn't Berkshire.
Can I make an agreement with a cab driver to drop and pick up on a daily/weekly basis? My office is just off-island, and we have a contract with Al Ghazal for a minibus to bring our Filipina support staff in every day. Costs about AED3k per month. Al Ghazal probably isnt' the cheapest, but we want security and certainty. You'll be able to find a "local" taxi who'll do it everyday (insh'allah) fairly cheaply; you'll need to ask around.
What are my chances of moving freely and independently in place such as Abu Dhabi city, El Ain and Al Gharbiya? AD & El Ain no probs, don't know about Al G. Mind you, depends what you mean by "freely"-the traffic during the busy times in AD is pig awful.
Is it possible to exist without a car in AD? Yep. Lots of taxis (20 mins will cost about AED15). Decent and cheap bus service (AED1), just depends if you're on the route. There's a website with routes; can't remember what it is, do a googlewhack.

Hope that helps.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Abu Dhabi bus routes here:-

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....EDIA/679771484

Where will you be living and working? Taxis are cheap but it can be difficult to get one at peak times.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

So where exactly is El Ain then?
Old Jun 25th 2010, 1:02 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
So where exactly is El Ain then?
I seriously think you need to visit the Al Ain Palace Hotel, Lionheart.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soukie
Abu Dhabi bus routes here:-

http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs....EDIA/679771484

Where will you be living and working? Taxis are cheap but it can be difficult to get one at peak times.
i tried to get that link the page kept freezing on me, but i wish they would update the new routes, they say they are but they not there are many more to yas island, al wathba and through kcb etc just added in the last month
Old Jun 25th 2010, 2:49 pm
Agadir

Post Re: A non-driver in Abu Dhabi, El Ain or Al Gharbiya. Is it possible?

Hey, guess what? I don't know. I don't when I'm going, where I'm going or where I'll be living. Talk about a leap of faith! All I know is that I have signed a contract to teach in AD for a lucrative offer. These details may be revealed to me on arrival. Fortunately, I've always been quite reckless, but managed to swim rather than sink. Let's hope my luck holds out this time!
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agadir
Hey, guess what? I don't know. I don't when I'm going, where I'm going or where I'll be living. Talk about a leap of faith! All I know is that I have signed a contract to teach in AD for a lucrative offer. These details may be revealed to me on arrival. Fortunately, I've always been quite reckless, but managed to swim rather than sink. Let's hope my luck holds out this time!
ad emirate is a big place, most of it sand. al ain you will be fine not that big, ad on island there are buses and taxis, but if you are on the mainland you could be in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

It must be lucrative.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:21 pm
Agadir

Originally Posted by soukie
It must be lucrative.
It is but I bet there are even better contracts around!!! I'll be looking...
Old Jun 25th 2010, 3:33 pm
Agadir

Originally Posted by busybee2
ad emirate is a big place, most of it sand. al ain you will be fine not that big, ad on island there are buses and taxis, but if you are on the mainland you could be in the middle of nowhere.
Yup...I've probably scored a tent in the middle of the desert with the Nomads.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 4:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i wouldnt joke, because that may happen.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 6:22 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Yes cos as far as I know Al Gharbia is an area down in the western region where camel farming is the major industry.Half a day's drive from the metropolis for sure.The stars at night are big and bright though.
Old Jun 28th 2010, 7:48 am
Agadir

Originally Posted by busybee2
i wouldnt joke, because that may happen.
Yes...many a true word said in jest...
Old Jun 28th 2010, 10:12 am
Agadir

Originally Posted by Eva
Yes cos as far as I know Al Gharbia is an area down in the western region where camel farming is the major industry.Half a day's drive from the metropolis for sure.The stars at night are big and bright though.
According to the Internet, and the AD publicity blurbs, Al Gharbiya is being touted as the next big thing. It's being developed as a tourist region complete with multi million pound hotels, car racing, festivals etc. However, I'm sure that doesn't apply to most of the region, and camel farming will probably stay the biggie. At least it will get me away from the shopping malls!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.