British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Nomanb1's question - job offer - genuine or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/nomanb1s-question-job-offer-genuine-not-915126/)

nomanb1 Jul 20th 2018 2:26 pm

Nomanb1's question - job offer - genuine or not?

Hi, I currently live and work in USA as a physician assistant. I recieved an email about an job opportunity in Qatar and sent in my CV. I got an email directly from the Doctor with an offer of 22,500 monthly with housing and transportation covered. My question is. i havent spoken to them over the phone as they want everything via email. is it safe to go their? they will pay for my ticket for the interview.

christmasoompa Jul 20th 2018 2:33 pm

re: Nomanb1's question - job offer - genuine or not?

Hi, welcome to BE.

I've moved your post in to a thread of it's own, as it will just get missed somewhere else.

Have you researched the doctor/company and tried phoning him directly?

Those in the ME will know if this is the normal way to recruit, but to me it just sounds like a scam personally if if you've not actually applied for a job, or even had a phone interview, etc. But I'm sure you'll get some good advice from those in the know.

Good luck.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 21st 2018 7:41 am

Re: Nomanb1's question - job offer - genuine or not?

If they are asking you to make a deposit for the visa / buy the ticket blah blah and you will be compensated once you arrive here then its a travel agency scam and steer clear
On another note, why the need to move anyway? There is no job security here and after the states, Doha will seem like...well...Doha! :D

nomanb1 Jul 21st 2018 1:41 pm

They are not asking for money. They are booking my ticket and hotel. Im just responsible for the qatar visa. Do you think its safe to go their n meet with the doctor?

reddiva Jul 21st 2018 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by nomanb1 (Post 12536464)
They are not asking for money. They are booking my ticket and hotel. Im just responsible for the qatar visa. Do you think its safe to go their n meet with the doctor?

No decent company would ask you to pay for your own visa. If they are booking your flight ticket and hotel surely they can also stump up the small cost for the visa. You say you havent spoken with them? How did they communicate, via email? was it done directly via the company or a recruitment agency? does the person exist? is the email address the company one or a gmail or hotmail etc. I certainly would not attend an interview without speaking with them first

DXBtoDOH Jul 22nd 2018 5:54 am

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12536536)
No decent company would ask you to pay for your own visa. If they are booking your flight ticket and hotel surely they can also stump up the small cost for the visa. You say you havent spoken with them? How did they communicate, via email? was it done directly via the company or a recruitment agency? does the person exist? is the email address the company one or a gmail or hotmail etc. I certainly would not attend an interview without speaking with them first

They may have meant for him to pay for the visa on arrival and then reimburse him later. As it stands, Americans get visa free arrival into the country. Used to be 100 QAR but when the embargo began they waved that for 30 or so nationalities.

OP, I'd try to have a direct conversation within someone via phone or skype before flying over. It's normal for people to be flown over for interviews but that happens after initial phone interviews. I do actually think there's a chance this is legit but read the correspondence carefully, check out the email addresses, and ask why they're willing to fly you over before having an initial interview over the phone.

There's also an American expat facebook group for Qatar. My flatmate is active on it and there's a fair few American medical folk on it working at Hamad hospital. Try joining it and ask your questions there and people will chime in with their recruitment experience.