British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   No sackings for Emiratis? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/no-sackings-emiratis-591525/)

Meow Feb 15th 2009 5:00 am

No sackings for Emiratis?

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Employment/10285904.html

Dubai: A proposal to ban companies in the private sector from sacking Emiratis other than for labour law violations is under consideration.

Protectionism in extremis?

-

busybee2 Feb 15th 2009 5:03 am

Re: No sackings for Emiratis?

yeh saw this in the paper yesterday...... :D

admon Feb 15th 2009 5:04 am

still subect to labour law provisions, so you simply drop their salary to the min 3-5000 per month, or give them the correct discipline procedure before dumping them.

Spugsy Feb 15th 2009 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7286230)
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Employment/10285904.html

Dubai: A proposal to ban companies in the private sector from sacking Emiratis other than for labour law violations is under consideration.

Protectionism in extremis?

-

I can understand the government wants to look after them, but thats just stupid, why, unless you really have to, would you employ them if this rules comes into effect?

Simao Feb 15th 2009 7:24 am

There is a law that says every private sector has to hire about 50% of its employees as nationals. But if the employee really sucks there should be rules and laws to protect the company as well. I don't see what's the problem of protectionism as everyone seems to be doing it at these times aside from the U.K lol.

Spugsy Feb 15th 2009 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Simao (Post 7286432)
There is a law that says every private sector has to hire about 50% of its employees as nationals. But if the employee really sucks there should be rules and laws to protect the company as well. I don't see what's the problem of protectionism as everyone seems to be doing it at these times aside from the U.K lol.

isn't it 5 or 8%??

Not 50%.

niddy Feb 15th 2009 9:58 am

Definitely not %50! It varies but usually around %5. And it doesn't apply to every sector. The number of employee's in the company is another factor.

weescot Feb 15th 2009 10:54 am

The gap between workplace national and international standards won't be crossed until the national education system is more in line with international standards. In the meantime, "skills transfer" and cultural differences/exepctations in the private sector will continue to be problematic for some.

Any law under consideration can only try to keep the Emiratisation programme on track whilst trying to find solutions to existing issues; the measure of the sucecss surely depends on the will of the individuals and companies involved. Its a long term issue.

lionheart Feb 15th 2009 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Simao (Post 7286432)
There is a law that says every private sector has to hire about 50% of its employees as nationals.

Please don't get a job as a lawyer. As for the dramatic Gulf News headline, they are just trying to sell newspapers. Emiratis will still get sacked if they are lazy, absent or generally a pain in the ass. My understanding is that the proposed rule simply aims to stop them getting laid-off on purely economic grounds.

Hello.Kitty Feb 15th 2009 12:05 pm

well, from what the article says, it seems to be implementing the kind of redundancy rights [for emiratis] that are available in the UK - as in, a company isn't allowed to make you redundant until they have been seen to at least try to offer you alternatives, such as offering a part-time admin job 200 miles away, in lieu of your full-time consultancy position (for example!)... which of course, you would refuse...

AnotherWorld Feb 15th 2009 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286646)
isn't it 5 or 8%??

Not 50%.

The only Emirati getting money from us is the business sponsor. We employ around 80 people in the UAE.

busybee2 Feb 15th 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7286646)
isn't it 5 or 8%??

Not 50%.

i think there is 3 different levels... the more you employ the less red tape you have to endure.

NorthernLad Feb 15th 2009 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7287461)
i think there is 3 different levels... the more you employ the less red tape you have to endure.

But in a free zone I don't think it applies. We have no Emiratis with us.

Jammy_Dodgers Feb 15th 2009 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7287884)
But in a free zone I don't think it applies. We have no Emiratis with us.

Your right NL, that law does not apply in the free zones.

Simao Feb 16th 2009 3:28 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7287011)
Please don't get a job as a lawyer. As for the dramatic Gulf News headline, they are just trying to sell newspapers. Emiratis will still get sacked if they are lazy, absent or generally a pain in the ass. My understanding is that the proposed rule simply aims to stop them getting laid-off on purely economic grounds.

Dont' get me wrong yes they still get fired for the things you said but if they were doing their job and the company just wanted to cut costs then there is a problem in firing them. And am not a lawyer and I don't want to be, it's a boring job.