British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   No response from Recuitment Agencies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/no-response-recuitment-agencies-550713/)

aaziz040 Jul 23rd 2008 10:48 am

No response from Recuitment Agencies

Hi there, I'm travelling to Dubai in August from the UK to attend to a couple of job interviews....I've been registering and sending my CV like crazy to recruitment agencies but of no avail. I'm now getting really desperate and really need to secure a decent job or atleast some interviews before my visit.

I've done my Masters in Advertising & Marketing from Coventry University, UK and have a few years Sales experience. Am currently working for Lloyd' Register as a Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator.

I know its a big thing to ask but would really appreciate your help ...I can forward you my CV etc...

Your response would be highly appreciated
Kindest Regards
Adnan

Spugsy Jul 23rd 2008 1:34 pm

Re: No response from Recuitment Agencies

Originally Posted by aaziz040 (Post 6601301)
Hi there, I'm travelling to Dubai in August from the UK to attend to a couple of job interviews....I've been registering and sending my CV like crazy to recruitment agencies but of no avail. I'm now getting really desperate and really need to secure a decent job or atleast some interviews before my visit.

I've done my Masters in Advertising & Marketing from Coventry University, UK and have a few years Sales experience. Am currently working for Lloyd' Register as a Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator.

I know its a big thing to ask but would really appreciate your help ...I can forward you my CV etc...

Your response would be highly appreciated
Kindest Regards
Adnan

ok fella, this is what I did and it worked a treat,

find out the type of companies you are interested in, for me it was ad agencies, then do a google search, get all the emails and send an email with covering letter and cv to each one PERSONALLY, not a blanket email as they'll discard straight away, take your time with the cover letter, no mistakes in it - and this is the plug, mention that 'I am in Dubai for the week commencing Aug 20th to blah blah' and I will be available for interviews'.

This is what i did and out of 20 companies I got 3 interviews, and from that 2 job offers.

You need to do this yourself, recruitment companies over here are worse than shit.

Good luck fella.

rizzy73 Jul 23rd 2008 2:13 pm

what is the IT market like in Dubai if i am looking for work, i currently live in the UK and have good experience.

Would you suggest contacting companies direct or going through recruitment agencies?

Thanks

Spugsy Jul 23rd 2008 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by rizzy73 (Post 6601965)
what is the IT market like in Dubai if i am looking for work, i currently live in the UK and have good experience.

Would you suggest contacting companies direct or going through recruitment agencies?

Thanks

I'd forget recruitment companies altogether, and IT managers would be good, but there are some many indians here who do IT I reckon you'd be lucky to get anything as they all work for not much mate.

Really you need managerial or something quite high up-ish really.

rizzy73 Jul 23rd 2008 3:30 pm

Hi Spugsy

Thanks for your reply.

I do have some managerial expereince but is the recruitment process quite tough in Dubai?

I am a Technical Architect as well as a Software Engineer :)

I like the advice you gave that other chap that was helpfull to.

I have also developed a web site with a freind, and it is doing really well. Would that give me a chance to proceed.

Would i have to be in Dubai to secure an Interview or could there be chances of a telephone interview from the UK.

Sorry if i am asking alot of question.

Raz

MrsHaps Jul 23rd 2008 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by rizzy73 (Post 6602238)
Hi Spugsy

Thanks for your reply.

I do have some managerial expereince but is the recruitment process quite tough in Dubai?

I have also developed a web site with a freind, and it is doing really well. Would that give me a chance to proceed.

Would i have to be in Dubai to secure an Interview or could there be chances of a telephone interview from the UK.

Raz

Get on the phone and get talking to people in the agencies, get a name! I did exactly the same as you for two months and in the end i rang to say when i was coming over could they help and i arranged interviews with them that way.

My hubby did have a telephone interview first then they brought us over for a formal interview. I had a neb around!

Spugsy Jul 23rd 2008 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by rizzy73 (Post 6602238)
Hi Spugsy

Thanks for your reply.

Raz

you don't get many telephone interviews mate, realistically mail a load of people, tell them who you are and what you do and try and fix some up then come over for a week, obviously use it as a holiday as well - thats what I did and I've been here 6 months now, loving it.

Spugsy Jul 23rd 2008 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6602664)
Get on the phone and get talking to people in the agencies, get a name! I did exactly the same as you for two months and in the end i rang to say when i was coming over could they help and i arranged interviews with them that way.

My hubby did have a telephone interview first then they brought us over for a formal interview. I had a neb around!

heh, you nebby cow!

Worldismine Jul 23rd 2008 6:43 pm

What about innovation? As in requesting web interviews or even asking for old briefs so you can show your planning or creative skills. IF i was a boss in an agency id rather see homework than listen to someone whisper me sweet nothings, but lucky for the world im not an agency boss,,,,,,YET.

diver2812 Jul 23rd 2008 7:34 pm

I have used 2 UK based recruitment agencies and have found them both good. I have over 20 years in property, dealing with residential sales, lettings and customer service/compliance. I have 6 interviews in Dubai in a weeks time and expect to get job offers from at least half. as both the recruiters have sought out companies where I will be a good 'fit' and vice versa.

You need to have a sniper approach to the job market not a shotgun approach. Do your research in the net and sell yourself to the recruiter and if she/he are worth their salt they will sell you to the company and don't be afraid of be demanding.

rizzy73 Jul 24th 2008 7:26 am

Guys thanks for all the advice it is very much appreciated. I will contact recruitment agencies and employers.

Just a question do you need to attach a photo with your CV?

Spugsy Jul 24th 2008 7:59 am

Originally Posted by rizzy73 (Post 6604608)
Guys thanks for all the advice it is very much appreciated. I will contact recruitment agencies and employers.

hmm, some people do, in fact it's almost common practice, but I never did.

When I contacted agencies before they put me forward they wanted to know my nationailty, age and marital status mind you.

TGFKASE Jul 24th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by rizzy73 (Post 6604608)

Aaargghh!!! I hate getting photos attached to CV's..... Almost always end up immediately in the 'look at later' pile!!!

rizzy73 Jul 24th 2008 8:37 am

would it limit your chances to work in dubai being married? or do they prefer you being single?

diver2812 Jul 24th 2008 8:51 am

Originally Posted by rizzy73 (Post 6604816)
would it limit your chances to work in dubai being married? or do they prefer you being single?

Only ever attach a pic when asked is my tip.

Some employers view having the family with you as a positive thing, others like the single option as you are then more job focused.