Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

No red roses in Riyadh

No red roses in Riyadh

Old Feb 13th 2010, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default No red roses in Riyadh

No red roses in Riyadh: Saudi police bans Valentine's celebrations

Saudi religious police launched a campaign Thursday to prevent hotels and stores from making any special preparations ahead of Valentine's Day, celebrated worldwide on February 14. Flower shops are forbidden to sell red roses. Toy stores have hidden red teddy bears and sweet shops put away the heart-shaped boxes they sell throughout the year for fear that the religious police might seize them.

"Anyone who does not respond to our demands will be subjected to punishment," announced the police spokesman, known as the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.

Each year, a few days before Valentine's Day, the commission warns shops, hotels and restaurants against celebrating it in any way. They also increase their presence in public parks and places where young people meet, to catch anyone who breaks the rules

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...#ixzz0fOd0iyFp

Last edited by coffindodger; Feb 13th 2010 at 5:48 am. Reason: Spelling.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:35 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No red roses in Riyadh

You old romantic you
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
You old romantic you
Yes i know!! so her in doors keeps on telling me.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:11 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

At least someone is putting a stop to this charade.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffindodger
No red roses in Riyadh: Saudi police bans Valentine's celebrations

Saudi religious police launched a campaign Thursday to prevent hotels and stores from making any special preparations ahead of Valentine's Day, celebrated worldwide on February 14. Flower shops are forbidden to sell red roses. Toy stores have hidden red teddy bears and sweet shops put away the heart-shaped boxes they sell throughout the year for fear that the religious police might seize them.

"Anyone who does not respond to our demands will be subjected to punishment," announced the police spokesman, known as the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.

Each year, a few days before Valentine's Day, the commission warns shops, hotels and restaurants against celebrating it in any way. They also increase their presence in public parks and places where young people meet, to catch anyone who breaks the rules

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/s...#ixzz0fOd0iyFp
I wonder what happened to Wobbly (William Bly, to give him his full handle)? He used to do a roaring trade 'importing' that kind of stuff from Bahrain for Valentines Day, then selling it on to expats in Riyadh.

He used to 'leak' a story that he would be driving across the causeway on 13th Feb, which obviously got through to the Islamofascists, who started searching all the cars.......

.......... by which time he had sneaked through on the 11th or 12th........

Last edited by The Dean; Feb 15th 2010 at 12:26 pm. Reason: r
Old Feb 15th 2010, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

But I thought Valentines Day has always been deemed "unIslamic" and effectively banned in the Magic Kingdom?
Old Feb 15th 2010, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
But I thought Valentines Day has always been deemed "unIslamic" and effectively banned in the Magic Kingdom?
Yes - that's the whole point of the original post - and precisely why Wobbly had to smugg... er, I mean import the Valentines day stuff.

It's the "Saint" Valentine they object to..............
Old Feb 16th 2010, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lionheart
Most things are banned here in the costa del sand pit ha ha
Old Feb 17th 2010, 10:58 am
KSA
Just Joined

KSA is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are talking without brain ^___^

We have religion and we don't believe in what is called Valentine day !!?

and before you talk in our religion and habits, try to see yours !!!!

if I talk about them I will not finish till next year ^__^

and most of them bad habits !!

sorry for the this, but sometimes the truth is hard !!!

this rose for you all ^___^

Old Feb 17th 2010, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

First of all welcome to KSA to this forum.

Having watched the television news on the evening of the 14th Feb.
I saw on Dubai One news, a news story about the Emirates and in certain shops selling openly Chocolates, Flowers etc.

We can easy buy these items here in the Kingdom for most days of the year.
But in the few days leading up the 14th Feb every year, every thing is with
drawn from the shops.

So yes i suppose you could buy it a few days early, or even wait till the 16th Feb and buy your items then.

i can see your point of view and please i am not having a go here at you, on here.

Last edited by coffindodger; Feb 17th 2010 at 11:16 am.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KSA

http://www.alrage.net/vb/images/smilies/new/rose.gif
You "don't believe" in Valentine Day? So you ban it........

That's precisely the point that many of us have made many times on this forum, but not to worry.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 5:23 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KSA

Hi,

I'm not religious at all, I dont believe in god or any of that shite, so try and argue with me then.

Crazy KSA mentalists, sounds like the worst place one earth to me, a country set hundreds of years in the past run by madmen.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 2:48 am
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Hi,

I'm not religious at all, I dont believe in god or any of that shite, so try and argue with me then.

Crazy KSA mentalists, sounds like the worst place one earth to me, a country set hundreds of years in the past run by madmen.
Love it!

The truth isn't hard for us. If your beliefs are so weak that exposure to mine corrupts them, take a look in the mirror rather than reflexive banning of foreign things.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:23 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aikman7981
Love it!

The truth isn't hard for us. If your beliefs are so weak that exposure to mine corrupts them, take a look in the mirror rather than reflexive banning of foreign things.
I am assuming that you have quoted the wrong post..

If exposure to Christianity, Valentines Day, women not covered head-to-toe etc etc is banned within KSA, then surely Muslims beliefs within KSA must be so weak that your rulers fear you crossing to the dark side.....lol
Old Feb 18th 2010, 7:24 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KSA

Oh hurrah. More blinkered, narrow-minded, ill-informed religious nonsense.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.