Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

No more visa on arrival for Schengen countries and the US

No more visa on arrival for Schengen countries and the US

Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Crash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to beholdCrash is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: No more visa on arrival for Schengen countries and the US

Top hotels fear impact of Qatar visa changes....
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58590...r-visa-changes

Friends in the hospitality business have told me that they have started to see some cancellations in May and June - nothing major - yet.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Keoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really niceKeoic is just really nice

The hotels being worried doesn't make sense. There will obviously be tourist visas - most probable is the continuation of the "Hotel" visa - where the hotel is granted your visa when you make a booking.

So if you are single - you'll need to book visitors into a hotel.
I'd think it was a positive move for the hotels - if they decide to go that way.

By the way - you need a visa to visit most countries - what's the big beef with Qatar joining the other countries in checking out visitors prior to arrival?

Why should a Qatari need a visa to visit the US & not the other way around?
There's been more USA Citizens as 'terrorists' than Qatari's I think.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keoic
The hotels being worried doesn't make sense. There will obviously be tourist visas - most probable is the continuation of the "Hotel" visa - where the hotel is granted your visa when you make a booking.

I'd think it was a positive move for the hotels - if they decide to go that way.

By the way - you need a visa to visit most countries - what's the big beef with Qatar joining the other countries in checking out visitors prior to arrival?

This is not primarily about the US. I think there are many more Brits than US citizens here. And this is about 33 countries, the US and UK included.
And I agree, there is nothing wrong with granting Qataris VOA. They go abroad to spend money, they should be welcomed with open arms.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:49 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

They are free to do this, just as tourists are free to go somewhere more welcoming.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

See, the thing is, Qatar really does not have much, if anything, to offer to a visitor from the countries they are restricting now. People come here to work and make money, most don't particularly like it here. With these restrictions things are made even less appealing for them, as it will be more difficult, and in some cases impossible to get friends and relatives to visit. That's basically what it is.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Man Above The Law is on a distinguished road

The reason behind that is assassination of a top Hamas commander in Dubai.
I knew something will change when I heard Dubai Police Chief Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim's speech.

My Emarati friend of mine told me after the operation that MOSSAD with help of British were behind the assassination according to DAILY MAIL and CNN.

Did Britain know about Mossad hit? Israeli agent claims MI6 was tipped off
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...ossad-hit.html

I won't blame GCC if they refuse to give visa to anyone from Europe, North America, NZ and Australia (I can't understand how can anyone carry two passports but be loyal to one country -----> You can either be British or Isrealean but not both)

What exacatly would the concequences if an arab hit squad had killed and tortured an Isreal in the same manner??? I am pretty sure the european states would be up in arms about it! But instead we resort to idle threats and silence… is there nothing the Isreal’s can not get away with?!?

And Finally What can we expect from a coutry with Polish PM (David Miliband Born in London, David Miliband is the elder son of Jewish immigrants Marion Kozak, from Poland, and the late Marxist intellectual Ralph Miliband, who fled Belgium during World War II).
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Man Above The Law
And Finally What can we expect from a coutry with Polish PM (David Miliband Born in London, David Miliband is the elder son of Jewish immigrants Marion Kozak, from Poland, and the late Marxist intellectual Ralph Miliband, who fled Belgium during World War II).
wow, how the hell did i miss david miliband becoming our pm...?

MM, xx
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:49 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I knew something will change when I heard Dubai Police Chief Lieutenant General Dahi Khalfan Tamim's speech.

My Emarati friend of mine told me after the operation that MOSSAD with help of British were behind the assassination according to DAILY MAIL and CNN.

I won't blame GCC if they refuse to give visa to anyone from Europe, North America, NZ and Australia (I can't understand how can anyone carry two passports but be loyal to one country -----> You can either be British or Isrealean but not both)

What exacatly would the concequences if an arab hit squad had killed and tortured an Isreal in the same manner??? I am pretty sure the european states would be up in arms about it! But instead we resort to idle threats and silence… is there nothing the Isreal’s can not get away with?!?

You really are on another planet.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

-> You can either be British or Isrealean but not both) Quote

How about Canadian /Lebanese
American /Iranian
British/Pakistani
and so on and so forth.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa

Changes for Visa on Arrival

Qatar has revised the visa-on-arrival scheme, making it mandatory for citizens of a number of countries to obtain a visa before travelling to Doha, foreign diplomats told Gulf Times yesterday.
The new visa regime is expected to come into force on May 1.
A visa is available on arrival to citizens of 33 “affluent” countries but it could not be verified whether the change would affect all the countries on this list.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs informed the embassy that American citizens would need to obtain visas before arriving in Qatar starting on May 1,” consul at the US embassy, Alex Ave-Lallemant, told Gulf Times.

http://www.gulf-time...

Not good, not good at all.....
On the other hand, it is the 1st of April...
Surprise surprise at the ever so typical Gulf retraction

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topic...7&parent_id=56

Will these people ever learn the basics of engage brain before gob.....!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Surprise surprise at the ever so typical Gulf retraction

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topic...7&parent_id=56

Will these people ever learn the basics of engage brain before gob.....!
Why, why, why they are like that?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:55 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

I took the opportunity of visiting Doha (not quite sure why as not much to do...) this past weekend. Drove down from Manama through Saudi.

I have an iqama so expected no worries on the border crossing, but my god they are slow. It took 2 hours to cross the border and they wanted to see all paperwork in every booth (of which there were many - actually not sure what the purpose of all the booths was). The worst part was that nobody on the Qatari side spoke English!! Fortunately I had an arabic speaker with me.

It took over 25 minutes to get our passports stamped (no idea what the woman was doing)..although I got a hint when on the way back the woman (all booths were manned by fully veiled women by the way) asked in arabic if Norway was a state in the US. I was tempted to just say yes for simplicity, but my friend explained it was a country in Europe....

I'm planning to go back in late summer for a bit of diving (won't be going to Doha if I can help it though). Qatar has some excellent divesites that you cannot find the equivalent of in other gulf countries (except Oman and in Jeddah). I guess I'll just have to apply for a visa online up front....[or not as I see they have now postponed the new regulations..why am i not surprised?]

Last edited by norsk; Apr 19th 2010 at 10:01 am.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:04 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

ROFLMAO! You are seriously deluded habibi!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Heard a rumour today that they are not going to do it. All will be as it was. Will follow up and let you know.

Checked it...it is not going to happen. They will have to "revise it". All back to normal.

Last edited by Alexa; Apr 19th 2010 at 10:50 am.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like it is delayed!

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/58629...sas-on-arrival

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.