Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

NO ID Cards for Expats

NO ID Cards for Expats

Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:38 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute
Default NO ID Cards for Expats

http://www.kippreport.com/kipp/2008/...ays-fnc/print/

Wonder if its down to the number of expats leaving, but after all the early hype common sense may yet prevail
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NO ID Cards for Expats

my work looked into this yesterday and were told that they will not be processing any new applicants..

Im sure months ago i told everyone just to ignore it; as per the norm here, it will be a croc of shit..

and muppets stood in que's from 4am etc.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

hahaha hey commander what we did say......
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

manwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nicemanwithnoname is just really nice

oh well already done. the process was really easy for us, paid for by work and done on work time. it will make a nice souvenir and the photo is hideous
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

its ok if its just you, but if you have kids, the kids needed to come with you, so can you imagine, q'ing for a ticket, with kids who are meant to be in school, and then the process, if you are lucky enough to get processed can take all day, with kids.......... the id card is a good idea, as it would help with all the red tape when registering cars, hospital etc, but they need to do them when you renew your visas, and then over the next 3 years everyone will have one would have been so much easier.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/54256...card-deadline-

Your article is from 18 December and only stated that they'd advised against ID cards for expats. Have linked to article from 4 Jan which says

"“There is a transitional period for Emiratis and white-collar expatriates. After the transition period, we will move on to the next category and there will be no preferential treatment for white-collar workers. They will have to wait in line with everybody else,” he told the newspaper.

After the Dec. 31, 2010 deadline, expatriates will also be fined and become ineligible for government services."

So I guess if you're leaving before 2010 then you don't need one, otherwise you still do. Lucky for me my co has their own centre (the joys of working for govt!) so got mine done in 15 mins, easy peasy!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busybee2
its ok if its just you, but if you have kids, the kids needed to come with you, so can you imagine, q'ing for a ticket, with kids who are meant to be in school, and then the process, if you are lucky enough to get processed can take all day, with kids.......... the id card is a good idea, as it would help with all the red tape when registering cars, hospital etc, but they need to do them when you renew your visas, and then over the next 3 years everyone will have one would have been so much easier.
Yep, hope it's true, it's the thought of taking three kids that's been putting me off.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Just tried to post a link to this but it doesn't seem to have worked... more recent article from Arabian Business - sorry guys.

“There is a transitional period for Emiratis and white-collar expatriates. After the transition period, we will move on to the next category and there will be no preferential treatment for white-collar workers. They will have to wait in line with everybody else,” he told the newspaper.

After the Dec. 31, 2010 deadline, expatriates will also be fined and become ineligible for government services."
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:14 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
Just tried to post a link to this but it doesn't seem to have worked... more recent article from Arabian Business - sorry guys.

“There is a transitional period for Emiratis and white-collar expatriates. After the transition period, we will move on to the next category and there will be no preferential treatment for white-collar workers. They will have to wait in line with everybody else,” he told the newspaper.

I wont be rushing around getting one. It aint gonna happen. The UAE is going to be going through its most turbulent time ever in the next 18 months industry wise. I fully expect this to slide away into oblivion
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:28 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
I wont be rushing around getting one. It aint gonna happen. The UAE is going to be going through its most turbulent time ever in the next 18 months industry wise. I fully expect this to slide away into oblivion
I always expected it to slide into oblivion
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Luckily my co's one of the ones that got its own centre so I was all done in 10 mins. Even the people with kids only took 15-20mins. If I didn't have one the easy way I wouldn't be rushing either!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 6:32 am
banned

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
Luckily my co's one of the ones that got its own centre so I was all done in 10 mins. Even the people with kids only took 15-20mins. If I didn't have one the easy way I wouldn't be rushing either!
yea fair play..no harm in having one!!
Old Jan 20th 2009, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really niceRobbies is just really nice

So what will the ID card be used for? Is it only people with residency that require them?

If for example, I have a bank account here and I receive rental income from a Dubai property into it. If I left Dubai and went elsewhere in the coming months, and sold my property in say 2011, would I need an ID card to complete the transaction with the bank? At that time I would obviously not have a residency visa.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

A US colleague had his application processed yesterday at an Abu Dhabi centre. Only 5 of the 8 desks were manned apparently. My application was processed two weeks ago at the same centre - arrived at 7.30 and was seen within 20mins, despite having no appointment. Card delivered last Sunday to my work. Guess I was lucky. Given lack of officially confirmed information and uncertaintly around deadline extensions, I'd rather have this than not.
Old Jan 20th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

still a full page ad in todays national explaining the official ID card deadlines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.