Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

No criminal case for bounced security cheques in UAE

No criminal case for bounced security cheques in UAE

Old Jan 1st 2013, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

daexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No criminal case for bounced security cheques in UAE

Here is some good news to all UAE debtors. There will be no more criminal cases for the security cheques presented. The constant threats from the banks and their representatives should end eventually.

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/go...ters-1.1126543

http://www.emirates247.com/crime/loc...12-31-1.489339

Once there is full clarity on the old cases, I am guessing all the runners are going to come back to UAE and try and settle with the financial institutions using some very long-term payment plans. I personally think is a great move by the rulers to implement this law.

Finally, the cops can do some real cop work, banks will start to get back their money slowly.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 9:00 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No criminal case for bounced security cheques in UAE

Right now the situation requires some clarity and whilst this is a good start, defaulters can still end up in jail. Other bounced cheques can still result in jail terms and banks can still take legal action against defaulters.

If any absconder attempts to return following this ruling they must be mad. Unless they fancy a holiday at the Government's special facilities...
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:03 am
Just Joined

daexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No criminal case for bounced security cheques in UAE

Like the artical says: This is valid only for the bank security cheques one may have given for either a card or loan. Laws regarding all other forms of bounced cheques (for business payments etc) are still the same and once you bounce it, you will end up in prison.

No runner in their right mind will take the next flight to UAE after seeing the news. Though everything is not set in stone, my mates at the immigration in DXB says that by the end of Jan 2013, everyone will have full clarity on how to proceed. The bottom line is: All and every Security Bounced Cheque cases will be suspended and the banks will inturn file Civil cases for all of the above. I reckon thats a few 100K of new civilcases, I suppose. Then the bank and the absconder will settle on a payment plan and hoefully life should get back to normalcy for a few.