Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

No contract and no pay

No contract and no pay

Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No contract and no pay

Originally Posted by Scamp
"It's like London with sunshine"

I've actually used that before.
Mate , you only have to spin that drivel when you're dealing with amateurs , you know that too well .

It took me 15 mins to agree this current contract , i just needed to know 5 main things and one of them was where was the nearest Spinney's
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

"It's like London with sunshine"

I've actually used that before.
you need to put a more positive spin on it.

"It's like London with sunshine but less immigrants"
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I love your positive cheery posts mate !
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
I love your positive cheery posts mate !
you're right. I need to me more upbeat.

"It's like London with sunshine but less arabs"
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Mate , you only have to spin that drivel when you're dealing with amateurs , you know that too well .

It took me 15 mins to agree this current contract , i just needed to know 5 main things and one of them was where was the nearest Spinney's
That's when you know you've made it.

Originally Posted by Millhouse

I overheard something along these lines once; "Ramadan? Nah, it's nothing mate. It's easy. Listen, last week, middle of Rammers, we were out and I was stood on a table at midnight downing jagerbombs....that's what Ramadan is like".

I couldn't help but love the factual correctness (I was there), but using stories like that to convince people to get on the boat from the UK is just mind blowingly brilliant. I mean awful. Awful.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

That's when you know you've made it.

I overheard something along these lines once; "Ramadan? Nah, it's nothing mate. It's easy. Listen, last week, middle of Rammers, we were out and I was stood on a table at midnight downing jagerbombs....that's what Ramadan is like".

I couldn't help but love the factual correctness (I was there), but using stories like that to convince people to get on the boat from the UK is just mind blowingly brilliant. I mean awful. Awful.
Just think of the commission aye , who cares about empathy
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Just think of the commission aye , who cares about empathy
Those were the days.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Don't do it. You'll get in a world of hurt.

Hmm, what do you mean, exactly?
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Hmm, what do you mean, exactly?
Police case , travel ban but basically being up shit creek . Things go tits up quickly if not careful
Old Feb 29th 2016, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, okay, I get that and it's certainly of concern.

The vehicle in question is rented to the company. The rental company has no knowledge of me directly. Their only recourse would be to the company. Who would then have to approach me.

It might be sticky ground I admit but it's about the only leverage I would seem to have right now I think.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmm, okay, I get that and it's certainly of concern.

The vehicle in question is rented to the company. The rental company has no knowledge of me directly. Their only recourse would be to the company. Who would then have to approach me.

It might be sticky ground I admit but it's about the only leverage I would seem to have right now I think.
Mate to be honest it doesn't hold no leverage , they'll just call the police and it'll get sticky for you if they need to .

I'd go down the route of trying to push through getting a bit of a breakthrough by speaking to all parties concerned. It sounds like you're not covered by the labour law as your contractual position is uncertain .

As i said earlier you've done quite well up to now being in the position you are . Did you have any form of contract with the MOL ?
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Understood. Though I think the last thing the local company would want is plod getting in any way involved. My feeling is they sail too close to the wind to be happy about that on any level and hopefully they would want to settle things before it got that far.

I know I've managed remarkably well to date and I will just cut it loose in the long term if I need to. I'm happy that at least the outfit I'm with now seem very keen to play it straight by the book.

There was no MOL involvement. All the Europeans on the project, about 50 at the peak, were coming in and out every 2 months or so. They were either being paid out of country or direct by cheque here. I was almost the last of the big expensive hires the rest are long gone as the job wound down.

I'll let it rest for now. Keep sending my regular emails to them demanding payment, see where it goes.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Understood. Though I think the last thing the local company would want is plod getting in any way involved. My feeling is they sail too close to the wind to be happy about that on any level and hopefully they would want to settle things before it got that far.

I know I've managed remarkably well to date and I will just cut it loose in the long term if I need to. I'm happy that at least the outfit I'm with now seem very keen to play it straight by the book.

There was no MOL involvement. All the Europeans on the project, about 50 at the peak, were coming in and out every 2 months or so. They were either being paid out of country or direct by cheque here. I was almost the last of the big expensive hires the rest are long gone as the job wound down.

I'll let it rest for now. Keep sending my regular emails to them demanding payment, see where it goes.
Yes , best bet to try and go for the long game to be honest as if they had x amount working like that they know the guys will just eject when their times up as they're basically working without a RP so no official recourse can be found .

All contracts must have a duplicate MOI version as it's this that is valid in recourse , the English version of a contract is your agreement with the company , out of this then the company would apply for your RP .

If you're sorted now and going then see it out , you might just become a pain in the arse and they'll pay you your dues .

Best Of Luck
Old Mar 31st 2016, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just an end note to this little tale, they paid up. So there is at least some honour to be found on occasion. Naturally I returned the rented vehicle in short order as well.

Now for some shopping, hehe!
Old Mar 31st 2016, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just an end note to this little tale, they paid up. So there is at least some honour to be found on occasion. Naturally I returned the rented vehicle in short order as well.

Now for some shopping, hehe!
Glad it worked out mate