British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   No contract and no pay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/no-contract-no-pay-873386/)

martinbkk Feb 27th 2016 6:51 am

No contract and no pay

I probably don’t have a leg to stand on here and more fool me for breaking all the rules and expecting to come away unscathed. That said I would be interested to hear ideas as to how I might, just maybe, recover some of my loss.

Prior to arriving in Qatar I was sent an offer letter by a local company acting on behalf of the Italian company that wanted to employ me for a position and detailing what I would be paid. Over the ensuing two and half years the local company provided regular monthly cheques that the bank happily cashed. Funds for this came from the Italian company that wanted my services. At no time did either the local company or the Italian company make any move to formalize the position. This remained a non-issue for me for the most part.

Recently I have taken up another position and I parted company with the first outfit quite amicably. They knew I would be leaving and with their project drawing to a close and with other lay offs there has been no problem with my leaving.

The only problem is that I received no payment for the last 2 months I worked for them. Indeed none of the staff, approximately 20 people remaining, has received anything for the last 2 months. The claim is that the Italian company is waiting for funds from the client and is in negotiations over what is due them. In any case is there any position I can take now that would help to recover my losses? I currently retain the company provided rented vehicle in the hope that might help.

I fully expect there is nothing I can do, oh well. Live and learn. Just interested to know if I have any options.

Thanks

co durham boy Feb 27th 2016 7:39 am

Re: No contract and no pay

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 11880848)
I probably don’t have a leg to stand on here and more fool me for breaking all the rules and expecting to come away unscathed. That said I would be interested to hear ideas as to how I might, just maybe, recover some of my loss.

Prior to arriving in Qatar I was sent an offer letter by a local company acting on behalf of the Italian company that wanted to employ me for a position and detailing what I would be paid. Over the ensuing two and half years the local company provided regular monthly cheques that the bank happily cashed. Funds for this came from the Italian company that wanted my services. At no time did either the local company or the Italian company make any move to formalize the position. This remained a non-issue for me for the most part.

Recently I have taken up another position and I parted company with the first outfit quite amicably. They knew I would be leaving and with their project drawing to a close and with other lay offs there has been no problem with my leaving.

The only problem is that I received no payment for the last 2 months I worked for them. Indeed none of the staff, approximately 20 people remaining, has received anything for the last 2 months. The claim is that the Italian company is waiting for funds from the client and is in negotiations over what is due them. In any case is there any position I can take now that would help to recover my losses? I currently retain the company provided rented vehicle in the hope that might help.

I fully expect there is nothing I can do, oh well. Live and learn. Just interested to know if I have any options.

Thanks

To be honest i reckon you haven't done too bad considering the lose arrangement you were working under. The local outfit are just cashing in and keeping cash back at the end of the contract .

Not sure what else you can do to be honest , i'd call it a form of Qatari Taxation and cut and run but there's nothing more galling than walking away from money that's been hard earned mate .

Good Luck

Bahtatboy Feb 27th 2016 3:55 pm

A long shot (with a lot of if's implied): Establish through the correspondence trail and cashed cheques that you were (and still are) an employee. Establish that you're employed by the Italian company. Go after the Italian company legally, either via their permanent establishment in Qatar or their organisation in Italy. Alternatively go after the local company on a similar basis.

scot47 Feb 27th 2016 9:10 pm

See-http://www.lyricsfreak.com/k/kenny+r..._20077886.html

martinbkk Feb 28th 2016 4:40 am

Thanks guys, I appreciate the inputs.

I have some emails that seem to implicate that I was very much "employed", even an email exchange that details payment calculations and specifics from when these came under scrutiny by their accountant after an audit.

I'm sure Hertz will want their car back from the company at some point so hopefully that might provoke some action.

At least my new employer acts decently and is keen to get me on their books properly and transparently.

co durham boy Feb 28th 2016 7:59 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 11881457)

I have some emails that seem to implicate that I was very much "employed", even an email exchange that details payment calculations and specifics from when these came under scrutiny by their accountant after an audit.

I'm sure Hertz will want their car back from the company at some point so hopefully that might provoke some action.

At least my new employer acts decently and is keen to get me on their books properly and transparently.

Even with a bonafide contractual agreement in Qatar it's difficult when you get knocked , the bottom line is if these guys here don't want to pay you they won't . They may have to eventually but time / money and influence is on their side and they'll always use that as a leverage on you .

Scumbags of the highest order

Millhouse Feb 28th 2016 8:55 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11881523)
Even with a bonafide contractual agreement in Qatar it's difficult when you get knocked , the bottom line is if these guys here don't want to pay you they won't . They may have to eventually but time / money and influence is on their side and they'll always use that as a leverage on you .

Scumbags of the highest order

I love your cheery, honest and insightful posts.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 28th 2016 9:22 am

Originally Posted by martinbkk (Post 11881457)

If you argue too hard and upset people will it have an effect on future Qatar employment? EG: you prove with the authorities you were employed, get your two month pay off and think you've won....only to find they decide not to dish out the NOC for the next job in Qatar.

Two months of cash money is a hateful amount to just surrender but I'd be tempted to get the new job going double time because then you're earning again and can write those two salaries off.

co durham boy Feb 28th 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11881549)
I love your cheery, honest and insightful posts.

Better to be straighter than a Glaswegian welder lad , no good sugar coating a shit hand of cards .

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 28th 2016 9:57 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11881578)
Better to be straighter than a Glaswegian welder lad , no good sugar coating a shit hand of cards .

Unless you're selling them...

co durham boy Feb 28th 2016 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11881584)
Unless you're selling them...

Correctamundo Bonny Lad

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 28th 2016 9:59 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11881587)
Correctamundo Bonny Lad

I've sold a lot of shit hands out here. That's for sure.

OriginalSunshine Feb 28th 2016 10:00 am

I'm sure Hertz will want their car back from the company at some point so hopefully that might provoke some action. .
Don't do it. You'll get in a world of hurt.

co durham boy Feb 28th 2016 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11881590)
I've sold a lot of shit hands out here. That's for sure.

Yeah i know mate " My client is part of the royal family and money is no object for them , the sun shines 364 days per year and you'll love it here , the opportunity is immense for someone of your ability.........."

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 28th 2016 10:03 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 11881593)
Yeah i know mate " My client is part of the royal family and money is no object for them , the sun shines 364 days per year and you'll love it here , the opportunity is immense for someone of your ability.........."

"It's like London with sunshine"

I've actually used that before. :rofl: