British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Newbie + Saudi Questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/newbie-saudi-questions-545340/)

wrxqme Jun 26th 2008 1:32 pm

Newbie + Saudi Questions

Hi all,

Just to sound like a talk-back caller - long time reader, first time poster.

I have read this forum with great interest and thank all who have shared their information (Dean your large post was fantastic).

I have one or two tiny questions that I couldn't find the answers to anywhere else:

1. What are the rules if my wife wants to go out for lunch/dinner with another couple without me? Is she fraternising with a man who's not family or does it not matter because he's married?

2. I am Swiss/Australian my wife is Polish and my daughter in Australian. Will this present a problem when I try to get the rest of my family to Saudi?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have tried and failed to get the answers myself.

Cheers,

Bryn

The Dean Jun 26th 2008 1:38 pm

Re: Newbie + Saudi Questions

Originally Posted by wrxqme (Post 6505835)
Hi all,

Just to sound like a talk-back caller - long time reader, first time poster.

I have read this forum with great interest and thank all who have shared their information (Dean your large post was fantastic).

I have one or two tiny questions that I couldn't find the answers to anywhere else:

1. What are the rules if my wife wants to go out for lunch/dinner with another couple without me? Is she fraternising with a man who's not family or does it not matter because he's married?

2. I am Swiss/Australian my wife is Polish and my daughter in Australian. Will this present a problem when I try to get the rest of my family to Saudi?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have tried and failed to get the answers myself.

Cheers,

Bryn

Thanks for the compliments.

Your questions:

1 - No problem because she is with his wife as well as him - she MUST NOT go out with him alone - the fact that he's married makes it worse, not better..........

2 - Don't know - some nationalities are simply banned (Israel obviously, and one or two others). Usual rule of thumb - if there is an embassy here, people from there are allowed in. Can't remember ever seeing a Polish Embassy here but Google for it or something. Check before you arrive - if her nationality is an obstacle, they WON'T make an exception just because you are here.

Good luck.

wrxqme Jun 26th 2008 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 6505875)
Thanks for the compliments.

2 - Don't know - some nationalities are simply banned (Israel obviously, and one or two others). Usual rule of thumb - if there is an embassy here, people from there are allowed in. Can't remember ever seeing a Polish Embassy here but Google for it or something. Check before you arrive - if her nationality is an obstacle, they WON'T make an exception just because you are here.

Good luck.

No worries for the compliment - well deserved.

There is a Polish embassy in Riyadh. In fact I was hoping that there might be an opportunity of work for her. I'll look in a bit closer.

My question was more around final medicals before visa. I know I have to back to Switzerland for my final medicals because of work visa. I'm not sure if they have togo through the same thing.

Thanks again.

canarybird Jun 28th 2008 7:22 pm

Are you going to be living in Riyadh?

CB

wrxqme Jun 29th 2008 5:44 pm

Yes indeed, flying in on the 9th of July.

Can't wait for the new adventure.