Newbie in Riyadh

Old Aug 5th 2009, 9:32 am
wanting an adventure

Brit Princess xxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Newbie in Riyadh

heyya, i used to live in Saudi Arabia when I was a little girl. Jeddah in particular till i was 9. Mum found it really hard there as a western woman as she couldnt dress the way she wanted, drive or have any real authority over there.

We lived in a compound which was very friendly and many expats lived there, particularly americans. If you are unable to speak arabic then your often ripped off on stuff. They take advantage of the fact your foriegn.

There isnt much to do there but see family as there is little nightlife (if any).

xx
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

LofA is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Alfi;7814408]Does that mean that you want to come too LofA?[/QUOTE

Yeah, yeah yeah! Please please please! Lemmecome,lemmecome, lemmecome!
Promise to not do my Hilary Clinton impression or fall into the BBQ again...
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

mihisam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, I m Sam and I have been here in Riyadh for almost a week. I m a consultant working at a bank and the company put me in an apartment for a month, I was wondering if anyone can help me to find a place by the end of august. Also, I would be more than happy to meet new people too.

Please drop me a line.

Cheers,

Sam
Old Aug 7th 2009, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

mihisam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kellieb
I have been in Riyadh for one month now - working at one of the hospitals here. Us nurses live on a female only compound so any get togethers would be great. There is a group of about 7 of us and we would really love a get together. We are of different nationalities : UK/Australian/Irish/US - keep us informed. Look forward to meeting some of you soon.
Hi, I m new in Riyadh, please let me know if you all would like to get together sometime. I would like to meet new people.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Movingtoriyadh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh
Thanks.

At the moment the company has put me up in a 5* hotel (B & B). I found compounds very hard to come by and prices were extortionate. What I have done is rented a private villa, from my annual allowance. It just needs to be furnished, for which I plan to do this week.

I did try renting in apartments, but they seem to be reserved only for families as they dont seem to like single guys living in family residential apartments. Villa is new and self contained and privacy is assured.

Yes I think it would be nice to have a expat get together.
How did you go about renting a Villa off of a compound? I am moving to Riyadh in September and wasn't aware that living off of a compound was an option.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

simple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to allsimple2204 is a name known to all

Hi All

I am a single bloke living in a compound i insisted on the company getting before i moved out (Thanks Dean and all for that one).
Been here a month or so and came on a work visa so have car, iqama, saudi license and bank account all sorted now which is a major relief.
I agree with most people saying life can be difficult but it is what you make it, always trying to find get togethers etc here but not as easy as i hoped. I was hoping it would get better on the compound when everyone gets back (tho not looking forward to the ring road when schools are back ).
Anyway's would be good to meet other newbies about town.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:47 am
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Movingtoriyadh
How did you go about renting a Villa off of a compound? I am moving to Riyadh in September and wasn't aware that living off of a compound was an option.
hya i am living in riyadh i was born here chick this link maybe it'll be useful for ya http://britishexpats.com/wiki/COMPOUNDS_IN_RIYADH
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:58 am
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road

Desert Shaikh

WELCOME TO KSA
<< do not eat kabsa youll be addicted
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

genteel_2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Newbie in Riyadh

hi all
you are welcome in Riadh

this is yaaser from riadh 23 old looking to improve my English
i know it's look hard to make friend with British
but i hope to faind one can helpe me and hope to faind what i want here
i am so excited for your reply

Thank you,
Old Aug 16th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spurss
Desert Shaikh

WELCOME TO KSA
<< do not eat kabsa youll be addicted
Thanks.

Its too late, I am addicted already. Especially ones from Al Tazaj and the traditional saudi resturants.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:30 am
Just Joined

amy1417 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Alfi, Kellieb.. and all who shared in this thread,

I would like to come over to any of your dos. I am british, single, female - currently living in a compound. On holiday at the moment away in the wild west, but when I come back to Riyadh around 6th Sept. I would love to get back to the social scene - you know what I mean. I am easy going and love mixing. PM me please.

amy1417
Old Aug 21st 2009, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Desert Sheikh,

I am also addicted to Kabsa , Saudi Coffee.... and hours of aimless shopping.

amy1417
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by amy1417
Desert Sheikh,

I am also addicted to Kabsa , Saudi Coffee.... and hours of aimless shopping.

amy1417
Living it up hey,
Old Aug 21st 2009, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Newbie in Riyadh

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh
Living it up hey,
I thought that's the idea. You're in KSA.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alfi
Does that mean that you want to come too LofA?
Me toooooo! Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.