British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Newbie question...Sorry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/newbie-question-sorry-833963/)

gracewarrior May 15th 2014 9:27 am

Newbie question...Sorry

Hi all

Sorry a very newbie question. Have been asked by my employer to see if I would consider relocating to Al Ain. I have a family with two kids aged 10/14yrs old. There's lots of questions but the most pressing one is education, education, education. My children are in a great school currently and my eldest is flying high and about to enter Yr10 starting GCSE's. So, my question is what are the best secondary schools in Al Ain that cover Yr7 to at least Yr11.

Ive sent emails to a few schools and the only one Ive had any feedback from is AAESS (Al Ain English speaking School) and also Al Ain International (which said it doesnt yet handle Yr10/11.

Any thoughts anyone? As you can imagine we are doing lots of fact finding/soul searching

Thanks

archie159 May 15th 2014 10:03 am

Re: Newbie question...Sorry

Have you tried Brighton College Al Ain? It seems they will open up more classes this year.

"Our co-educational Junior School caters for pupils in FS1 up to Year 4, alongside the Boys’ School and Girls’ School for children from Years 5 to 9. Years 10 to 13 will open from 2014"

http://www.brightoncollegealain.ae/about-us-page/

gracewarrior May 15th 2014 11:24 am

hey Archie thank you very much...will pursue that one....I missed that in reading about the school and just skipped to the part of getting upto speed much later than 2014. Thanks again

kirstyp May 15th 2014 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by gracewarrior (Post 11261341)
Hi all

Sorry a very newbie question. Have been asked by my employer to see if I would consider relocating to Al Ain. I have a family with two kids aged 10/14yrs old. There's lots of questions but the most pressing one is education, education, education. My children are in a great school currently and my eldest is flying high and about to enter Yr10 starting GCSE's. So, my question is what are the best secondary schools in Al Ain that cover Yr7 to at least Yr11.

Ive sent emails to a few schools and the only one Ive had any feedback from is AAESS (Al Ain English speaking School) and also Al Ain International (which said it doesnt yet handle Yr10/11.

Any thoughts anyone? As you can imagine we are doing lots of fact finding/soul searching

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to BE :)

Does your employer offer a relocation package that includes education assistance? If so they might be able to put you in touch with their provider to ask a few preliminary questions before you make a decision?

gracewarrior May 15th 2014 1:56 pm

Hi Kirsty...yes the relocation package does include education allowance (not sure if thats what you mean)...certainly will ask the question though...thanks again for your help....

kirstyp May 15th 2014 2:01 pm

yep that's the one. Those guys should be familiar with your destination and the options available to meet your requirements and should be happy to provide some provisional information. Save you trying to do all this blind whilst you've probably got lots of other things to consider. Good luck!

gracewarrior May 15th 2014 3:04 pm

thankyou so much kirsty...appreciated :)

Casta May 18th 2014 12:11 pm

Hi Grace,

Brighton College is relatively new to Al Ain given that it only opened in September 2013. However, many glowing reviews coming from the parents who've got their kids there. It would appear they are attempting to give higher academic standards and compete with top UK schools rather than just settling for being good by UAE standards. There is a relatively large proportion of children from local families compared with AAESS or AAIS but this is reflected in the fact that it was set up to cater for families who wanted a British style school but which was not co-ed in the secondary. Rumour has it that the proportions of locals to expats will start to level out this September with families moving their children over from other schools within Al Ain and with new families arriving in Al Ain.

AAESS has been in existence for a long time and has successfully produced GCSE and A level results with kids going on to Uni spots back in the UK for example. Currently they are going through a period of change having recently been purchased by a new owner who is putting a series of changes in place (a large number of the senior staff have been asked to leave or left it would seem) and for current parents at the school it is unclear how that will be although it would appear there will be meetings about it soon (see AAESS homepage).

At this stage in time those are the two viable options in town until AAIS opens up their secondary school but this will be done later. Otherwise you are looking at living in Abu Dhabi and commuting to Al Ain which has worked for some families in the past but can be hard going on a daily basis depending on what your job is!

I hope that helps a little?

gracewarrior May 18th 2014 1:10 pm

Hi Casta thank you so much that is some really good information... And helps a lot with decisions... Appreciate you taking the time to respond :)

Casta May 18th 2014 1:31 pm

I should have also said feel free to pm me if you've got any more questions about schools or life in Al Ain :)