Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newbie, Please don't shoot me down in flames.

Newbie, Please don't shoot me down in flames.

Old May 4th 2009, 5:31 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie, Please don't shoot me down in flames.

if you work at Al Rahba in my opinion, the commute from Dubai Marina or from central Abu Dhabi is pretty much the same.

In fact, given the traffic in central AD, i would imagine you would be as quick travelling from Dubai Marina. Plus you will get more for your money

Al Rahba is in the desert between Dxb and AD as Jim states..
Old May 4th 2009, 5:43 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
if you work at Al Rahba in my opinion, the commute from Dubai Marina or from central Abu Dhabi is pretty much the same.

In fact, given the traffic in central AD, i would imagine you would be as quick travelling from Dubai Marina. Plus you will get more for your money

Al Rahba is in the desert between Dxb and AD as Jim states..
I agree and would opt for DXB Marina.Friends just got a 2 bedder on monthly renewing; fabulous view and decked out in pristine new luxury furnishings 4 a few shekels over 15K.They get to Maqta Bridge from there in 1 hour.Imagine your anti social shifts will mean you travelling off peak so that's a plus.
Defo better value for your money in DXB and - you work hard(major respect for Nurses) for not a lot so better you have a nice environment to chill when you get days off than stuck in a grotty serviced apartment in AD

Good thing is, you will have 3 months to recce it yourself .

Good luck with it all and we are really all pussy cats here no-one 's gonna bite your head off,cept my best buddy Shadya maybe
Old May 4th 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Sarahb79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eva
I agree and would opt for DXB Marina.Friends just got a 2 bedder on monthly renewing; fabulous view and decked out in pristine new luxury furnishings 4 a few shekels over 15K.They get to Maqta Bridge from there in 1 hour.Imagine your anti social shifts will mean you travelling off peak so that's a plus.
Defo better value for your money in DXB and - you work hard(major respect for Nurses) for not a lot so better you have a nice environment to chill when you get days off than stuck in a grotty serviced apartment in AD

Good thing is, you will have 3 months to recce it yourself .

Good luck with it all and we are really all pussy cats here no-one 's gonna bite your head off,cept my best buddy Shadya maybe
My boyfriend has been saying my best bet for value would be to live west side of DXB looking following a few positive replies that he may well have been right. Don't tell him though, he'll get a big head. Does anyone know of real estate agents websites so I can start looking at what I can get. Thanks again for all your help.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarahb79
My boyfriend has been saying my best bet for value would be to live west side of DXB looking following a few positive replies that he may well have been right. Don't tell him though, he'll get a big head. Does anyone know of real estate agents websites so I can start looking at what I can get. Thanks again for all your help.

Aaaaw boyfriends with big heads ain't always a bad thing....
Tbh, you could do all the researching you like ..and set your heart on summit
but the reality is : wait till you get here.Accommodation and rents are such a changing canvas that by the time you are ready to sign(ie thru probation and with Visa) the whole marketplace could have changed.
Will get the details of company my friends renting from and pm you
Given the current financial climes 3 weeks is a long time in rentals ..let alone three months...Can't remember your E.T.A but you may even cash in on the summer exodus.You are in a good position so don't worry.
Old May 4th 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Eva
Aaaaw boyfriends with big heads ain't always a bad thing....
Tbh, you could do all the researching you like ..and set your heart on summit
but the reality is : wait till you get here.Accommodation and rents are such a changing canvas that by the time you are ready to sign(ie thru probation and with Visa) the whole marketplace could have changed.
Will get the details of company my friends renting from and pm you
Given the current financial climes 3 weeks is a long time in rentals ..let alone three months...Can't remember your E.T.A but you may even cash in on the summer exodus.You are in a good position so don't worry.
Still awaiting contract but I would guess end of June/beginging of July would be my guess. It would look like Im coming over at the right time going to have the security of a fixed contract. If you could get me some rental details that would be great, all info is gold at the moment even if im not using it right now.
Old May 4th 2009, 7:22 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sarahb79
Still awaiting contract but I would guess end of June/beginging of July would be my guess. It would look like Im coming over at the right time going to have the security of a fixed contract. If you could get me some rental details that would be great, all info is gold at the moment even if im not using it right now.

I'm better with the AD end of things but will send agent for DXB Marina
Don't place a lot of emphises on 'fixed contract' or Employment Law as you know it when referencing job in UAE. Not meant to worry you but it's all very frustrating out there waiting for things to be signed off.
Just go with the flow and it'll be fine..no such thing as timelines
Old May 5th 2009, 4:25 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
I'm better with the AD end of things but will send agent for DXB Marina
Don't place a lot of emphises on 'fixed contract' or Employment Law as you know it when referencing job in UAE. Not meant to worry you but it's all very frustrating out there waiting for things to be signed off.
Just go with the flow and it'll be fine..no such thing as timelines
if you do decide to live in Dubai take a look at the Shoreline Apartments in Palm Island. Really nice and access on and off is pretty good. Check out www.dubizzle.com for rental prices. They are coming down and by the time you are going to be looking they should have dropped even more than they have now.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys. Have looked at prices and Dubai seems much cheaper and to have a little bit more going on. Don't think I'd want to live in the centre of AD. Main thing is I don't want an hr commute to work. 12 hr days are bad enough without sticking another 2 hours on top for travelling.

Will find out if it's actual flight or cash they give. Something that hadn't ocured to me so thanks for the heads up.

Still waiting for written confirmtion at the mo which is slightly annoying as stuck in limbo at the mo.