Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newbie, Please don't shoot me down in flames.

Newbie, Please don't shoot me down in flames.

Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sarahb79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie, Please don't shoot me down in flames.

Hi.

I've done a bit of digging through posts but don't seem to have found info that am after and could do with some help please folks.

Basically I've been offered a job as a charge nurse working at the Al Rahba hospital in AD. I'm currently waiting for the hosp to get back with contract and terms and conditions.

Looks like a reasonably good deal that they are offering, Wages between £1240 and £2800 per month, I should be around the £2500 mark as been qualified 8 Years.

Usual 3 months in compound and then 100000 UAD for rent. Paying for transport and water and electric. Also one flight back to UK per year.

This sound like a reasonable package to you?

Any ideas on roughly how long from accepting to actualy moving? Not too sure how long visa's etc take, will also need nursing license.

Sorry if these have been answered before but thank you in advance.
Old May 1st 2009, 4:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie, Please don't shoot me down in flames.

It sounds good to me, I am not in Nursing but the salaries are normally not that good. When you say 100,000 for rent, where would you be living?
Old May 1st 2009, 6:35 am

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
It sounds good to me, I am not in Nursing but the salaries are normally not that good. When you say 100,000 for rent, where would you be living?
That shouldn't be a problem ... by the time she comes she'll be able to rent a penthouse in Marina for that money ... or two in JBR
Old May 1st 2009, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Not too sure where I'd be living. Looking on the net and maps at the mo Khalifa looks like the most likely place, but again any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:43 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarahb79
Not too sure where I'd be living. Looking on the net and maps at the mo Khalifa looks like the most likely place, but again any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
not for 100,000 k a year you won't, do the hospital not provide accomodation?
Old May 1st 2009, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Sarah.

Rents in AD have not, I understand, plummetted in the way that Dubai rents have - 100K dhs would probably get you a 1-bed flat in one of the less popular areas of town. My info is a bit out of date, however, as I left AD almost a year ago - perhaps another poster could give a more accurate opinion?

I would imagine that the salary offer is attractive relative to nursing salaries in the UK, but you should be aware that the "expat lifestyle" (for what its worth) is only really affordable to those on generous packages in more lucrative industries.

There are a fair few expats in lower paid industries in AD (e.g. teaching, nursing) - the norm would be to expect the employer to cover a sensible level of housing allowance, medical insurance, flights home - in which case your salary would be largely disposable income (water and elec, costs of running a car, telecomms bills would be your shout). On the salary quoted, you could probably have a reasonable life-style but don't expect to be champagne brunching every week-end (although every other w/end might be OK!!!).

Be wary of job security, and don't take out any loans just in case you're left high and dry.

Good Luck!
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

The hospital only provide the accomodation for the first three months then they help find a place.

would I be better at looking at the outskirts of Dubai?

The hosp will cover my water and electric so will just have phone and stuff to pay for.

May sound really boring but not looking for the champagne lifestyle. Want to see what nursing is like in somewhere else as really fed up of nursing in the UK at the moment.

Thanks for all your help folks.
Old May 3rd 2009, 2:58 pm
Concierge

The hospital only provide the accomodation for the first three months then they help find a place.

would I be better at looking at the outskirts of Dubai?

The hosp will cover my water and electric so will just have phone and stuff to pay for.

May sound really boring but not looking for the champagne lifestyle. Want to see what nursing is like in somewhere else as really fed up of nursing in the UK at the moment.

Thanks for all your help folks.
I would say no, the drive back and forth to AD would eventually wear you down. You need a better accomodation allowance, or to maybe share with another nurse?
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

How long is the drive, please bear in mind that I will be working for Al Rahba Hospital which I believe is 40/50km from central AD.
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough

You'll be fine on that assuming you're coming on your own and its nearer the £2500 range and AED100000 housing allowance is on top of that.

To be honest i dont earn a great deal more than that and i have plenty of money to go out with, save etc. Just live like you probably did in the Uk and you'll be fine.

AED100,000 might get you a one bed on island, a really nice studio with roof terrace pergaps with cash to spare or sharing (which is technically illegal, but....). If you live towards the bridges end (Mushrif, Muror etc) of the island your commute should be 30 to 40mins to Rahba and still close enough to the town centre nightlife etc. Khalifa is a bit remote if you ask me, bit far from nightlife and not really any cheaper for small flats, plus its bandit country.

You dont need loads of money to live here and have fun, just dont buy a massive car, dont live in a mega posh flat, dont shop at spinneys, dont go to brunch all the time, dont try and keep up with the Prada laden tossers etc....

Plenty of fun cheap things to do.

No idea what the hospitals like but it does have an impressive ramp thing up the front of it so cant be all bad!
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

What is traffic like through the day/night. My shift pattens are going to be 8am to 8pm or a night shift 8pm to 8am. Will this help me miss mass jams of rush hour traffic?
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Shat Fink will become famous soon enough

Traffic shouldnt be too bad if you live out of the centre of town. Also the south west side of the island is better as then you can get on the Mussafa road and go round the back of the airport or cut through Khalifa City which is a pretty fast route.

Living in the outskirts of Dubai wouldnt take much longer to drive tbh, just depends what kinda lifestyle you prefer. I personally like AD more but depends what you like really.

One thing about flat is make sure they give you AED100k upfront as some landlords still demand one or two cheques per year.

All in all go for it, it'll be an experience, you will hopefully have some fun and save a bit of dollar too.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Main objective is to get out and experience another country and working practice within my job. Also looking to squirrel as much money as I can away for future so not looking for big lavish life style just to get on and get by.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to beholdJim Smith is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Shat Fink;7537708]Traffic shouldnt be too bad if you live out of the centre of town. Also the south west side of the island is better as then you can get on the Mussafa road and go round the back of the airport or cut through Khalifa City which is a pretty fast route.

From what I remember, I don't go to Abu Dhabi very much, but Al Rabha Hospital is on the Abu Dhabi/Dubai road, amongst all the Green/White massive villas on the right as you go to AD from DXB, and only about 50 KM from Jebel Ali and about 60 Km from Al Barsha. However try and check that out with others. I am sure I went to Al Rabha Hospital and dropped off an Arab lady I picked up in the middle of the desert west of Abu Dhabi a few years ago, on my way back to DXB
Old May 4th 2009, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

mrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nicemrskpd is just really nice

Sounds like a decent package. I am in Dubai not AD but here are two examples of friends in AD. One lives in a fairly basic one bed flat right in the heart of the city, it is a room carved out of a villa with extremely basic kitchen, total rent is AED 165,000 per year. Another friend lives in a shared villa in Khalifa city, brand new four bed villa with two private gardens, he pays AED 70,000 per year for his share.
If you are after experience take the offer and worry about the accommodation when you get here, with 3 months in the compound you will have plenty of time for things to fall into place
Things to double check
Do they give you the cash value of the flight home each year, or the actual flight? Obviously the cash value is generally preferred but some companies give you an actual ticket
Make sure your medical insurance is covered
Check carefully the terms of the contract if it is fixed term, just in case you don't like it and want to get out of it early
As per others advice, try and get the rent cheque out of them up front to avoid having to take a loan
If you haven't already been out here, best to come for a visit before you sign up, it's not too everyone's taste! Push the hospital to pay for this if you can
It can be a really fun life out here, plenty of ups and downs but a great life experience.
Good luck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.