Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newbie moving to Abu Dhabi - Is it worth it?

Newbie moving to Abu Dhabi - Is it worth it?

Old Apr 29th 2014, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Buzz126 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie moving to Abu Dhabi - Is it worth it?

Firstly hi to all you brave souls having already taken the plunge, and thanks to all who spend the time helping the new ones like us from the UK

I've been offered a job in Abu Dhabi and really looking forward to taking it on.
Basic is 264,300 pa this includes various allowances
Rental is 144,000 pa which is not included in the basic and is either paid by my employer direct or to me.
There is no pension scheme.

Free medical and 33 working days leave
If we had kids then 57,000 per child up to two.

The big question is could the two of us sustain a comfortable lifestyle? I don't mean champagne but not having money worries is a start.

Anyone out there could give us a reality check then that would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie moving to Abu Dhabi - Is it worth it?

Have you checked out the 'is it worth it' sticky at the top of the page?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzz126 View Post
Firstly hi to all you brave souls having already taken the plunge, and thanks to all who spend the time helping the new ones like us from the UK

I've been offered a job in Abu Dhabi and really looking forward to taking it on.
Rental is 144,000 pa which is not included in the basic and is either paid by my employer direct or to me.

The big question is could the two of us sustain a comfortable lifestyle? I don't mean champagne but not having money worries is a start.

Many thanks

in auh medical has to be provided by company for spouse upto 3 kids.
57k each child is pretty good. at the moment some senior schs are around 60k or a little more so thats pretty good.
144k for accomodation is a good amount too.
standard for hols.
there is no pension scheme here in uae, its called gratiuty when you leave.
bills? they can be expensive and setting up too.
Old May 4th 2014, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Rubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond reputeRubydo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzz126 View Post

Many thanks
Hi buzz126

First of all congratulations on your job
The salary and accommodation allowance all sounds good to me. You will be able to find somewhere decent for the allowance allocated and definitely be able to live comfortably with the salary. Think about looking for accommodation below the allowance then this will give you money to play with for furniture and bills ect... I don't think the bills are mega out here, Internet is quite pricey but other things are all pretty much ok.

Hope this info finds you well and don't hesitate to ask any more questions. Best of luck with the move.

Laura x
Old May 4th 2014, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubydo View Post
Hi buzz126

First of all congratulations on your job
The salary and accommodation allowance all sounds good to me. You will be able to find somewhere decent for the allowance allocated and definitely be able to live comfortably with the salary. Think about looking for accommodation below the allowance then this will give you money to play with for furniture and bills ect... I don't think the bills are mega out here, Internet is quite pricey but other things are all pretty much ok.

Hope this info finds you well and don't hesitate to ask any more questions. Best of luck with the move.

Laura x
bills arent too pricey they can be in a villa with central air or in raha gardens or where there is district cooling. internet is expensive and poor in comparison to others.