Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newbie - Lancashire to Doha - Chat?

Newbie - Lancashire to Doha - Chat?

Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:55 am
Account Closed

watcakes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie - Lancashire to Doha - Chat?

Hello,

My husband is more than likely going to accept a job offer in Doha. At this moment in time we are planning that I am staying in the UK to look after our 4 year old daughter whilst he goes out to work. The plan is save up money to try and pay off our mortgage as we are stuck in an apartment which we can not sell.

My daughter has just started school and has settled in really well and I am most pleased with the school. I am not ruling out moving out to Doha but would welcome advice on expats who are currently living there and perhaps experienced the same decisions as we having to make. Could you tell me your thoughts on the country, cost of living, dress code, stuff to do with kids, schooling, education, sport centres etc?

Thank you,

Kaz.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:39 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie - Lancashire to Doha - Chat?

Hi watcakes. In a nutshell, Qatar is fine. It isn't as big or as vibrant as Dubai, and is a little more conservative...only a little. It is a fairly OK place for families, especially with young kids. There are plenty of people from the same demographic there. Property is expensive...petrol is 15p a litre.

For more detail on what it's like, I would suggest having a look at www.qatarliving.com. There are specific forums for people with questions like yours about cost of living, lifestyle and so on. This site is more Dubai-centric.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:16 pm
Account Closed

many thanks
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by watcakes
many thanks
Personally I think staying in the UK is a very sensible option, especially if hubby finds Qatar and/or the job not to his taste and eventually decides against staying. You can always visit each other for holidays. In some ways, you get the best of both worlds. Your hubby may not agree but he will get used to it.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 6:16 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Personally I think staying in the UK is a very sensible option, especially if hubby finds Qatar and/or the job not to his taste and eventually decides against staying. You can always visit each other for holidays. In some ways, you get the best of both worlds. Your hubby may not agree but he will get used to it.
Yes, that's also an option. Depends how often you can get out/he can get back. Flights to Doha aren't that cheap.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:07 am
Account Closed

I know, I had no idea they were that expensive. He would probably fly back every 6-8 weeks and then I would join him throughout August. The things I have to weigh up is the cost of living for him over there and there is my cost of living here, or if I went over to live with him with our daughter, we would have one set of bills to pay but then I would have to go through the nightmare of finding the right school again, social networking and plus taking my daughter away from family members etc. But I know the wages would give us some savings to then pay off our mortgage which would then free us to move and settle down in the UK, if we decide to go back. Decisions decisions....
Old Jan 11th 2010, 11:54 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by watcakes
I know, I had no idea they were that expensive. He would probably fly back every 6-8 weeks and then I would join him throughout August. The things I have to weigh up is the cost of living for him over there and there is my cost of living here, or if I went over to live with him with our daughter, we would have one set of bills to pay but then I would have to go through the nightmare of finding the right school again, social networking and plus taking my daughter away from family members etc. But I know the wages would give us some savings to then pay off our mortgage which would then free us to move and settle down in the UK, if we decide to go back. Decisions decisions....
August is definitely NOT the best month to spend any time over here...45degC plus humidity...so try and get hubby to take some time off then so he can fly to the UK or join you somewhere for a nice summer holiday where its not unbearably hot.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband lives in ME and I don't and we have two teenage kids and it is tough. He visits regularly but it's not the same as having him here all the time. I am basically a single parent most of the time. At the age of my kids being away from their dad is hard but they skype every day and understand the reasonings behind our situation. With a young child I would say go, give it a try, assuming all costs will be covered for the whole family ie. housing, schooling, relocation, car, etc. etc. Life is what you make it and it's too short to be apart for long periods of time. With a young child in school you will soon meet lots of people and make friends, and friends and family from UK will be keen to visit I'm sure.

I would think it would be easier for your husband to settle if you are all together than if you are apart.

Just my two pennies worth

N
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:16 am
Just Joined

raaijen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
nice to know
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:09 am
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

Hello, I moved out to Doha in October 2008 and my wife and children followed(6&3) in mid December.
Doha its self is fine with quite a lot to do for families and the socializing is mainly at friends homes.
Dont come this August as it is Ramadan then and it is really limiting here during Ramadan eg no where is open during the day and you can not get Alcohol at all plus its blxxdy hot then.
My wife and children love it here and enjoy their school(The Montessori).
The cost of living here is high but after a few months you do start to gather up some cash, Villas are getting cheaper to rent and make sure your husband gets a married contract with either a good allowance (Say QR 15000 per month) or decent accommodation provided.
Try not to listen to the Dubai dwellers who tell you it is boring here, It can be boring or it can be fun.(They are just jealous that we have a booming economy still and theirs has gone down the pan)
Our mind set was lets try it and see what happens, There are risks with moving but it is great at birthday parties where the children are from 12 different countrys and their best friend is from New Zealand.
PM me if you have any more questions and I can get my wife to answer any other questions for you.