British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Newbie in Jeddah (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/newbie-jeddah-604341/)

Barbs2084 Apr 19th 2009 7:10 pm

Newbie in Jeddah

Hello, I'm brand new to Jeddah and have long term plans to be an expat here... although i'm only on a weeks visit this time round.

Can anyone offer safe and reliable advice for a young, single , female wanting to form some sort of a life out here?!

Am in a hotel at the moment so sadly have no access to the expat thing - where should i start? (beside posting on this thing of course)

Really keen for running, sports, photography, horse-riding, kick-boxing , art and nice sane people. Any advice would be great. Am armed with a lonely planet guide and am keen to get out...just not to sure how!

Roadking Apr 19th 2009 7:17 pm

Re: Newbie in Jeddah

Originally Posted by Barbs2084 (Post 7493954)
Really keen for running, sports, photography, horse-riding, kick-boxing , art and nice sane people. Any advice would be great. Am armed with a lonely planet guide and am keen to get out...just not to sure how!

Coming on here, the first two I can understand. But the third???:confused:

Good luck and welcome to the bored.:thumbsup:

still.unsure Apr 20th 2009 5:55 am

Hello, I'm brand new to Jeddah and have long term plans to be an expat here... although i'm only on a weeks visit this time round.

Can anyone offer safe and reliable advice for a young, single , female wanting to form some sort of a life out here?!

Am in a hotel at the moment so sadly have no access to the expat thing - where should i start? (beside posting on this thing of course)

best bet is to get along to a hash (there's a jeddah chapter, nottingham may pop on here and know it). there basically an afternoon running/walking around the local desert and a great place to meet expats whilst not on a compound. then, it sort of goes from there. there's also the british and caledonian societeis that have a chapter here in riyadh and i think in jeddah as well.

oh, and hit up the expats at your work for pointers too.

haz saeed

Bonny Boy Apr 20th 2009 6:12 am

I've been here for 3 weeks now, staying in a hotel. I've been an expat in many Mid East and West African countries and I think that here you will have to work very hard to build a social life, doubly so as a single female. So far work has kept me busy, but once the project is back on track I am hoping for some free time.

I believe there is a hash house harriers (HHH) group in Jeddah, this is a social 'running' club, and would be a good start. However, the web site is several years old, and I have had no response on the contact details - Can anyone help?

I have been running independently in the evening through the Al Hamra district and onto the south corniche towards the fish market. Wearing a T top and 3/4 length track suit bottoms, no problem at all, or at least no more stares than when I was in Dubai. Would be less easy for a women, however, due to the abaya requirement!!

For photography, be discreet. There is a certain distrust of photography in stricter Islamic circles due to its association with creating Icons - the Koran was a move away from such pagan beliefs, hence painting and photography, especially of people, is frowned upon. Having said that, there are no absolutes, and you will see people snapping away on occasion, but not too frequently.

Try and go down to the old town, Al Balad, in late afternoon. If Saudi were more accessible, this place would be full of tourists - a traditional souq, together with old coral housing with wooden framed windows/balconies in various states of disrepair. I've been able to get some photos of buildings (not people), but have been very cautious. By adopting the full local outfit, you would be less noticeable. I wasn't even pestered, which I was expecting being tall and clearly a 'Westerner'. I think because there are virtually no 'tourists' there are no touts and trouble makers hanging out. Long trousers and T shirt were OK for me as a man.

Due to my Saudi visa, I currently get 2 days every 2 weeks in Dubai, so I do get a change of scenery once in a while.

Hope it works out for you.

lionheart Apr 20th 2009 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 7494911)
Due to my Saudi visa, I currently get 2 days every 2 weeks in Dubai, so I do get a change of scenery once in a while.

That must work out very expensive for your employers and time consuming for you. Wouldn't Bahrain be alot cheaper and quicker?

Bonny Boy Apr 20th 2009 7:31 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7495010)
That must work out very expensive for your employers and time consuming for you. Wouldn't Bahrain be alot cheaper and quicker?

Employer based in Dubai. Also, as I have just been living in Dubai, I can meet up with my friends - when you factor in the check in times and passport queues, particularly at the Jeddah end, the difference in flying time is marginal to the overall journey.

Anyway, I note that Bahrain is getting less 'interesting' these days.....

eylesda Apr 20th 2009 8:04 am

I'd recommend joining the British Businessmens Association. Don't let the title put you off, ladies wellcome.

http://www.bbg-jed.org/

Always a great source for meeting people and invites to embassy bashes.

Barbs2084 Apr 20th 2009 10:57 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7494881)
best bet is to get along to a hash (there's a jeddah chapter, nottingham may pop on here and know it). there basically an afternoon running/walking around the local desert and a great place to meet expats whilst not on a compound. then, it sort of goes from there. there's also the british and caledonian societeis that have a chapter here in riyadh and i think in jeddah as well.

oh, and hit up the expats at your work for pointers too.

haz saeed

Thank you for the info. Really appreciate it. I've been caught up with work too so not had the chance to get out. Have tried googling the hash harriers, but if you find a good contact it would be great if you could share it.

These short stints of a week between jeddah and riyadh aren't very ideal for building contacts, but I do hope to be a bit more permenant the next time i'm out here...which could be a few months. Am collecting info on sociable places all the time for when i'm back.

Thank you all for your help on this!

still.unsure Apr 20th 2009 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Barbs2084 (Post 7495766)
Thank you for the info. Really appreciate it. I've been caught up with work too so not had the chance to get out. Have tried googling the hash harriers, but if you find a good contact it would be great if you could share it.

These short stints of a week between jeddah and riyadh aren't very ideal for building contacts, but I do hope to be a bit more permenant the next time i'm out here...which could be a few months. Am collecting info on sociable places all the time for when i'm back.

Thank you all for your help on this!

have just dropped you a pm with the hash contact details. make another post as you need a minimum of 3 (i think) to access the pm's.

Barbs2084 Apr 20th 2009 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7496178)
have just dropped you a pm with the hash contact details. make another post as you need a minimum of 3 (i think) to access the pm's.

Thankyou! Just checking it.

forallu Apr 20th 2009 9:08 pm

Welcome to Jeddah... Just be yourself.. Saudi people like other nationalities and cultures individuals.

jeddahcook May 23rd 2009 1:05 pm

For things to do on the restaurant/dining scene, check out jeddah food (dot) com

they list restaurants opening in Jeddah all the time..

Blue Cat May 23rd 2009 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by jeddahcook (Post 7597822)
For things to do on the restaurant/dining scene, check out jeddah food (dot) com

they list restaurants opening in Jeddah all the time..

do you work for them :confused:

xij64 Jul 25th 2009 2:38 pm

Can anyone let me have Jeddah Hash House Harriers contacts please.

OnOn

Trolley Dolly