Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newbie here - Abu Dhabi vs Dubai (living, etc)

Newbie here - Abu Dhabi vs Dubai (living, etc)

Old Dec 3rd 2013, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Caribda is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Newbie here - Abu Dhabi vs Dubai (living, etc)

Hello All,

As mentioned in the title, would love to find your "certified" opinions on the following aspect: I will get a job in Abu Dhabi but would like to live in Dubai, more precisely, The Address, Dubai Marina, now my questions are:

1. Is the trafic infernal between Dubai and Abu Dhabi ? I have heard several stories.
2. How much time would i spend on the road between the above locations ?
3. Is The Address a good place to stay at least for the first year ?

Many thanks in advance,
C
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:03 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie here - Abu Dhabi vs Dubai (living, etc)

1. Less bad than it was prior to a lot of AD workers being forced to live in AD or they didn't get housing allowance. Try to stay out of the outside lane 'The white wall of death' unless you enjoy having 4x4's about 6 inches from your rear bumper, flashing you, not that you can see because they're too close, while you're doing 140 Kph.
2. Depends where in AD your job is, but factor around an hour each way on a normal day. If there is an accident things grind to a halt. If it's foggy, and the fog season has started now, then you'll crawl on the inner lanes while they drive at 140 in the outside lane because Yani Inshallah it's not my day to die.
3. No idea, usual termite mound in the grid locked Marina. Enjoy.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on who your employer is going to be you may have to live in Abu Dhabi to get your housing allowance.

I think Mike’s underestimating at an hour each way more like 1.5hrs. However his review of traffic is spot on, it’s especially bad Thursday nights.

The Address at the Marina is nice, relatively new and well located, but traffic round it can be a 'mare. Will be pricey for a serviced apartment, you could get a large, furnished, one or two bed in the Marina or JLT for the same money. Getting an unfurnished and buying everything yourself would probably still be cheaper.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

That drive is horrible, so why put yourself through it every day if you don't have to? Far better to stay somewhere in AD to start with, acquaint yourself with the area, journey etc and then make a decision in a few months time.

I knew someone who lived in The Address in The Marina for a year and even a few years back it cost over AED 10,000 per month.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 6:38 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

An hour for travelling is optimistic. I used to live in Dubai Marina and my office was just before Maqta Bridge (ie just off AD island). It took me less than 5 minutes to get on to the SZR, and it was about an hour door-to-door, and I was generally in the fast lane doing 140 past the cameras and 160 ish the rest of the time. Not sure how much you'd have to add on for the bit from the Address to Marina, but I'd guess at least 20 minutes. Then if your office is going to be downtown AD at least 30 mins from Maqta Bridge / SZ Bridge to downtown.

As stated above, Thursdays tended to be far worse on the journey back, and factor in a major incident about twice a month adding anything from 10 mins to 2+ hours to the journey.

If you've not driven in the ME before, you may be in for a surprise.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:36 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

An example of driving in the fog, 289 collisions between 3am and noon the other day.

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...12-04-1.530057
Old Dec 4th 2013, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

abudhabinewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

why not just live in Abu Dhabi? dont let people from dubai tell you there is nothing to do here, most of them havent even been!!!

Great place to live and no hastle with traffic. People are also much friendlier here IMO
Old Dec 4th 2013, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abudhabinewbie
why not just live in Abu Dhabi? dont let people from dubai tell you there is nothing to do here, most of them havent even been!!!

Great place to live and no hastle with traffic. People are also much friendlier here IMO
Because you have lived here for ever and know a lot more than we do :-D How do you know how many times "most of us" have been to AD?

I haven't seen anybody Knock AD on this thread sweetie
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:04 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in both. AD traffic can be as mental as Dubai's, it very much depends where you're travelling from and to, and when. I certainly wouldn't fancy a commute that involved travelling from the mainland end of the island to the Corniche.

As to friendliness, I didn't notice a difference. What is different is the number of venues: far, far more in Dubai. One of the reasons I moved to Dubai was the greater choice--after 3 years in AD I'd got a bit bored of going to the same bars and restaurants, but nevertheless I enjoyed living there.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Just a myth
Old Dec 4th 2013, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

abudhabinewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

hence why i said IMO guys

Also i didnt say people on this forum talk down on Abu Dhabi, i am talking about people i have met in Dubai

Agreed, a lot more does go on in Dubai but personally i just prefer the feel of AD and think its a little more "real" and homely...........

At the end of the day you can always commute down on the weekends to Dubai if you get bored and then get away from it.

Also i would hate to be commuting in that traffic every day. One crash and there is no telling how long you will be sitting on that road
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:02 am
Hit 16's

Also i would hate to be commuting in that traffic every day. One crash and there is no telling how long you will be sitting on that road
...or in a wheelchair.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:05 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

hence why i said IMO guys

Also i didnt say people on this forum talk down on Abu Dhabi, i am talking about people i have met in Dubai

Agreed, a lot more does go on in Dubai but personally i just prefer the feel of AD and think its a little more "real" and homely...........

At the end of the day you can always commute down on the weekends to Dubai if you get bored and then get away from it.

Claims that one city is more 'real' than another are a total crock. It depends in where in any city you live, go out and who you hang around with.

I suspect that as you've only been in AD a short while you don't know Dubai and have only been to a few shiny places. IMO as you say...
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I'd choose to live in Abu Dhabi even if I worked in Jebel Ali
Old Dec 5th 2013, 2:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you prefer the city that you first arrived in. Most of the Abu Dhabi posters have never lived in Dubai and most of the Dubai posters have lived in Abu Dhabi.

I've lived in both. Abu Dhabi is a far nicer city. Dubai offers so much more. Flick a coin, it makes no difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.