Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Newbie coming to the UAE

Newbie coming to the UAE

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Emanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really nice
Default Newbie coming to the UAE

Hello everyone allow me to introduce myself I'm Emanuele. I am from Manchester and work as a chartered chemical engineer. If anyone could answer a few of the following questions that would be helpful, please note I am choosing to give out the following information.

Degree: MEng in Chemical Engineering and Management.
Experience: 5 years non-chartered and 3 year chartered (management)
Salary: 48000 and 20-30% bonus.

The thing is I have been offered to be shipped to Dubai by my company, the salary package is quite nice and I am just wondering if that's what everyone here will think.

Package: Accommodation Allowance (250,000 AED), Medical, Bonus (30% and 1 month pay) Relocation package of about 2,000 GBP, Vehicle Allowance and a base salary of 52,000.

The reason they are giving me such a good package is that I have cut alot of costs for the plant that I worked in. I managed to save my departments but from being sued based on false allegations

So sorry again for asking such a newbie question, I have no kids or wife ( just lost Oh)
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:06 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie coming to the UAE

is that a base salary of £52k/ yr or 52k AED a month? ... and the accommodation allowance is on top of the base salary.

If that's the case, then, apart from the relocation allowance being a bit on the slim side, I think you'll be laughing all the way to the bank, especially if you're coming on your own and don't have to worry about schooling. You accomm allowance is very generous. If you take a one-bed somewhere (in a nice area), you could easily pocket 150k of that money, because rents won't be more than 100k.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:23 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

At GBP52k pa you'll be far better off than you are currently in UK if you do as suggested and pocket a bundle of the housing allowance; if its AED52k pcm, can I be your friend?

Dubai's not cheap, but with the generosity of the housing allowance you'll be ok.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

The housing allowance is ridiculously generous. I take it the company hasn't clued on on the Dubai real estate collapse.

250K gets the dude a big villa in the Meadows if he wants, with some change left over. He'll get a handsome 2-bed flat in the Marina or Downtown for under 100K.

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
At GBP52k pa you'll be far better off than you are currently in UK if you do as suggested and pocket a bundle of the housing allowance; if its AED52k pcm, can I be your friend?

Dubai's not cheap, but with the generosity of the housing allowance you'll be ok.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
The housing allowance is ridiculously generous. I take it the company hasn't clued on on the Dubai real estate collapse.

250K gets the dude a big villa in the Meadows if he wants, with some change left over. He'll get a handsome 2-bed flat in the Marina or Downtown for under 100K.
What can he get in the greens for that budget?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

A two story duplex apartment with terraces and lake and/or golf course views. He'll still have 100K left over.

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
What can he get in the greens for that budget?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emanuele
Hello everyone allow me to introduce myself I'm Emanuele. I am from Manchester and work as a chartered chemical engineer. If anyone could answer a few of the following questions that would be helpful, please note I am choosing to give out the following information.

Degree: MEng in Chemical Engineering and Management.
Experience: 5 years non-chartered and 3 year chartered (management)
Salary: 48000 and 20-30% bonus.

The thing is I have been offered to be shipped to Dubai by my company, the salary package is quite nice and I am just wondering if that's what everyone here will think.

Package: Accommodation Allowance (250,000 AED), Medical, Bonus (30% and 1 month pay) Relocation package of about 2,000 GBP, Vehicle Allowance and a base salary of 52,000.

The reason they are giving me such a good package is that I have cut alot of costs for the plant that I worked in. I managed to save my departments but from being sued based on false allegations

So sorry again for asking such a newbie question, I have no kids or wife ( just lost Oh)
Hi Emanuele.......

I liked your films...........
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:01 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83

there are still people coming in on these type of packages...I work in relocation and I've got lots of clients with housing budgets over 300,000 dhs a year so it's not uncommon.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:45 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
there are still people coming in on these type of packages...I work in relocation and I've got lots of clients with housing budgets over 300,000 dhs a year so it's not uncommon.
can I have one please?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Nice line of work..............

"Look, if you hand your 300,000 over to me, I'll get you a very nice 2-bedroomed apartment in The Greens........... don't worry about the paperwork, I'll take care of that........"
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:00 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

they don't get to keep the money...if they rent for 100,000 companies only pays out that amount.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:52 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

they don't get to keep the money...if they rent for 100,000 companies only pays out that amount.
Depends on the company. At least 2 of my friends are paid their accommodation allowances directly, and they spend only about half.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:55 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Depends on the company. At least 2 of my friends are paid their accommodation allowances directly, and they spend only about half.
sure...but the ones I am dealing with don't pay out the whole amount, so therefore the Deans suggestion is beside the point.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sure...but the ones I am dealing with don't pay out the whole amount, so therefore the Deans suggestion is beside the point.
Then it's not an 'allowance'.........

My suggestion wasn't entirely serious by the way...........
Old Jan 24th 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Emanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really niceEmanuele is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies guys, I know that they are being very generous with the package. The accommodation is on top of the base salary. I have already found a nice place to live for 200,000 AED a year, so the rest is going into my pocket. The reason I am choosing this is because its a villa and both of my brothers are coming to Dubai. One of them is a Dentist and the youngest one is a banker.

I think I am being duped though, overall they are being paid more than me and they are younger. Talk about a pain for being the eldest, well thanks again guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.