Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Visit Visa to Employment Visa in Dubai

New Visit Visa to Employment Visa in Dubai

Old May 3rd 2004, 2:47 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road
Default New Visit Visa to Employment Visa in Dubai

First they say that you dont need to leave to transfer your visa by paying Dhs. 500 after the Kish crash, but now they are saying that you have to leave for a month and then return. Whats up with this?

Waiting period to halt rampant visa changes
Expatriates who want to change the status of their visit visa to an employment visa will have to leave the UAE and return only after 30 days, the UAE's immigration chief announced.

The recommendation by the Ministry of Interior has yet to be approved by higher authorities, said Brigadier Hadher Khalfa Al Muhairi, director general of the Directorate of Naturalisation and Residency.

At present, visitors can change their residency status after finding jobs here, either by paying a Dh500 fee or exiting and re-entering into the country within a day or more.

Under the proposals, visitors will not be issued work permits unless they leave for one month and return on an employment visa.

Brigadier Hadher Khalaf Al Muhairi said: "The proposals require all such job hunters to leave the country for at least one month and return on an employment visa through their sponsors."

He added that the proposal was made to ensure that any new worker entering the country fulfiled all the legal requirements for issuing an employment visa.

Al Muhairi continued, saying: "A visit visa should be used just for that purpose and not for starting work. People who are given a visit visa should not abuse it by trying to work on their visit visa.

"They have no right to work whether paid or unpaid. If they do find work during their stay, they are to go back home for one month before they are issued a work permit."

Under the new proposal, visitors will not be able to re-enter the country within a month from leaving the UAE.

"Their names and other personal details will be stored in an electronic immigration network so that they can be blocked from re-entering the country within 30 days of their exit.

"Under the current law, people who stay on after their visit visas expire to start work are fined a small amount, then are able to obtain a work permit."

The proposals would put an end to this practice.

Al Muhairi added that another proposal was to issue a combined visit-work visa for certain categories of jobs which would be valid for three months to a year. The brigadier said this would help the building industry recruit workers.

"People have been abusing the lenient policy of the government by entering and re-entering the country as a tourist in order to extend their stay in the country by taking quick return flights several times in a month.

"Many expatriates would come on a tourist or transit visa and as soon as it expires they would cross the border and come back on a fresh visa. Many have stayed years in the UAE on a tourist visa which is unacceptable."

A proposal, he added, has been made to control this by making it compulsory for such visitors to have a gap of between one and three months after each visit.

"Under the recommendation, people having visited the country on such visas will only be issued another entry permit after a certain period of their exit from the country."

Referring to the six month ban on re-entering the country after the cancellation of a resident or employment visa, the immigration chief said a certain number of categories have been exempted from this ban.

The official said the exemption was necessary for certain categories for the country's economy and labour market. "The country cannot afford to lose skilled workers who have been trained here according to the local environment. Losing them would cause a setback in the labour market."
Old May 4th 2004, 12:02 pm
Balushi

I hope they don't enfore this rule... but anyway there are always ways to get around things...! Funny dunno way they make rules in the first place.

Old May 5th 2004, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Helios is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Phillipz,

Thanks for the heads-up! I had to hear it from someone else , as opposed to my company pro!!

Whats the story?? Is this absolutely up to date? I have been working in Dubai for the past 2 months now on a visit visa , waiting for my company to sort my residence , which should come through any day now , after the arrival of my educational certs.

Where does that leave me? Do i have to exit for a month? I'll be damned if im going back to ireland and freezing me nads off after 3 months here!!!!!!!

Cheers
Old May 5th 2004, 6:31 pm

philipz is on a distinguished road

Well the article I pasted came out this month in Gulf News, so I guess that leaves you in a pickle.