British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   New visa rules (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/new-visa-rules-551392/)

smileymiley1980 Jul 26th 2008 8:13 pm

New visa rules

Before anyone says it, i have read gulfnews.com....

The thing is, i dont really understand....

I have got a job in AD and start in sept. My girlfriend is currently looking for a job. She's got a few irons in the fire however if it gets to Sept and she hasnt got a job can she no longer just come to UAE on a visit visa to continue looking?!? Does she have to pay the AED1,000 for a visit visa or is this just for certain nationalities?!?

If she finds a job out there does she have to fly home and back again in order to get a working visa?!?

Eva Jul 26th 2008 8:16 pm

Re: New visa rules

Originally Posted by smileymiley1980 (Post 6613851)
Before anyone says it, i have read gulfnews.com....

The thing is, i dont really understand....

I have got a job in AD and start in sept. My girlfriend is currently looking for a job. She's got a few irons in the fire however if it gets to Sept and she hasnt got a job can she no longer just come to UAE on a visit visa to continue looking?!? Does she have to pay the AED1,000 for a visit visa or is this just for certain nationalities?!?

If she finds a job out there does she have to fly home and back again in order to get a working visa?!?

Sorry, you may have already said but what Passport does your g/friend hold?

smileymiley1980 Jul 27th 2008 9:20 am

british

sorry

arbroath_abroad Jul 27th 2008 9:22 am

then she can come in on a visit visa no worries and upon finding a job, the visit visa will be transferred to a residence visa

i

smileymiley1980 Jul 27th 2008 9:36 am

great so nothing has really changed...only certain people have to pay the AED1,000?

Cheers

MissDemeanor Jul 27th 2008 9:54 am

so the visa run down to oman every 60 days...is that still allowed?
i cant seem to find a yes or a no on it..anyone?

smileymiley1980 Jul 27th 2008 10:06 am

no, from what i read on gulfnews.com the visa runs are not allowed for anyone anymore

MissDemeanor Jul 27th 2008 10:07 am

Originally Posted by smileymiley1980 (Post 6615218)
no, from what i read on gulfnews.com the visa runs are not allowed for anyone anymore

i'll get me coat.

twinkle-star Jul 27th 2008 10:09 am

From what i have read the max is 90 days NO more visa runs ever!
You can extend a 30 day up to 90 days if not applied for beforehand by going back to the UK each time.
You will have to be in the Uk while your husband sponsors you for your residence visa.

If working you can transfer from sponsored visa to work visa if you do not have a sponsored visa you need to be back in the Uk and wait for it to all be sorted before coming out.

Miss D if you have not got your visa sorted I suggest you get it in before the 29th and hope it comes through fastracked before the date on your passport actually expires or you will have to go back to the Uk.

It is a one year ban for going over the 90 days...

This is what I have deduced from all the information available if this is wrong can someone let me know!

jvr20 Jul 27th 2008 10:17 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6615233)
From what i have read the max is 90 days NO more visa runs ever!
You can extend a 30 day up to 90 days if not applied for beforehand by going back to the UK each time.
You will have to be in the Uk while your husband sponsors you for your residence visa.

If working you can transfer from sponsored visa to work visa if you do not have a sponsored visa you need to be back in the Uk and wait for it to all be sorted before coming out.

Miss D if you have not got your visa sorted I suggest you get it in before the 29th and hope it comes through fastracked before the date on your passport actually expires or you will have to go back to the Uk.

It is a one year ban for going over the 90 days...

This is what I have deduced from all the information available if this is wrong can someone let me know!

But the articles refer to people who go to places like Kish, i.e. Indians, Pakistanis and Filipinos... for those who travel visa-free I really can't see them making any big changes.

And even if they did, there was also reference to being allowed to go back to one's home country to pick up a new visa, though really how they will police this new rule is a different issue altogether.

MissDemeanor Jul 27th 2008 10:19 am

oh my god....I am FREAKING OUT.

how do i find out whats right??

twinkle-star Jul 27th 2008 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 6615261)
But the articles refer to people who go to places like Kish, i.e. Indians, Pakistanis and Filipinos... for those who travel visa-free I really can't see them making any big changes.

And even if they did, there was also reference to being allowed to go back to one's home country to pick up a new visa, though really how they will police this new rule is a different issue altogether.

Your passport is stamped at the airport and they only have to check the dates!

Eva Jul 27th 2008 10:32 am

[QUOTE=MissDemeanor;6615266]oh my god....I am FREAKING OUT

Does this help?From The National 24 July:.

Visa runs still allowed
Eugene Harnan

Last Updated: July 24. 2008 9:18PM UAE / July 24. 2008 5:18PM GMT
The 33 nationalities currently exempt from requiring visas before travelling will be largely unaffected and will still be allowed to do “visa runs”.

DUBAI // Officials at the Dubai Naturalisation and Residency Department (DNRD) made further clarifications tonight to new visa rules that will come into effect on Tuesday.

The 33 nationalities currently exempt from requiring visas before travelling will be largely unaffected and will still be allowed to do “visa runs”, in which expatriates without residency visas cross into Oman and then return to renew their visitor visas, officials said.

People from countries that are not exempt from requiring visas before travelling will have to reapply through a registered tourist company.

Entry permits for citizens of the 33 exempt countries can only be renewed for an additional period of 30 days for a cost of Dh620.

A tourist visa for residents from the other countries, such as India, Pakistan and Russia, must be issued through a tourist company or through their friends or relatives currently in the UAE and who can apply on their behalf at any DNRD office.

The tourist visa is valid for 30 days from the date of entry, renewable once, for a period of 30 days at the charge of Dh610 if processed online and Dh620, if submitted at any DNRD office.

Earlier this week, immigration officials pleaded for patience as “glitches” with the new system were ironed out.

twinkle-star Jul 27th 2008 10:43 am

Well that conflicts itself again......:frown:
It still means a visa run every 30 days and apply through a travel agent??
Wonder how much that will cost??:blink:

Eva Jul 27th 2008 10:51 am

Originally Posted by twinkle-star (Post 6615327)
Well that conflicts itself again......:frown:
It still means a visa run every 30 days and apply through a travel agent??
Wonder how much that will cost??:blink:

Yes, apparently there may be charges and 30 day limit-not effective til Tuesday and lets face it a lot can happen in the intervening time in terms of changes!!!!!

That said, the answer to the Visa Run Q for certain Passport holders is

Yes Visa Runs are still possible.