British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   New UK expat to Qatar needs frank fiscal advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/new-uk-expat-qatar-needs-frank-fiscal-advice-693191/)

rachb Nov 11th 2010 5:38 pm

New UK expat to Qatar needs frank fiscal advice

Hi there, my husband is considering a move with his UK based company to Qatar. We (him, me and baby) would be living there in an 18 month gig and his pay would be approx £50,000 (ex benefits) that's UK sterling. I have searched threads but can't find what I want to know and all the info's confusing at best! Is this shit money for a decent standard of living or could we survive on that out there?

Any frank, non bullshit advice welcome! Cheers.

typical Nov 11th 2010 5:43 pm

Re: New UK expat to Qatar needs frank fiscal advice

50k per year, or in total (so ~33k per year)?

Do the benefits include housing, probably the largest expense you'll face?

rachb Nov 11th 2010 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8976011)
50k per year, or in total (so ~33k per year)?

Do the benefits include housing, probably the largest expense you'll face?

Yes, 50K ex deductions, so approx 33, and let's assume no to housing at the moment (we're not sure of the full package yet, I'm just theorising to see if it's worth the move)

Cheers.

typical Nov 11th 2010 5:54 pm

Sorry, I meant: would the gross salary over the 18 months be 75k (50k x 1.5 years) or 50k?

What deductions are you expecting?

Would the 18 months include a full UK financial year or not?

I've heard Doha rental prices are pretty high - maybe that's changed now, but from previous posts 20k+ per year for a one bedroom flat hasn't been unheard of. Maybe someone who is there can pitch in.

rachb Nov 11th 2010 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8976029)
Sorry, I meant: would the gross salary over the 18 months be 75k (50k x 1.5 years) or 50k?

What deductions are you expecting?

Would the 18 months include a full UK financial year or not?

I've heard Doha rental prices are pretty high - maybe that's changed now, but from previous posts 20k+ per year for a one bedroom flat hasn't been unheard of. Maybe someone who is there can pitch in.

The gross salary would be per annum, so working on the assumption it'd be £75K for the time of the contract and yes, a full UK tax year would be included,( it's due to start beginning of April next year and end Sept/Oct the following year.) I don't really know what deductions would be applicable, I'm presuming UK tax and NI??

typical Nov 11th 2010 6:19 pm

UK tax may or may not be payable. You should definitely talk to someone about that...

rachb Nov 11th 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8976060)
UK tax may or may not be payable. You should definitely talk to someone about that...

Yes, I have sadi that we should gett hat checked out with someone who does international accounting type stuff. And thank you for your inpiut, so far, I appreciate all help at the mo!

Millhouse Nov 12th 2010 3:25 am

Originally Posted by rachb (Post 8976108)
Yes, I have sadi that we should gett hat checked out with someone who does international accounting type stuff. And thank you for your inpiut, so far, I appreciate all help at the mo!

I'd say it is not enough regardless of if you are taxed or not.

typical Nov 12th 2010 3:37 am

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8976990)
I'd say it is not enough regardless of if you are taxed or not.

That was about my feeling - it'd be pretty ok if housing were also included separately though, I thought, and even more so if they could avoid UK tax.

Meow Nov 13th 2010 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by rachb (Post 8976038)
The gross salary would be per annum, so working on the assumption it'd be £75K for the time of the contract and yes, a full UK tax year would be included,( it's due to start beginning of April next year and end Sept/Oct the following year.) I don't really know what deductions would be applicable, I'm presuming UK tax and NI??

If you become UK non-resident in April then the full tax year (6th April 2011to 5th April 2010) will not be liable to UK Income tax. if you then return to the UK in Sept/Oct of the next tax year then the period from 6th April 2012 onward would be taxable.