Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New thing needed for wife's visa

New thing needed for wife's visa

Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of
Angry New thing needed for wife's visa

Ok boys and girls - Here's the latest: It took my husband 7 months to get his visa; add another 2 or 3 weeks for his labour card (this having lived in AD for 2.5 years and then transferring to Dubai 11 months ago!!).

Now he has his labour card, we can finally apply for my visa which we wanted to do asap (my poor maid has been waiting in the Philippines for 9 months now and is very hungry ). So we told the company to pay the extra whatever it is to get an emergency visa for me - they said they couldn't process it UNTIL MY DH HAS AN E GATE CARD

Does anyone know if this is right or not?? Is it anything new?? I am so cheesed off, I really and truly feel like packing it all in right now :curse:

Help
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New thing needed for wife's visa

Originally Posted by Smoochy Girl View Post
Ok boys and girls - Here's the latest: It took my husband 7 months to get his visa; add another 2 or 3 weeks for his labour card (this having lived in AD for 2.5 years and then transferring to Dubai 11 months ago!!).

Now he has his labour card, we can finally apply for my visa which we wanted to do asap (my poor maid has been waiting in the Philippines for 9 months now and is very hungry ). So we told the company to pay the extra whatever it is to get an emergency visa for me - they said they couldn't process it UNTIL MY DH HAS AN E GATE CARD

Does anyone know if this is right or not?? Is it anything new?? I am so cheesed off, I really and truly feel like packing it all in right now :curse:

Help
Pretty sure it's true, my husband had to go get his when our visas were being processed. It's relatively quick and painless and a couple of hundred dirham.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about that - but it'll take 10 minutes to get an egate card...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Smoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud ofSmoochy Girl has much to be proud of

Isn't it just weird that he didn't need it for his own and now needs it for mine I'm flummoxed with the way they like to make money out of every bit of paper we need to process - tax-free country indeed :curse:
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:37 am
Account Closed

Isn't it just weird that he didn't need it for his own and now needs it for mine I'm flummoxed with the way they like to make money out of every bit of paper we need to process - tax-free country indeed :curse:
Welcome to Dubai - an administration nightmare!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:37 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

the Egate card is one of the best things to have though, and like others said, it doesn't take long to get one...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh I know the egate card is good to have (we had it in AD); it's just so odd that he needs to have one before he can sponsor me. A little bit like apples and oranges is what I think ....... so I guess it's just for the extra 200 dhs or so that it will cost !!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or WTF is a egate card and what does it do for me?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chris79 View Post
Is it just me or WTF is a egate card and what does it do for me?
It's great - it means that you can skip the passport control queue. You go straight through a small gate by scanning your card in front of it. It then scans your fingerprint and you can go. You can use it at any of the UAE airports. Loads of countries have been using fingerprint and and retina scanning for a while now. The UK hasn't quite got there...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:07 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but other than another money making racket/tax as the OP says what the hell has a husbands e gate card got to do with getting his wifes visa?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rowell View Post
Yes but other than another money making racket/tax as the OP says what the hell has a husbands e gate card got to do with getting his wifes visa?
Diddly!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rowell View Post
It's pointless arguing with the "system" - just get it done lol
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

My point exactly Diddly - just another scam and another lot of waste of time especially since my dude is currently working 20/7 for the next 7 weeks - aaaaargh!
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:26 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

My point exactly Diddly - just another scam and another lot of waste of time especially since my dude is currently working 20/7 for the next 7 weeks - aaaaargh!
although I don't know the reason for the Egate coupled with the visa, I'd hardly call the card a scam as it is something a lot of people have any way and you do actually benifit from having one, so it's not like it's a waste of money as such, merely an inconvenience if you don't have one.
As for the taxfree argument...that applies only to the salary. Nowhere does the UAE government say that all their services are free...in fact I am sure that when you need a license or a permit of some sort in Europe you also have to pay for these services, and that is on top of the tax they take off your salary...
Old Apr 21st 2009, 12:41 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari View Post
although I don't know the reason for the Egate coupled with the visa, I'd hardly call the card a scam as it is something a lot of people have any way and you do actually benifit from having one, so it's not like it's a waste of money as such, merely an inconvenience if you don't have one.
As for the taxfree argument...that applies only to the salary. Nowhere does the UAE government say that all their services are free...in fact I am sure that when you need a license or a permit of some sort in Europe you also have to pay for these services, and that is on top of the tax they take off your salary...
Whether you have an e card or whether you want one or whether its useful doesnt come into needing one for something totally unconnected with it. An alcohol license is useful but not everyone bothers to get one and you dont need one to get a visa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.