Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New rule for Dewa connections...

New rule for Dewa connections...

Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:00 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default New rule for Dewa connections...

Dewa have implemented a new rule and they are actually sticking to it...
You cannot connect to Dewa anymore as long as the final bill from the previous tenant (or landlord) has not been paid for.
So, if you rent a property, make sure that your real estate agent provides you with a copy of the 'paid' stamped final bill, otherwise you will not get connected, unless you fancy paying that bill yourself.
This also applies to new properties where you are the first tenant, as I found out this morning, as there was a 3000 dhs unpaid bill on a new villa.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:17 am
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New rule for Dewa connections...

yep I had to go to dewa in al wasl with the landlord and the estate agent (to be fair he didn't have to come but he wanted to make sure it was all sorted) and they had to pay the leftover balance from the last tenant.

Still didn't manage to get the power turned on for three days though. We had to move in using candles... after a tantrum the power finally came on two hours later...

a sign of how many people bail??
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:22 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lullabelle
yep I had to go to dewa in al wasl with the landlord and the estate agent (to be fair he didn't have to come but he wanted to make sure it was all sorted) and they had to pay the leftover balance from the last tenant.

Still didn't manage to get the power turned on for three days though. We had to move in using candles... after a tantrum the power finally came on two hours later...

a sign of how many people bail??
that's what worries me, the connection I wanted to do today is for people that have already moved into the villa...I am sure that they will be disconnected at one point which will be a complete pain in the ass...

I can understand why dewa is doing this now, I am sure they have loads of unpaid final bills, but like I said, I am wondering how they are going to manage disconnecting the old and connection the new without problems...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

I was never able to get any sort of bill out of DEWA, let alone a final one. The flat was registered at DEWA with some random off plan buyer from Iranand without a letter from the pretty much mythical chap you couldn't get it transferred. Every six months or so they simply cut me off and i had to go and pay the balance then wait for it to be turned back on. No danger of a final bill when i moved out, all I could do apparently was pay as much as was outstanding. Of course no final bill meant no deposit back from my landlord who magically got one paid it then lost all the paper work and produced bouncy cheques for the nominal difference.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:49 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
Dewa have implemented a new rule and they are actually sticking to it...
You cannot connect to Dewa anymore as long as the final bill from the previous tenant (or landlord) has not been paid for.
So, if you rent a property, make sure that your real estate agent provides you with a copy of the 'paid' stamped final bill, otherwise you will not get connected, unless you fancy paying that bill yourself.
This also applies to new properties where you are the first tenant, as I found out this morning, as there was a 3000 dhs unpaid bill on a new villa.
When my old company paid for some of my housing I had to get an NOC from them to pay the final bill - otehrwise I couldn't pay them.

How backwards is that?
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

I think it's that obtuseness when faced with 'but i want to pay you money" thatI found oddest about the Middle East. The only thing I had more fun with than DEWA was trying to get the police to change a damage report where they'd marked up the wrong corner of the car. No cannot - but you can see where the dent is - no cannot - but you can.....
Old Jan 31st 2011, 7:58 am
hmmmm...nice

Originally Posted by Spugsy
When my old company paid for some of my housing I had to get an NOC from them to pay the final bill - otehrwise I couldn't pay them.

How backwards is that?
maybe it was more like a power of attorney letter?...I need to get those to pay bills that are in the name of a company...but yes, you'd think they would just take the money, what does it matter who pays it...
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:50 pm

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy

How backwards is that?
Yes I moved out of JBR in December and even had to get one from Dubai Properties for both DEWA and the district cooling Empower