Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Member (Moving to Dubai)

New Member (Moving to Dubai)

Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:57 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New Member (Moving to Dubai)

Originally Posted by simwaz
What sort of property would £400 grand get you in Dubai ? bearing in mind we have 2 young children and have a 4 bedroom house at the mo! We would like the same (or better) , would it be best to live on an expat village or somewhere closer to town ? Si
£400,000 is about 3 mil. AED.. if im not mistaken.. Doubt you'd be able to buy a 4 bedroom house over here in Dubai for that amount
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zamboooka
£400,000 is about 3 mil. AED.. if im not mistaken.. Doubt you'd be able to buy a 4 bedroom house over here in Dubai for that amount
yeah, doubt you'd get 4 bed for that sort of money...not sure how much sprins 3 beds are now??

and you should be aware that you can't buy property in every area in dubai...

MM, xx
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:27 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
yeah, doubt you'd get 4 bed for that sort of money...not sure how much sprins 3 beds are now??

and you should be aware that you can't buy property in every area in dubai...

MM, xx

"sprins"?
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zamboooka
"sprins"?
hahahahahaha...it's that new well known expat community formerly called springs...

MM, xx
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:41 am
Viva la revolucion..

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
hahahahahaha...it's that new well known expat community formerly called springs...

MM, xx
ahh.. i've heard of it..
a 3 bed there's about 2.5 mil aed.. but the guy isnt looking for anything less than a 4 bed.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 2:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Did the OP get scared away or something?

And what's wrong with people introducing themselves before asking for help and then to never be seen again....
Old Jan 28th 2008, 9:46 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Did the OP get scared away or something?

And what's wrong with people introducing themselves before asking for help and then to never be seen again....
she was online yesterday...maybe overwhelmed by the amount of information given...
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

catkari is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by angelynv
Money transfers can be taxed, however there are several methods in transferring the currency back to the UK tax free - Google is your best friend Easily researched.
can i have another hint please? did a check on Google and came up with nothing.. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Try opening a paypal account! That way, when you get a bank account over here, you can transfer the money! They'll charge, but the exchange rates they offer are usually very fair.

Good luck on your move!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Lee100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all - my name is Lee

I am an architect looking at the possibility of moving out to Dubai for a few years. I am an associate with a practice here in the UK.

I have signed up with a couple of agencies here but just putting feelers out. They have given me an indication of an approx salary being £55 000 just wondering if this is a realistic expectation?

I would appreciate any advice

Many thanks

Lee
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee100

I have signed up with a couple of agencies here but just putting feelers out. They have given me an indication of an approx salary being £55 000 just wondering if this is a realistic expectation?
would depend on the whole package wouldn't it, like housing allowance, medical insurance, flights back to UK, and if you've a family, school allowance etc.

and welcome to BE
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Lee100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Apologies for crashing into this thread.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:24 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee100
Thanks

Apologies for crashing into this thread.
maybe do a search on the forum, have a look at the Wiki at the top of the page...and then if you still have questions, start your own thread with those specific question...there is a lot of very recent info here....
good luck
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Francesca McAuliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thanks to everyone who gave me their invaluable advise to my last mail. Things have moved quite quickly since I last got in touch. My fiance Ashley has received an offer and as you will remember he is a commercial Manager for a construction company and has been offered a position for six weeks time, however, we are keen to find out if it is a good offer or he should be asking for allot more. The offer is as follows:

Basic salary: AED 360,000 / annum
Accomodation & amenities: AED 150,000 / annum
Vehicle & running costs: AED 30,000 / annum
Fuel costs: AED 6,000 / annum
Mobile phone charges: AED 8,000 / annum
Air flights: AED 10,000 / annum (one trip for both of us)
Medical insurance: All medical insurance for both of us excluding non emergency dental.
Annual leave: Four calendar weeks holiday

In addition:

1. Our flights over to dubai (economy unfortunately!!!)
2. Accomodation in serviced apartment for four weeks (accomodation part of salary will not be paid in that time)
3. Hire car for four weeks (vehicle & travel allowance part of salary will not be paid for that time)
4. Shipping costs of personal effects
5. Settlement cash allowance of AED 5,000 to assist in establishing ourselves
6. Work permit & residence Visa will be paid for both of us by the company.

Be honest and frank, is this any good? The last thing we want to do is get over there and not be able to afford a nice place to live. I personally am very fussy and need my home comforts. Don't mind what country I am in, as long as my home is nice. Is there anything else that you think we should be asking for at this stage?

I will wait to hear before we get back to them about the offer. I appreciate that it is now your weekend, but would really appreciate a response.

Thanks again for your help. We would be lost without this advise!!!!

Francesca
Old Feb 1st 2008, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Francesca McAuliffe
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who gave me their invaluable advise to my last mail. Things have moved quite quickly since I last got in touch. My fiance Ashley has received an offer and as you will remember he is a commercial Manager for a construction company and has been offered a position for six weeks time, however, we are keen to find out if it is a good offer or he should be asking for allot more. The offer is as follows:

Basic salary: AED 360,000 / annum
Accomodation & amenities: AED 150,000 / annum
Vehicle & running costs: AED 30,000 / annum
Fuel costs: AED 6,000 / annum
Mobile phone charges: AED 8,000 / annum
Air flights: AED 10,000 / annum (one trip for both of us)
Medical insurance: All medical insurance for both of us excluding non emergency dental.
Annual leave: Four calendar weeks holiday

In addition:

1. Our flights over to dubai (economy unfortunately!!!)
2. Accomodation in serviced apartment for four weeks (accomodation part of salary will not be paid in that time)
3. Hire car for four weeks (vehicle & travel allowance part of salary will not be paid for that time)
4. Shipping costs of personal effects
5. Settlement cash allowance of AED 5,000 to assist in establishing ourselves
6. Work permit & residence Visa will be paid for both of us by the company.

Be honest and frank, is this any good? The last thing we want to do is get over there and not be able to afford a nice place to live. I personally am very fussy and need my home comforts. Don't mind what country I am in, as long as my home is nice. Is there anything else that you think we should be asking for at this stage?

I will wait to hear before we get back to them about the offer. I appreciate that it is now your weekend, but would really appreciate a response.

Thanks again for your help. We would be lost without this advise!!!!

Francesca
good news francesca!!! package looks pretty good (you haven't got kids, right?)...whether the accomodation allowance is ok depends on what you are looking for...

MM, xx
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Francesca McAuliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much for your help MM, your a star!!! We do not have kids, but are going to ask for the accomodation package to be increased anyway. I will let you know how we get on. What the weather like out there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.