Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Member (Moving to Dubai)

New Member (Moving to Dubai)

Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member (Moving to Dubai)

Originally Posted by Francesca McAuliffe
Thanks so much for your help MM, your a star!!! We do not have kids, but are going to ask for the accomodation package to be increased anyway. I will let you know how we get on. What the weather like out there?
weather is rubbish...huge sandstorms at the moment...can't wait for the sun to return...

MM, xx
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

Snowing in the UK and 2 degrees
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:07 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by axlenoyl
Snowing in the UK and 2 degrees
so I hear but you have the luxury of central heating
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

You mean your air conditioning systems are not heat pumps? You will be telling me hot water is by solar only next? Went to Turkey last year and didnt realise that, you had to wait for 2 hrs sunshine before you could have a warm shower and it was cold.See you all soon.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

not sure about everyone elses AC but mine definately isn't we have tried it a couple of times with no luck. No solar energy out here which does surprise me. Apparently it is too expensive to set up
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

One of the cheapest forms of green energy and one of the only ones with a reasonable pay back, but it of course depends who owns the utility company!
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 8:02 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by lookinatdubai
One of the cheapest forms of green energy and one of the only ones with a reasonable pay back, but it of course depends who owns the utility company!
I agree!! there was a shop on the SZR who sold solar energy panels but it closed down. I remember it was discussed on the radio some time back as to why it isn't an option here but I can't remember the outcome! maybe it is TOO hot in the summer
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I agree!! there was a shop on the SZR who sold solar energy panels but it closed down. I remember it was discussed on the radio some time back as to why it isn't an option here but I can't remember the outcome! maybe it is TOO hot in the summer
prob takes too long to install... oh and the energy companies out there wouldn't like it...

but solar panels are fairly robust nowadays... all the BP garages here use them for power... apparently one day of UK sun, is enough to run the garage for two weeks
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Francesca McAuliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

We have been looking at accomodation in Dubai and looks like we will have around AED180,000. We ideally want a villa but the only places coming up are Arabian Ranches. Is anyone familliar with these villas. I take from the amount of them available that there is something wrong with them or they are in a bad area? I really do not know where I am supposed to be looking and the good and bad areas.

We want a villa as will probably be bringing two cats but would prefer a really nice appartment as apose to grotty villa if its all we can afford. I do not want to be in the marina, as it looks really built up with lots of tower blocks. I am affraid of moving to Dubai and being stuck on the 50th floor (slight exageration) of a tower block. We are looking for a nice area, close to malls, restaurants and local amenities but not smack bang in the middle of it all. Am I asking the earth???

Please get back to me with some areas and what they are like. Also is it usual that accomodation is completely unfurnished and has to be furnished bythe tenant?

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks again, would be completely lost without your help.

Francesca xx
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:25 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

We have been looking at accomodation in Dubai and looks like we will have around AED180,000. We ideally want a villa but the only places coming up are Arabian Ranches. Is anyone familliar with these villas. I take from the amount of them available that there is something wrong with them or they are in a bad area? I really do not know where I am supposed to be looking and the good and bad areas.

We want a villa as will probably be bringing two cats but would prefer a really nice appartment as apose to grotty villa if its all we can afford. I do not want to be in the marina, as it looks really built up with lots of tower blocks. I am affraid of moving to Dubai and being stuck on the 50th floor (slight exageration) of a tower block. We are looking for a nice area, close to malls, restaurants and local amenities but not smack bang in the middle of it all. Am I asking the earth???

Please get back to me with some areas and what they are like. Also is it usual that accomodation is completely unfurnished and has to be furnished bythe tenant?

Francesca xx
maybe it's best to come here and stay in furnished accomodation for a couple of weeks and just take your time getting to know Dubai, get familiar with the different areas....it's very had to give advise on these things...I wouldn't live in AR, but I quite like the Marina...
Thing to remember is the traffic so try and live as close as possible to where you work...
There are lots more areas with villas apart from AR by the way...and there is nothing wrong with AR villas as far as I know.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by MataHari
maybe it's best to come here and stay in furnished accomodation for a couple of weeks and just take your time getting to know Dubai, get familiar with the different areas....it's very had to give advise on these things...I wouldn't live in AR, but I quite like the Marina...
Thing to remember is the traffic so try and live as close as possible to where you work...
There are lots more areas with villas apart from AR by the way...and there is nothing wrong with AR villas as far as I know.
The villas on the Ranches are really nice, I have a couple of friends living up there. I think it is the location that puts people off and the roundabout! Northernlad lives up there so it might be better to speak to him for his thoughts. The houses are actually the same as the ones on the Springs/Meadows, same developer. Where will your husband be working?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

If you want a low rise apartment try the Greens. Very close to mall of the Emirates.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:06 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Francesca xx
We live in Arabian Ranches, currently in townhouse but probably going to buy a villa in Saheel.

The roundabout is a pain, but you actually become immune to it eventually, and plan accordingly for getting to work/nights out.

We have 2 cats and it is perfect for them - they can be let out on an evening to roam and are relatively safe.

I am not sure why there are a lot of villas available up here, we were astounded at the amount of empty Saheel villas - most likely greedy landlords asking ridiculous rents or greedy owners trying to sell them for way more than they are worth (can you see a pattern here?).

I'm not a fan of the marina, if you buy a place with any land next to it, you can almost guarantee it will be home to another tower block within a few months. And we like a garden for bbqs.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

[ And we like a garden for bbqs.[/QUOTE]

Is that an invite from one northern lad to another
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

axlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant futureaxlenoyl has a brilliant future

43 logged on at the minute could be some barbecue!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.