British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   New medical tests for residency (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/new-medical-tests-residency-551008/)

Grace O Malley Jul 24th 2008 3:50 pm

New medical tests for residency

Apparently there are new compulsory medical tests to obtain residency visas, does anyone know what the tests are or when this new law comes in??

Marco78 Jul 24th 2008 3:57 pm

Re: New medical tests for residency

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6606308)
Apparently there are new compulsory medical tests to obtain residency visas, does anyone know what the tests are or when this new law comes in??

to be able to get my work permit, my employer asked me the following tests:

1) blood analysis (including HIV)
2) hearing
3) vision
4) urine analysis
5) stool analysis
6) X rays

MacScot Jul 24th 2008 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6606308)

My friend changed job titles and has been asked to renew his resident visa. He is required to do another blood test, which includes the usual HIV test but also a new test for syphilis.

nottmbantam Jul 24th 2008 5:54 pm

I'm in KSA, so the regulations might be different to you guys in UAE, but the tests are as Marco lists. In fact, I had to do it twice. Once in the UK to get the visa, then again when I got out here.

Grace O Malley Jul 24th 2008 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6606329)
My friend changed job titles and has been asked to renew his resident visa. He is required to do another blood test, which includes the usual HIV test but also a new test for syphilis.

So it is true then, whats that all about then?

MacScot Jul 24th 2008 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6606793)

I don't know...it's just a new requirement.

Grace O Malley Jul 24th 2008 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by MacScot (Post 6606821)
I don't know...it's just a new requirement.

What next?

Confucius Jul 24th 2008 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6606828)
What next?

The times are changing and the UAE is also keeping with progress...
Last year, in another country, I had to perform a full medical checkup (once a year compulsory as the residency is only valid for a year) to get my residency...

MacScot Jul 24th 2008 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6606793)

I presumed you were alluding to the syphilis test?
Update...

According to what's happening in Australia syphilis is on the increase with new cases doubling every 6 months. See article below:

"Syphilis is a sexually transmissible infection (STI) caused by a bacterium called Treponema pallidum and can affect both men and women. Since 2002, the number of people with infectious syphilis in Victoria has increased steadily, with the rate of new diagnoses doubling every six to nine months. Almost all recent cases have been in gay men. Blood tests will show if a person has the infection.

You can catch syphilis through oral, vaginal or anal sex with a person who has the infection. It is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact with an infected area. Syphilis is highly contagious when the sore or rash is present. Pregnant women who have syphilis can pass on the infection to their unborn baby. It can also be transmitted by blood transfusion"

I suppose the UAE authorities do not want this infection entering or spreading in the country.. so its a preventative measure.

http://news.oneindia.in/2008/07/01/u...214886803.html

Nav_72 Jul 24th 2008 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Marco78 (Post 6606319)
to be able to get my work permit, my employer asked me the following tests:

1) blood analysis (including HIV)
2) hearing
3) vision
4) urine analysis
5) stool analysis
6) X rays

Stool analysis - o crap - litterally........ darn-it thats rubber gloves time - I hate rubber gloves..... :curse::curse:

Eeyore Jul 24th 2008 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Nav_72 (Post 6607026)
darn-it thats rubber gloves time - I hate rubber gloves..... :curse::curse:

Erm - you don't think they actually extract it from your arse using their hands, do you?

alexalexa Jul 25th 2008 2:59 am

do we have to do those tests in our home country or once we arrived in the UAE?

does that mean my husband can't start to work right away since the labour card will only be issued after completion of those tests?

Eeyore Jul 25th 2008 5:51 am

The UAE does its medical test after you arrive. The way most companies here operate is that you'll start work as soon as you get here (some people have been met at the plane and taken straight to the office) and at some point in the first week you'll be told to go for your medical test.

AFAIK the UAE test is still just a blood sample and chest X-ray, but I guess they're now testing the blood for syphilis as well as HIV/AIDS and whatever else they normally look for.

Fairydust Jul 25th 2008 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 6608695)
The UAE does its medical test after you arrive. The way most companies here operate is that you'll start work as soon as you get here (some people have been met at the plane and taken straight to the office) and at some point in the first week you'll be told to go for your medical test.

AFAIK the UAE test is still just a blood sample and chest X-ray, but I guess they're now testing the blood for syphilis as well as HIV/AIDS and whatever else they normally look for.

Ive never had a chest xray - is this only for employment and not resident visas?

admon Jul 25th 2008 8:23 am

could anyone tell me what you could possible find in a stool sample that would be medically of interest that you couldn't find in a urine or blood sample?

apart from what you had for lunch of course...