British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   new job in Abu dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/new-job-abu-dhabi-508831/)

jeffas the joiner Jan 24th 2008 5:34 pm

new job in Abu dhabi

Hi

Great news, just been told I've got a new job in Abu dhabi working near shahoma.

Can expats help with the following please?

A decent place to live? (Places to avoid) I've to find my own place, there is an allowance, (amount unknown). How much buys what? Furniture, Utilities etc?

Public Transport to and from locations?

Social aspects. Food, eating out, sports

Getting started and where to start. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeffasthejoiner

Sam FTQ Jan 25th 2008 4:31 am

Re: new job in Abu dhabi

Originally Posted by jeffas the joiner (Post 5834351)
Hi

Great news, just been told I've got a new job in Abu dhabi working near shahoma.

A decent place to live? (Places to avoid) I've to find my own place, there is an allowance, (amount unknown). How much buys what? Furniture, Utilities etc?

Thanks

Jeffasthejoiner

Hi Jeff,

I don't know Abu Dhabi that well, and am looking for somewhere to live myself (I have been in a hotel for what seems like years!) but most of Abu Dhabi seems quite nice. There are others on here that can give you a more detailed picture.

We have Ikea here, so you are sorted for cheap furniture. I personally can't abide Ikea, so plan to buy my furniture from the Habitat which is about 1.5 hours drive away, apparently.

There is no public transport system, but the cabs are really cheap.

Great restaurants; don't know about sport.

Good luck!

Sam x

Madam Medusa Jan 25th 2008 5:00 am

Hi

Thanks

Jeffasthejoiner

hi jeffas, welcome to the board! Do a search, you'll find loads of info on here...

rents are very high even in AD, so you need to make sure that work will cover it for you - you don't want to be supplementing rent from your income if you can help it. SYB and Annacarna (if she reappears!) are the best people to advise you on where to live etc...

public transport is a non starter, so you will need a car...or use taxis, which are cheap, especially compared with the uk...

furniture ranges from dirt cheap to dead expensive...depends what you are looking for and your budget...cost of living in general is rising, but lots of things are cheaper than in the uk...

MM, xx

AdamADR Jan 25th 2008 9:08 am

Rent in Abu Dhabi isn't too high. Also the longer you stay the lower it becomes as there are regulations for that.

I have a candidate who's been in Abu Dhabi for 7 years and pays just under $1,000 for a 2 bedroom accommodation.

There's a misconception it's very expensive. It's not..

Grace O Malley Jan 25th 2008 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by AdamADR (Post 5837233)
Rent in Abu Dhabi isn't too high. Also the longer you stay the lower it becomes as there are regulations for that.

I have a candidate who's been in Abu Dhabi for 7 years and pays just under $1,000 for a 2 bedroom accommodation.

Ah have you tried to get an appt lately?

If you rented your appt more than 18 months ago then you may well be paying the amount your candidate is paying for an older 2 bed appt but i can assure you if you try and get a 2 bed appt at the mo you will pay 60-70 for an older one and up to 120 for a new one, if u are lucky

AD is expensive

Grace O Malley Jan 25th 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5836729)
hi jeffas, welcome to the board! Do a search, you'll find loads of info on here...

rents are very high even in AD, so you need to make sure that work will cover it for you - you don't want to be supplementing rent from your income if you can help it. SYB and Annacarna (if she reappears!) are the best people to advise you on where to live etc...

public transport is a non starter, so you will need a car...or use taxis, which are cheap, especially compared with the uk...

furniture ranges from dirt cheap to dead expensive...depends what you are looking for and your budget...cost of living in general is rising, but lots of things are cheaper than in the uk...

MM, xx

I am here doll just soooo busy

AC

Grace O Malley Jan 25th 2008 1:58 pm

Hi

Thanks

Jeffasthejoiner

Congrats on the job! Are you wokrking at the military college, as if u are a lot of the guys car pool from AD

Accom really depends on yr allowance, lots of good furniture stores, but again depends on the budget

All the hotels have decent bars and resturants, get an Abu Dhabi whats on and that can give u lots of info

Heroes bar at the crowne plaza on hamdan street is a guys bar that might be a good place to start

SYB can give u more of a guys opinion on the nite life

AC

Whe

jeffas the joiner Jan 25th 2008 3:32 pm

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I'm sure there will be more questions soon!

Jeffasthejoiner

Eva Jan 25th 2008 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by AdamADR (Post 5837233)

Yeeeeeeesh, thought it was only me who posted sh** @ AD on here!

Grace O Malley Jan 26th 2008 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 5839325)
Yeeeeeeesh, thought it was only me who posted sh** @ AD on here!

Ha ha

No u dont Eva!

I know someone who does tho;):curse:

Inselaffen Jan 26th 2008 9:19 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5841023)
Ha ha

No u dont Eva!

yeh but SYB hasnt been posting much recently :p

Grace O Malley Jan 26th 2008 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5841223)
yeh but SYB hasnt been posting much recently :p

ooohhhh

shit list. shit list

big shit list:rofl:

Inselaffen Jan 26th 2008 9:43 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5841228)
ooohhhh

shit list. shit list

big shit list:rofl:

dont worry! I have my very own section on that list :)

Madam Medusa Jan 26th 2008 10:25 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 5841023)
Ha ha

No u dont Eva!

ohhh AC...giz a clue ;)

MM, xx

Grace O Malley Jan 26th 2008 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 5841355)
ohhh AC...giz a clue ;)

MM, xx

full of:)