Reload this Page >

new job in Abu dhabi

new job in Abu dhabi

Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

jeffas the joiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new job in Abu dhabi

Hi

Great news, just been told I've got a new job in Abu dhabi working near shahoma.

Can expats help with the following please?

A decent place to live? (Places to avoid) I've to find my own place, there is an allowance, (amount unknown). How much buys what? Furniture, Utilities etc?

Public Transport to and from locations?

Social aspects. Food, eating out, sports

Getting started and where to start. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeffasthejoiner
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:31 am
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new job in Abu dhabi

Originally Posted by jeffas the joiner
Hi

Great news, just been told I've got a new job in Abu dhabi working near shahoma.

A decent place to live? (Places to avoid) I've to find my own place, there is an allowance, (amount unknown). How much buys what? Furniture, Utilities etc?

Thanks

Jeffasthejoiner
Hi Jeff,

I don't know Abu Dhabi that well, and am looking for somewhere to live myself (I have been in a hotel for what seems like years!) but most of Abu Dhabi seems quite nice. There are others on here that can give you a more detailed picture.

We have Ikea here, so you are sorted for cheap furniture. I personally can't abide Ikea, so plan to buy my furniture from the Habitat which is about 1.5 hours drive away, apparently.

There is no public transport system, but the cabs are really cheap.

Great restaurants; don't know about sport.

Good luck!

Sam x
Old Jan 25th 2008, 5:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Jeffasthejoiner
hi jeffas, welcome to the board! Do a search, you'll find loads of info on here...

rents are very high even in AD, so you need to make sure that work will cover it for you - you don't want to be supplementing rent from your income if you can help it. SYB and Annacarna (if she reappears!) are the best people to advise you on where to live etc...

public transport is a non starter, so you will need a car...or use taxis, which are cheap, especially compared with the uk...

furniture ranges from dirt cheap to dead expensive...depends what you are looking for and your budget...cost of living in general is rising, but lots of things are cheaper than in the uk...

MM, xx
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:08 am
Just Joined

AdamADR is an unknown quantity at this point

Rent in Abu Dhabi isn't too high. Also the longer you stay the lower it becomes as there are regulations for that.

I have a candidate who's been in Abu Dhabi for 7 years and pays just under $1,000 for a 2 bedroom accommodation.

There's a misconception it's very expensive. It's not..
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamADR
Rent in Abu Dhabi isn't too high. Also the longer you stay the lower it becomes as there are regulations for that.

I have a candidate who's been in Abu Dhabi for 7 years and pays just under $1,000 for a 2 bedroom accommodation.

Ah have you tried to get an appt lately?

If you rented your appt more than 18 months ago then you may well be paying the amount your candidate is paying for an older 2 bed appt but i can assure you if you try and get a 2 bed appt at the mo you will pay 60-70 for an older one and up to 120 for a new one, if u are lucky

AD is expensive
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
hi jeffas, welcome to the board! Do a search, you'll find loads of info on here...

rents are very high even in AD, so you need to make sure that work will cover it for you - you don't want to be supplementing rent from your income if you can help it. SYB and Annacarna (if she reappears!) are the best people to advise you on where to live etc...

public transport is a non starter, so you will need a car...or use taxis, which are cheap, especially compared with the uk...

furniture ranges from dirt cheap to dead expensive...depends what you are looking for and your budget...cost of living in general is rising, but lots of things are cheaper than in the uk...

MM, xx

I am here doll just soooo busy

AC
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Thanks

Jeffasthejoiner
Congrats on the job! Are you wokrking at the military college, as if u are a lot of the guys car pool from AD

Accom really depends on yr allowance, lots of good furniture stores, but again depends on the budget

All the hotels have decent bars and resturants, get an Abu Dhabi whats on and that can give u lots of info

Heroes bar at the crowne plaza on hamdan street is a guys bar that might be a good place to start

SYB can give u more of a guys opinion on the nite life

AC

Whe
Old Jan 25th 2008, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

jeffas the joiner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I'm sure there will be more questions soon!

Jeffasthejoiner
Old Jan 25th 2008, 7:40 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdamADR

Yeeeeeeesh, thought it was only me who posted sh** @ AD on here!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eva
Yeeeeeeesh, thought it was only me who posted sh** @ AD on here!
Ha ha

No u dont Eva!

I know someone who does tho:curse:
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annacarna
Ha ha

No u dont Eva!

yeh but SYB hasnt been posting much recently
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
yeh but SYB hasnt been posting much recently
ooohhhh

shit list. shit list

big shit list
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

ooohhhh

shit list. shit list

big shit list
dont worry! I have my very own section on that list
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha

No u dont Eva!

ohhh AC...giz a clue

MM, xx
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
ohhh AC...giz a clue

MM, xx
full of

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.