Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Graduate from a Univeristy - now fresh Expat, questions about Khobar, Saudi

New Graduate from a Univeristy - now fresh Expat, questions about Khobar, Saudi

Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

siriusno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Graduate from a Univeristy - now fresh Expat, questions about Khobar, Saudi

Hi everyone,

First of all let me state that I am an American, not British but I found this site to be the largest expat community around so I figured it would be a good place to post my questions.

I recently just graduated from a University here in the United States with degrees in Electrical Engineering and Mathematics.

As you can probably tell I am quite young (early 20s)

I was hired by a German Company that works in Al-Khobar, Saudi.

I have a few questions:

1) Being a Non-White American (pakistani ethnicity) that only speaks english, can I expect any forms of discrimination when I am there?

2) Quality of life in Khobar, mingling etc.. What can I expect being a fairly active athletic kind of guy.

3) I assume I will be living in a Compound, what can I expect, people living there etc..?

4) Any other tips and tricks for a Brand new expat would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Graduate from a Univeristy - now fresh Expat, questions about Khobar, Saudi

1) There will be forms of discrimination, the Saudis look down on everyone. Also some of the white expats who have been there for some time think they are living in the days of the Raj.

2) Khobar is ok (better than Riyadh at least) It is essential that you get a multi-entry visa so you can bomb across to Bahrain on a regular basis. There are sports clubs amongst the expat community, you just need to make the effort. Lots of Americans there with Aramco so you should have no problem making contacts.

3) Depends on the compound. Some of the bachelor compounds I have stayed on were like open prisons, easy to go stir crazy. A lot of them have bars, and I know of one that used to have African whores shipped in every Friday night.

4) The main tip is if you have a choice, spend as much of your free time in Bahrain.
Old May 8th 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

zak1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: New Graduate from a Univeristy - now fresh Expat, questions about Khobar, Saudi

Originally Posted by siriusno
Hi everyone,

First of all let me state that I am an American, not British but I found this site to be the largest expat community around so I figured it would be a good place to post my questions.

I recently just graduated from a University here in the United States with degrees in Electrical Engineering and Mathematics.

As you can probably tell I am quite young (early 20s)

I was hired by a German Company that works in Al-Khobar, Saudi.

I have a few questions:

1) Being a Non-White American (pakistani ethnicity) that only speaks english, can I expect any forms of discrimination when I am there?

2) Quality of life in Khobar, mingling etc.. What can I expect being a fairly active athletic kind of guy.

3) I assume I will be living in a Compound, what can I expect, people living there etc..?

4) Any other tips and tricks for a Brand new expat would be helpful.

Thanks!
Hi Siriusno,

I am a British citizen of Pakistani origins I am also moving to Al-Khobar next week. I have previously worked in Saudi for 5 years from'99-'04. Al-Khobar is probably the best place to be in Saudi. A multiple exit/entry visa will certainly be good if you can get it to enable you to go across to Bahrain on the weekends. Although natives are hostile towards foreigners, I have to say that I was very well treated in my 5 years there, infact I got a lot of respect and trust factor from them when they dealt with me. Like in any place, you always get a mix bag of good and bad in all societies. Do drop me an email on [email protected], we can meet up some time.