New to the forum

Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:36 am
Just Joined

jonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nice
Default New to the forum

Hi all

Is there a forum or a place for new members to post with all the FAQ about moving to and working in the Middle East.

I dont want to clag up the discussion forum with all my questions, which have probably been posted a million times.

i am considering moving but im in the very early fact finding stages. I may actually be 12 to 18 months from a move.

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the forum

hi jonjon, welcome!! take a look at wiki at the top of the forum, and do a search, it is highly likely that many of your questions will have already been covered...

but of course, feel free to ask anything that you can't find on here and i'm sure we'll all try to help...!

MM, xx
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:06 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
hi jonjon, welcome!! take a look at wiki at the top of the forum, and do a search, it is highly likely that many of your questions will have already been covered...

but of course, feel free to ask anything that you can't find on here and i'm sure we'll all try to help...!

MM, xx
that's if the search function has been fixed... I tried it over the weekend to find something and it was knackered... it claimed the word Dubai had been mentioned only 9 times on this site... ever....

If it doesn't work you can use google to search within the site too...
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:15 am
Just Joined

jonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nicejonjon08 is just really nice

Thanks a lot

I haven't used a chat forum for years

The last one I used was for the local clubbing scene.

It was never used on a monday or a tuesday because every one was still hung over from the antics at the weekend.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonjon08
Thanks a lot

I haven't used a chat forum for years

The last one I used was for the local clubbing scene.

It was never used on a monday or a tuesday because every one was still hung over from the antics at the weekend.
hahahaha...this one is usually a lot quieter on a friday and saturday...!

MM, xx
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:19 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

another Scouser!! welcome
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
who are the other scousers...??

MM, xx
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
who are the other scousers...??

MM, xx
Twinkle and Buzz Lightyear
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Twinkle and Buzz Lightyear
oh yeah, buzz...twinkle, hmmm, i still doubt her scouse credentials, lol...

MM, xx
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:07 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Scouser ?

In my early years (50s and 60s)... we used to call Liverpudlians "Wacks" as in the old joke below.

Two Irishmen, A Scotsman, a Liverpudlian and a Jamaican were working on a construction site in Liverpool. The Brits used to always tease and annoy the Jamaican who, one day, went to the boss to complain. The boss came out and shouted at his men "Hey, Mick, Mac, Paddy, Wack ..leave the wog alone" !! Though no longer politically correct.

Is Wack or Wacker still used today in Liverpool jonjon08 ?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:11 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
that's if the search function has been fixed... I tried it over the weekend to find something and it was knackered... it claimed the word Dubai had been mentioned only 9 times on this site... ever....

If it doesn't work you can use google to search within the site too...
It got fixed yesterday, but seems a bit buggered again, best way to search is through google -
"www.britishexpats.com: search term here" and it'll search this site, won't have the advanced search though...

But the wiki is the best place to start
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MacScot
Scouser ?

In my early years (50s and 60s)... we used to call Liverpudlians "Wacks" as in the old joke below.

Two Irishmen, A Scotsman, a Liverpudlian and a Jamaican were working on a construction site in Liverpool. The Brits used to always tease and annoy the Jamaican who, one day, went to the boss to complain. The boss came out and shouted at his men "Hey, Mick, Mac, Paddy, Wack ..leave the wog alone" !! Though no longer politically correct.

Is Wack or Wacker still used today in Liverpool jonjon08 ?

Morning

Yer wack is used but is old school, you do get it a lot around the building sites from the old hands, so the joke is accurate. Most people from outside of liverpool call us Wack or Wacker as you say.

But now, mainly from the younger generation its

"kidda"

or

"Lid" Meaning "Lad"
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:59 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi jonjon08

Came across this on the Telegraph's website and I thought it might give you an up to date and fairly accurate picture of daily life in Dubai.

There is also a discussion board and FAQ section here that might be helpful.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/ma...tors/dubai.xml

Good luck x
Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Very useful article.

plenty of food for thought.