new to Dubai!

Old Aug 25th 2013, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

emj12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default new to Dubai!

Hello

My name is Emily and I am moving to Dubai on Friday from Canada!

I am going to teach there, a grade 1 classroom at a International school.

I am 23 years and it would be nice to meet other young people who are in Dubai!
My friend is also moving there to teach so if there are any tips/advice you have please post.

Also, how much is the internet per month (I get a free furnished apartment) but I need to set up internet. Also, I do not know what to do about my cell phone because when I first get there I do not want to roam because it is going to be so expensive...are phone plans cheap in Dubai and is it easy to set up (I would just want text messaging and local calling..because I can use viber or whatsapp for free.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice
Default Re: new to Dubai!

Hi there Emily---

You will meet many people of various ages and ethnic backgrounds.
The internet is widely available and not very expensive.

Your cell phone will work fine in UAE, you need to get yourself a SIM card once you arrive either Etisalat or Du. You would need to show your passport and the sim is available at all malls and also at supermarkets and gas stations.

Just take it easy - there are lots to learn and it takes some time to get used to...You may find it a bit hot....
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by emj12
Hello

My friend is also moving there to teach so if there are any tips/advice you have please post.

Also, how much is the internet per month (I get a free furnished apartment) but I need to set up internet. Also, I do not know what to do about my cell phone because when I first get there I do not want to roam because it is going to be so expensive...are phone plans cheap in Dubai and is it easy to set up (I would just want text messaging and local calling..because I can use viber or whatsapp for free.
Morning,

Internet varies but Du and Etisalat are much of the same (your building will have one or the other). I pay about 550/600 AED a month for basic TV + lots of sports packages + quick internet.

Just internet will be much cheaper, probably 300ish.

Get a sim card at the airport when you land, in duty free just ask for one and they'll tell you where to get one (if not there).

Do you know where you are working and living?

My mrs is a teacher here and settled immediately, loads of new friends on day one and loves it.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 6:03 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Emily, welcome to BE
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
My mrs is a teacher here and settled immediately, loads of new friends on day one and loves it.
Likewise for my better half.

You'll find there are lots of teachers you're age from N.America, the UK and Ireland in particular. They've all been in the same situation as you (arriving at a new school, in a new country and not knowing anyone) so most will be welcoming and helpful. In fact as the majority of people on Dubai have arrived not knowing anyone and are used to seeing people come and go it’s easier to meet new and welcoming people here than in many places.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 7:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Likewise for my better half.

You'll find there are lots of teachers you're age from N.America, the UK and Ireland in particular. They've all been in the same situation as you (arriving at a new school, in a new country and not knowing anyone) so most will be welcoming and helpful. In fact as the majority of people on Dubai have arrived not knowing anyone and are used to seeing people come and go it’s easier to meet new and welcoming people here than in many places.
Further to this accurate info; don't get attached to one or two people immediately. Talk to everyone at your school, all of the other new starters.

Some of the best friends the mrs has made are the people who she barely spoke to in the beginning.

Get out, get amongst it, say yes to everything (that you can afford) and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
say yes to everything
Well, almost everything!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 9:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
Well, almost everything!
Old Aug 26th 2013, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

emj12 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the tips and advice!!

I will be teaching just outside Dubai, in Sharjah and Wesgreen International School.

Is it good to get a sim at the airport? are they more pricey or the same everywhere?

Also, yea I would just want basic internet and no tv..I could just stream online

I am getting more excited now that I know it is easy to meet people
I just worry not a lot of people are my age..it seems like a lot of families are there.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Darling,

If you're teaching in Sharjah, you're living in Sharjah. Best of Canadian luck to you.

The young singles scene - drinking, social and sports, is firmly in Dubai and mostly all the way at the very other end of Dubai around the Marina district.

Be prepared to fork over a lot in taxi fares if you want to go out for a drink.

Sharjah isn't everyone's cup of tea (is it anyone's cup of tea?) but if you like what you see of Dubai you can apply for teaching positions at Dubai schools once your contract is over.

That's what most teachers do, methinks.

Anyhow, make mates among the teachers at your school, don't upset your head and bide your time till you get a proper role at a proper Dubai school.

Oh, I will say this - there's more to the UAE than just Dubai. Everyone ignores Sharjah and pretends it doesn't exist. But do try to go on camping trips in the desert or up in the mountains when the weather cools, or day trips to the East Coast beach resorts. They offer a more 'real' vibe to the UAE than the usual malls and bars of Dubai.

I will be teaching just outside Dubai, in Sharjah and Wesgreen International School.

Is it good to get a sim at the airport? are they more pricey or the same everywhere?

Also, yea I would just want basic internet and no tv..I could just stream online

I just worry not a lot of people are my age..it seems like a lot of families are there.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Jamesdavid is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Welcome to Dubai
Old Aug 28th 2013, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

rg91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Emily, I would love to hang out, my name's Rupert, I'm 22 and moving to Dubai next Friday!
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:29 pm
FSS
Just Joined

FSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Emily and Rupert,
I would love to hang out too.
I am a 22 year old female and arrived in Dubai yesterday!
I'll private mail you when I can.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Darling..Sharjah is most definitely NOT Dubai. Sharjah is dry (no booze) except I think the Rugby club. It is much more conservative.
Once you have made some friends, you can spend the weekend in Dubai..there are lots of cheaper hotels, especially around The MOE where you could stay and enjoy Dubai. Good luck and enjoy.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Hi_dubai is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Emily, Rupert & FSS.. I am a 23 year old guy and also moving to Dubai from England in November.. I hope you have all settled in by then and hope that I can fire some similar questions across to you guys nearer the time and maybe meet up together at some point in Nov

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.