Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Dress Code rules for Dubai?

New Dress Code rules for Dubai?

Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:19 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Dress Code rules for Dubai?

Originally Posted by Roadking
I can see the advert now "For Sale. Wanker. Regularly self-serviced."
'One good owner'
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
It is different to "have a word in someone's ear" than to publicly admonish someone on their apparel. I agree that if you have friends coming to visit then it is a good idea to advise them on what is appropriate, but it is not your place to play community police officer...
this is what too me aback - her "pants police" attitude - it was in a very public place, and whilst she was polite, she was very condescending, which for anyone that knows me - is not a smart thing to do....

Originally Posted by Eva
It wasn't really difficult tbh Weescot-went with one of our designers' wives
to collect kids from school- British Curriculum but many, many nationalities
including Emiratis.It was during Ramadan and I saw this silly bint in a strapless top and pelmet waiting to collect her kids.It was just too much!
Not as if she didn't know about Ramadan either given they apparently change class times to suit fasting etc.
I simply asked her if she thought she was dressed appropo.....
To me it was as if she didn't give a monkeys and that annoyed me.
Hey ho.....
I know I know, you find it incredible to think moi could be so gobby
I can understand why you said something. During Ramadan is particualrly insensitive and disrespectful. That would have annoyed me too. I have been tempted several times to say something from time to time to complete strangers as I am sensitive to the offence some of Western dress pose. But like Mata Hari, have restrained myself. Being non-confrontational is also a cultral consideration I try to observe (except in traffic when I am cut up...!!!)
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:27 am
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
this is what too me aback - her "pants police" attitude - it was in a very public place, and whilst she was polite, she was very condescending, which for anyone that knows me - is not a smart thing to do....

I can understand why you said something. During Ramadan is particualrly insensitive and disrespectful. That would have annoyed me too. I have been tempted several times to say something from time to time to complete strangers as I am sensitive to the offence some of Western dress pose. But like Mata Hari, have restrained myself. Being non-confrontational is also a cultral consideration I try to observe (except in traffic when I am cut up...!!!)

Ah yes that old chestnut :avoid confrontation while we master manipulation....
Was never invited back on the school run though!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Under the coexistence heading the policy promised that exercising personal freedoms is available to all, but stressed the ban on insults and verbal abuse and insults, and considered all kinds of hand signals or obscene gestures or aggressive offense generally carries a fine and imprisonment, with the need to respect all of the columns in the all places, and to provide the elderly and people with special needs, pregnant women, and avoid loud conversations or laughing loudly or whistling.

http://www.emaratalyoum.com/Articles...799102e9e.aspx
Awesome. We can be imprisoned and deported for laughing loudly. Free country right?

Also something in there about presenting information or rumours that can disrupt public security is at risk of a crime.

Of course the laws probably leave a lot of ambiguity just like any good sharia country so they can be twisted to suit the wanker that wants you busted.

Now this ****ing country really is turning into a police state.

Having said all that though.... most announcements about big changes in this country usually start of ridiculous and are then clarified by another 10 statements from various departments and sheikh's.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
Free country right?
Wrong... it isn't a free country. Clue - ruling families in each Emirate and no elections... been that way for hundreds of years....although by modern regional standards it appears more free.

From FCO country profile of UAE:

The UAE's system of government is enshrined in the 1971 constitution. It consists of the Federal Supreme Council (consisting of the rulers of the seven Emirates), a President and Vice President (elected by the Supreme Council for a five year term), a Council of Ministers and a 40-strong Federal National Council (drawn from representatives of all seven Emirates).
Old Mar 16th 2009, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think live and let live...it's not for me to start telling people how to dress appropriately in shopping malls or anywhere else and I would never start offering that kind of advice to strangers. We're supposed to be the laidback, free-thinking ones.....
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

scoobs is an unknown quantity at this point

i absolutely totally agree, I find the subject of what you can/can not wear extremely confusing and to be honest I too feel that I should wear what i feel is appropriate, having said that I don't think you'd see me wearing a bikini or a skirt up to my waist in a shopping mall but then again I wouldn't wear that here in the uk!!! I think dressing appropriately shouldn't necessarily mean you have to completely give up your own unique style and preference, the key is to improvise!!!
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

It was a British woman (in an abaya) and it was in Marina Mall Abu Dhabi. I was so taken aback as I had worn the same outfit several times to the same Mall, so I did respond frankly (perhaps a little too frankly). Furthermore, this is the third muslim country I have lived in, know enough of the culture and and know my comfort levels when it comes to dress and attracting "attention". My shoulders and cleavage were covered.... so assume it must have been the knees that prompted the comment.

If it had come from an Emirati, I would have gracefully taken her "feedback" - although I doubt an Emirati woman would ever have been so direct in such a public place to a stranger. But it has made me re-think shopping wardrobe ....
Converts.....oh wait...REverts....
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:38 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Wrong... it isn't a free country. Clue - ruling families in each Emirate and no elections... been that way for hundreds of years....although by modern regional standards it appears more free.
Indeed, it's one of the better dictatorships in the region - hardly free in most senses of the word.

How on earth anyone could call a country "free" that has laws against blasphemy, extra-marital sex, homsexuality, dress and rude gestures is beyond me...probably don't even know what freedom is...it's not being able to drive a big car and go to Barasti every weekend that's for sure!

N.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:41 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Converts.....oh wait...REverts....
"Reverts"...a good example of the arrogant presumption of religion if ever I hear one

N.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Norm.....but we all are born as Muslims...and then we become kuffir..don't tell me you did not know that...
Old Apr 10th 2009, 12:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexa
Norm.....but we all are born as Muslims...and then we become kuffir..don't tell me you did not know that...
what does kuffir mean?
Old Apr 10th 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

seraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of lightseraphnina is a glorious beacon of light

Non muslim, unbeliever. Seems to be a number of interpretations.

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5021901AAuxQIY
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Indeed, it's one of the better dictatorships in the region - hardly free in most senses of the word.

How on earth anyone could call a country "free" that has laws against blasphemy, extra-marital sex, homsexuality, dress and rude gestures is beyond me...probably don't even know what freedom is...it's not being able to drive a big car and go to Barasti every weekend that's for sure!

N.

Objection your honour, it´s not a dictatorship without a dictator...I would call it a feudal country perhaps but basically it´s about clan rule.
But of course not a "free" country in a western sense..but western values are retreating all over the globe anyway.

Most notably in the west I´m afraid..
Old Apr 10th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

It was a British woman (in an abaya) and it was in Marina Mall Abu Dhabi. ....
Maybe she was married to an Emirati , and so has access to the kind fo opinions we don't?

Like you said, they would not be as upfront about it in public. Although we do try to be culturally sensitive, maybe even the best of us are not doign enough...? There are certainly people who give everyone a bad name.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.