Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

New Dress Code rules for Dubai?

New Dress Code rules for Dubai?

Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:27 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Dress Code rules for Dubai?

Originally Posted by hawkhead
It would offend me. OK so I wouldn't bother going to security about it but why does someone think that the whole world around them wants to read what's written across their chests? Especially when it's swear words that are by definition offensive.
then your easily offended dear...

i dont like looking at pajero's as every time i see the badge it says 'wanker' i was going to write to the Mitsubishi sales manager and complain, but you know what, i cant be arsed
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:31 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emerald_Eyes
Sorry weescot - I never meant to infer that you would ever wear such an outfit - I was referring to some of the women I often see prancing around the Mall of the Emirates. I can't believe another Brit took issue with what you were wearing? I hope you told them where to go!
My understanding is that Weescot was wearing shorts in a mall in Abu Dhabi, which is much more conservative than Dubai, surely? My wife has encountered several young Asian women wearing hot pants to driving lessons, which is crazy in my view. The instructors are often single men or those with loved ones thousands of miles away.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

then your easily offended dear...
Yes I am. I hate the way swearing has become acceptable. Now, don't get me wrong, I swear like a....(whatever the simile is - something to do with soldiers?) but not in front of kids/old folk/anyone who I think might be offended by it. I certainly think that using swear words as an advertising campaign is tasteless and having them emblazoned across your chest is childish, to say the least.

i dont like looking at pajero's as every time i see the badge it says 'wanker'
?? Don't get it - unless you're saying all Pajero drivers are wankers?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:36 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bambi in Abu Dhabi
Yeah, me too. But not for obscenity reasons. That whole campaign was naff in the extreme and went on for waaaaay too long...

Kitty, what is wrong with wearing a sundress over a bikini?
oh, nothing's wrong with it, in context! I think they look really nice, but a/ would you go shopping in Tescos wearing one over your bikini and b/ in that scenario, is seeing a bikini underneath any better/worse than seeing a bra?

Maybe it's just me, but I have a "thing" about armpits and bras being on show... even though I bum around in a strappy top at home (even in the UK) I'd never wear anything that showed either armpits or bra straps in a work context, for example. I just use that little rule to define what I wear out here.

As for the "F***ING" slogan, well, yeah, I did find it highly offensive actually. The FC UK one is mildly amusing occasionally, but that one I couldn't believe it. Call me strange, but I don't swear in front of my kid (nor in general...) and I'd have severe words with anyone who did. In my mind, if you choose to wear a slogan, you are endorsing it and shouting it out to whoever happens to look at you. How would you react if the same chap walked past you and shouted the same slogan in your face?

Anyhow, I consoled myself with the fact that everyone who walked past him probably thought "what a tosser" ('scuse my French) instead of the hyper-cool dude he'd have himself believe he was.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

hawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to allhawkhead is a name known to all

Anyhow, I consoled myself with the fact that everyone who walked past him probably thought "what a tosser" ('scuse my French) instead of the hyper-cool dude he'd have himself believe he was.
Ha ha - yeah you're right!
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

?? Don't get it - unless you're saying all Pajero drivers are wankers?
pajero is spanish for wanker....

http://dictionary.reverso.net/spanish-english/pajero
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry weescot - I never meant to infer that you would ever wear such an outfit - I was referring to some of the women I often see prancing around the Mall of the Emirates. I can't believe another Brit took issue with what you were wearing? I hope you told them where to go!
Originally Posted by Millsyisland
I'm amazed too that it was a Brit that took issue with your shorts - I was assuming it was security or a local.

Do you know why he took issue, particularly if you weren't wearing hotpants - I always wear shorts when I go out shopping? Which mall was it?
It was a British woman (in an abaya) and it was in Marina Mall Abu Dhabi. I was so taken aback as I had worn the same outfit several times to the same Mall, so I did respond frankly (perhaps a little too frankly). Furthermore, this is the third muslim country I have lived in, know enough of the culture and and know my comfort levels when it comes to dress and attracting "attention". My shoulders and cleavage were covered.... so assume it must have been the knees that prompted the comment.

If it had come from an Emirati, I would have gracefully taken her "feedback" - although I doubt an Emirati woman would ever have been so direct in such a public place to a stranger. But it has made me re-think shopping wardrobe ....
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

pajero is spanish for wanker....
No way! Ha - that's really funny! Unless I was Spanish of course in which case I would find it very offensive....
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:51 am
banned

No way! Ha - that's really funny! Unless I was Spanish of course in which case I would find it very offensive....
that is why they are called Shoguns in Europe and South America.

See my point, people can be offended at all sorts of things, its easier just to look away than get involved.

I too would take onboard the advice of an emirati with regards to customs and respectful behaviour.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

See my point, people can be offended at all sorts of things, its easier just to look away than get involved.
Yes, agree entirely, I know it is one of my 'things' and that it doesn't bother other people in the slightest. (But of course I am right and they are all wrong. )
Old Mar 15th 2009, 7:56 am
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by weescot
It was a British woman (in an abaya) and it was in Marina Mall Abu Dhabi. I was so taken aback as I had worn the same outfit several times to the same Mall, so I did respond frankly (perhaps a little too frankly). Furthermore, this is the third muslim country I have lived in, know enough of the culture and and know my comfort levels when it comes to dress and attracting "attention". My shoulders and cleavage were covered.... so assume it must have been the knees that prompted the comment.

If it had come from an Emirati, I would have gracefully taken her "feedback" - although I doubt an Emirati woman would ever have been so direct in such a public place to a stranger. But it has made me re-think shopping wardrobe ....
Perhaps she is a convert - they can be even more dogged about that sort of thing than the locals. I think Emiratis are generally more flexible and relaxed about international influences than some people give them credit for. Often it is just the government putting out this sort of media. I also wonder whether the fact that the Government has taken money from Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia has had an impact on Dubai's need to appear to be cracking down on "loose behaviour". Apparently Sharjah used to be the party town of the UAE until it had to borrow money from Saudia Arabia. The Saudi Government said that they would lend Sharjah the money, but only if it went completely dry...

Last edited by Emerald_Eyes; Mar 15th 2009 at 8:01 am.
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Agree.
I really hate the whole French Connection UK thing too.
I love the **** range but I have to say I am surprised that they sell the slogan tee shirts here
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps she is a convert - they can be even more dogged about that sort of thing than the locals. I think Emiratis are generally more flexible and relaxed about international influences than some people give them credit for. Often it is just the government putting out this sort of media. I also wonder whether the fact that the Government has taken money from Abu Dhabi and Saudi Arabia has had an impact on Dubai's need to appear to be cracking down on "loose behaviour". Apparently Sharjah used to be the party town of the UAE until it had to borrow money from Saudia Arabia. The Saudi Government said that they would lend Sharjah the money, but only if it went completely dry...
which it didn't in the beginning, you used to get lager in a tea pot and it was served in tea cups
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:32 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by commander
I might sell my wanker
Old Mar 15th 2009, 8:34 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I might sell my wanker
I can see the advert now "For Sale. Wanker. Regularly self-serviced."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.