British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   New Dress Code rules for Dubai? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/new-dress-code-rules-dubai-597610/)

weescot Mar 15th 2009 5:31 am

New Dress Code rules for Dubai?

Has anyone seen this in the press?

http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2009/03/14/68405.html

It has also been reported by AFP, so some official announcement must have gone out, although it doesn't seem to be on the official Dubai government website yet...

http://www.dubai.ae/en.portal?topic,...pageLabel=home

Just incase anyone gets a "ticking off" - as I did in Abu Dhabi last weekend for wearing shorts in a mall :(

MataHari Mar 15th 2009 5:42 am

Re: New Dress Code rules for Dubai?

can't open that link...

In general I have to say that I cannot believe my eyes whenever I am somewhere like the Mall of the Emirates...women dressed up for shopping as if they are going out for some serious clubbing...women at Spinneys wearing spagetti strap tops and very short skirts, bending over to get stuff from the shelves...why would they do that as it is just a very uncomfortable outfit to wear for grocery shopping...and then they write to 7 days complaining they get oggled at...hmmmm...and men in swimshorts and a vest...not nice.
I do think there is a time and a place for certain clothes, not just here but everywhere you go...but it looks like common sense has gone out of the window for a lot of people...

weescot Mar 15th 2009 5:46 am

1 Attachment(s)
Just copied this for another forum. I do agree about how some dress in Malls - and it is what has maybe prompted this?

The Dubai Executive Council has issued general rules of conduct, which includes the development of standards of social ethics that citizens, residents and visitors must abide with respecting the culture, customs and religion of the Emirate of Dubai.

The regulation which Emarat Al Youm got a copy of requires whom concerned to respect the culture of the country and its people customs and traditions and to avoid all kinds of improper conduct in all parts of the emirate. The conduct has been circulated in all governmental departments and private companies in the Emirate of Dubai.

Under the Public Morals heading the policy stressed that symbols of the rulers, the State flag and national emblem, should be respected and any abuse toward them it a crime punishable by law.

The policy obligated all commuters in public areas including government offices, shopping malls, roads, restaurants, shops and others to wear appropriate clothing, as wearing inappropriate clothes, may prevent them from going to those places. Under this section trousers and skirts should be of appropriate length. The clothes should also not expose any part of the body in an inappropriate way or be transparent. They cannot also wear slogans and pictures that are considered offensive to any class of the society.

The regulation required beach-goers, and places to swim, both men and women, to wear appropriate swim suits in terms of the culture and customs of the society, and ban wearing them outside the beaches as dress code in the rest of the city require (modesty). Nudity is also prohibited in all kinds and is punishable by imprisonment and deportation by law.

The heading "attiudes between the sexes" prohibits kissing, hugging, fondling, flirting, sexual harassment, women harassment, holding hands and any acts that violate public decency. Any one committing those stuff will be considered a violator of public morals and it might be punishable by imprisonments and deportation. Only married couples can hold hand in a way that doesn't impair the public taste. Dancing and raising the music sound in a way that harms others in public places, parks, beaches and neighborhood is prohibited and is only allowed in licensed areas.

Under the substances heading the regulation emphasizes that consuming drugs and alcohol is strictly forbidden in Islam and is punishable by law. But because of the social diversity in the Emirate the consumption of alcohol is heavily regulated, pointing out that the possession of any type of psychotropic substances, and in any quantity is considered a crime and anyone caught under the influence of alcohol in non-designated spaces, even a dose of light, is exposed to a fine or imprisonment, and consumption of alcohol is restricted in designated areas.

The policy banned smoking in all means in governmental offices and shopping malls and is only allowed in designated area and anyone who who do otherwise would be held accountable.

Under this heading to it was pointed that the consuming drugs containing narcotics or psychotropic substances is banned by law, and addressed a violation punishable by law.

Under the coexistence heading the policy promised that exercising personal freedoms is available to all, but stressed the ban on insults and verbal abuse and insults, and considered all kinds of hand signals or obscene gestures or aggressive offense generally carries a fine and imprisonment, with the need to respect all of the columns in the all places, and to provide the elderly and people with special needs, pregnant women, and avoid loud conversations or laughing loudly or whistling.

It also stressed that the dissemination of news or data or the false and malicious rumors, and broadcast advertisements that disrupt public security and harm the public interest is at risk of a crime punishable by law. The policy also emphasized of the importance of caution when taking photographs, and that taking pictures of women and families deliberately and without their permission is not acceptable in the community of Dubai.

The list has a section of Islam and other religions, which required whom concerned to close the music in public places and cars near the mosque, when you hear the voice of prayer. In addition smoking, drinking and eating in public places during the day throughout the month of Ramadan is prohibited, and presents the author accountable.

The policy stressed on the prevention of any activity religious activities without the approval of the authorities.

http://www.emaratalyoum.com/Articles...799102e9e.aspx

Emerald_Eyes Mar 15th 2009 5:51 am

I agree with MH. Some of the sights you see in the malls here are pretty bad. A lot of people seem to think beachwear is acceptable clothing for every day wear?! It's not diffiult to wear some cotton trousers or jeans with a tshirt rather than micro hotpants and a bikini under a skimpy vest top. Besides, these restrictions don't seem to be anything new, they're just making a statement that they're going to crack down more on people flouting the rules.

weescot Mar 15th 2009 6:07 am

I don't think these regualtions are new either - and I do agree some need to be reminded of what is appropriate. My shorts certainly were not hotpants - or even that short (as I'm not young..) and it was a fellow Brit that took issue with my shorts. When I asked my Emirati freinds and colleagues (male and female) they were unanimous - it is the government's job to uphold regulations, not joe public. Which is what seems to be happening - at least in Dubai.

hawkhead Mar 15th 2009 6:19 am

In general I have to say that I cannot believe my eyes whenever I am somewhere like the Mall of the Emirates...women dressed up for shopping as if they are going out for some serious clubbing...women at Spinneys wearing spagetti strap tops and very short skirts, bending over to get stuff from the shelves...why would they do that as it is just a very uncomfortable outfit to wear for grocery shopping...and then they write to 7 days complaining they get oggled at...hmmmm...and men in swimshorts and a vest...not nice.
I do think there is a time and a place for certain clothes, not just here but everywhere you go...but it looks like common sense has gone out of the window for a lot of people...
Agree 100%

Only married couples can hold hand in a way that doesn't impair the public taste.
Is there a way you can hold hands which might impair the public taste?? Am I missing something?!

and avoid loud conversations or laughing loudly or whistling.
!!! No whistling? That's a bit harsh.

It also stressed that the dissemination of news or data or the false and malicious rumors, and broadcast advertisements that disrupt public security and harm the public interest is at risk of a crime punishable by law.
So no more "Mo is dead" rumours then please people.

MataHari Mar 15th 2009 6:20 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 7380468)
I don't think these regualtions are new either - and I do agree some need to be reminded of what is appropriate. My shorts certainly were not hotpants - or even that short (as I'm not young..) and it was a fellow Brit that took issue with my shorts. When I asked my Emirati freinds and colleagues (male and female) they were unanimous - it is the government's job to uphold regulations, not joe public. Which is what seems to be happening - at least in Dubai.

it's just that those rules refer to 'appropriate' all the time, which is a bit vague and can be open to different interpretations...

Emerald_Eyes Mar 15th 2009 6:37 am

Sorry weescot - I never meant to infer that you would ever wear such an outfit - I was referring to some of the women I often see prancing around the Mall of the Emirates. I can't believe another Brit took issue with what you were wearing? I hope you told them where to go!

Hello.Kitty Mar 15th 2009 6:45 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7380483)
it's just that those rules refer to 'appropriate' all the time, which is a bit vague and can be open to different interpretations...

I don't quite understand why women wear a sun-dress over their bikini to MotE... Also, the bit about slogans or brands that may be deemed offensive gets my :thumbsup: ... I once saw a young arab chap - again in MotE - sporting a T-shirt with "can you F***ING see this?" (no asterisks) taking up the whole of the front. I actually considered talking to security about it.

Anyhow, I'm glad about the "taking photos of women or families without permission" bit.

hawkhead Mar 15th 2009 6:47 am

Also, the bit about slogans or brands that may be deemed offensive gets my ... I once saw a young arab chap - again in MotE - sporting a T-shirt with "can you F***ING see this?" (no asterisks) taking up the whole of the front.
Agree.
I really hate the whole French Connection UK thing too.

Millsyisland Mar 15th 2009 6:50 am

I'm amazed too that it was a Brit that took issue with your shorts - I was assuming it was security or a local.

Do you know why he took issue, particularly if you weren't wearing hotpants - I always wear shorts when I go out shopping? Which mall was it?

Bambi in Abu Dhabi Mar 15th 2009 6:51 am

Originally Posted by hawkhead (Post 7380520)
Agree.
I really hate the whole French Connection UK thing too.

Yeah, me too. But not for obscenity reasons. That whole campaign was naff in the extreme and went on for waaaaay too long...

Kitty, what is wrong with wearing a sundress over a bikini?

commander Mar 15th 2009 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 7380516)
I actually considered talking to security about it.

why bother? surely that doesnt actually offend anyone?

i think they **** things are hideous but wouldnt go out of my way to clipe to the security in a friggin shopping mall..

jings..

hawkhead Mar 15th 2009 7:18 am

surely that doesnt actually offend anyone?
It would offend me. OK so I wouldn't bother going to security about it but why does someone think that the whole world around them wants to read what's written across their chests? Especially when it's swear words that are by definition offensive.

Kim67 Mar 15th 2009 7:26 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7380452)
can't open that link...

I agree, the way some women dress as the malls is a joke and some of the school mums picking up their kids in mini's with the fake boobs popping out of their tops make me laugh. I wish we all to wear abayas, then I could just take me kids to school in my pj's.